IBD in cats

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe there is getting to be more interest in investigating the role of commercial, processed foods in IBD in cats:

http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/role-of-diet.html

After one week in the study, the cats on the rabbit diet all had significant improvements in their stool quality based on a visual stool grading system (developed by the NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]-Purina PetCare Company). After one month, the cats on the rabbit diet all had formed hard stools, while the commercial diet cats had soft formed to liquid stools.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Sadie has been diagnosed with IBD.

I would not what to wish this complicated disease on any kitty.
Thank you for sharing this important study with us.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

My Sadie has been diagnosed with IBD.

I would not what to wish this complicated disease on any kitty.
Thank you for sharing this important study with us.
My Maggie has IBD as well and I completely agree with you. This is probably the most complicated disease out there for cats since there is no known cause nor is there a standard treatment. It's a day to day struggle to make sure she eats and feels well. Thanks for the study!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

It's a day to day struggle to make sure she eats and feels well. Thanks for the study!
Day to day struggle is exactly right.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the raw diet?
I have seen many success stories feeding a raw diet to cats with this disease

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Has anyone tried the raw diet?
I have seen many success stories feeding a raw diet to cats with this disease
Unfortunately, the raw diet didn't work for my kitty. I tried it for a couple of months and had the same results (or lack of) as I did with commercial foods, so I gave up on it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tried raw as it worked well with CRF but cooked/ lightly cooked IMHO and experience works best for humans, dogs and cats

mypoorpeeky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 year old cat was diagnosed with IBD just four months ago.  The Vet did blood test and x-rays on her the second time I brought her in.  When I first brought her in it was because my cat was vomiting alot and vomiting blood.  The vet was not concerned saying she must have broken a vein from vomiting.  She did not diagnose her with IBD at that time.  She just told me to change her food hard food was hard for cats to digest, and she recommended the foods she had there. I bought the cans but my cat was never on soft food before so I also bought the bag foods in the same type. well my  cat hated both foods would not eat it. She continued vomiting blood constant vomit. I took her back, and the vet did the x-rays and blood work. She said the cat had IBS and would put her on prednisone, and an antibiotic.  The cat got a little better as I bought Natural balance hard food for her because the only soft she would eat was white tuna, and only about a 1/4 can a day of that which was not enough.  My cat got better for two weeks, then it all came back in her bowels mostly this time. Constantly diarrhea with blood in her stool. I called my vet she said keep giving her the prednisone every day. I did that for one week where my kitty did not get better at all only worse. The vet said I could also give her the same food she had been eating all her life the pred should still help her. Well her stool was bloody, she did not go out at all, would not leave my room in fear that she would not make her kitty litter box.  After a few days she would not eat or drink because she was so sick, she would fall over when she got up to walk from weakness.  The last day of her life on top of the diarrhea she began her vomiting again.  We brought her back to the vet where the vet said that my cats quality of life was not good.  She could do an exploratory which would cost over a thousand bucks, but the cat had lost weight, and she was very weak. The vet did not really want to do the exploratory on her. She thought it best we let her go. The cat was in so much pain, and I am feeling dead over this.  I tried everything, bought almost every kind of foods that is out there trying to get her to eat it and feel better.  This disease is deadly.  At the beginning my vet lead me to believe that it could be handled, but it never is. They seem better for a little bit, then it comes back on full force, and the cat is in pain.  My cat was my life although I have another cat and two dogs, this one was born in my house, and became my child only trusting me, and I was her protector.  I don't know if I'll ever get over the pain, but I wanted to share this with anyone out there that has a cat with IBD,  It is very painful for your cat, and it can be deadly. You will probably be going back and fourth to the Vet.  They constantly get relapses.  It's just so sad, and my heart is broken badly.  Ask your vet to tell you the truth about this disease, and not get your hopes up saying it can be controlled.  The prednisone does not control it fully.