Yeah...but...What??

itibitikitimom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok...I have had cats FOREVER. And the one rule that I have ALWAYS adhered to is that you NEVER use products labeled for dogs...on cats. That was the first rule I learned and I've never diverged from it.

Today, I find that a site is selling kits that essentially make it possible to buy X-Large tubes of Advantage for Dogs and split it between smaller doses for cats thus making it loads cheaper for multiple cat households.

Has anyone any experience with this? Are Advantage Dog and Cat the same product only different dosage size? (I fully intend to call my vet about this tomorrow but just wanted some forum input too!)

I have to tell you...this TOTALLY goes against my whole kitty momma belief system and I'm somewhat afraid for people that are buying these "kits".

Have a great week everyone!!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to agree with you. I won't touch anything that doesn't say is OK for cats/kittens. Maybe others know of products you can do it with, but I don't.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done it with both Frontline and Advantage. The ingredients are exactly the same in the cat/dog formulas. Most products are NOT the same---NEVER do this with any other brand!!! (except I heard that you can do it with Revolution, too---my vet does it, but definitely research it yourself before trying it!). And make sure you're giving your cat the right dose for its size, because an overdose will certainly be harmful. I wouldn't recommend trying it if you're not comfortable with the concept.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know quite a few people with multiple cats that do this.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet does this as well. It is much cheaper if you have multiple cats.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Advantage is the same product regardless of the tube. There is no cat and dog advantage. The only difference between the two is the amount of product in the tube. You do save money if you buy a bigger dosing because you can split it up between your cats. You can call your vet clinic and they can tell you the dosing.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use one of these kits for Advantage, it saves me a lot of money. Of course I had it cleared by my vet before trying it, he says he does this too.

I would definately talk about it with your vet and be comfortable with dosage, etc. before considering it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

Advantage is the same product regardless of the tube. There is no cat and dog advantage. The only difference between the two is the amount of product in the tube. You do save money if you buy a bigger dosing because you can split it up between your cats. You can call your vet clinic and they can tell you the dosing.
the last sentence ASK your vet ... yes mine said it was fine but I have hand tremors so dosing myself could be an issue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

itibitikitimom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Hi!

Thanks for all the great feedback! I did talk to my vet and he gave me the go with proper dosing instructions. I have ten cats so this is going to save me an untold amount of moola while still feeling safe!

I guess, in this one instance, this old dog has learned a new trick!

Thanks again for all your feedback!

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have always used the large dog Advantage to dose cats. My veterinarian at the time compared the ingredients and gave me the go ahead. However, make sure you understand that K-9 Advantix is not the same thing as Advantage. It contains permethrin and should never be used on cats. The same company makes them and the packages look similar.

The method I find easiest to break down the large tubes of Advantage is to use a 1cc syringe. I insert it into the bottom of the tube, draw out the correct dose, twist off the needle leaving it in the tube, apply the Advantage and repeat. I'm sure everyone has their own method, but this works well for me.