I need food advice: What is a better quality food for less.

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently use Royal Canin. Its the young adult YWS34 neutered cat up to 7 years 6lb. bags. I think I pay $14 a bag at the vet. He has had this food since we adopted him approx. two years ago and seems to enjoy it. I am looking for something that is better quality for less $$. Is there anything that I could buy at Super Wal-Mart or PetsMart as these are close to me?

Also, We do give him two small cans of Sheba cat food a week to break up his diet. Is that OK? We also give him fresh drinking water from the store instead of tap water. We think it's more healthy for him.

I would greatly appreciate all opinions. It just comes down to trying to get the best cat food for the $$.

Thank You.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet food is good and the sheba in the gold cup is good quality but not a complete food ( fine to feed as a supplement)

what price range do you need >>??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Wet food is good and the sheba in the gold cup is good quality but not a complete food ( fine to feed as a supplement)

what price range do you need >>??
Well, I currently pay $14 for 6lbs. at the vet's office. I would like to get the same quality if not better for less at Wal-Mart or PetsMart. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am unfamiliar with that particular food ... can you put up a link??

purina naturals is a decent food and about 1$ a lb ..... walmart and supermarkets ...

Diamond naturals ( also Costco kirkland) .50 -1.00 a lb and solid foods ... feed stores

Nutro max roughly 1.50 a lb petsmart

Authority roughly 1.25 a lb at petsmart

Brandon farms some grocery stores about 2$ a lb

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I am unfamiliar with that particular food ... can you put up a link??

purina naturals is a decent food and about 1$ a lb ..... walmart and supermarkets ...

Diamond naturals ( also Costco kirkland) .50 -1.00 a lb and solid foods ... feed stores

Nutro max roughly 1.50 a lb petsmart

Authority roughly 1.25 a lb at petsmart

Brandon farms some grocery stores about 2$ a lb
This is what I currently use.

http://www.royalcanin.us/products/pr...il.aspx?ID=109

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

For some reason I cannot access the ingredients or the nutrient profile ... BUT ONE big CAUTION this is a vet diet , Thus I HIGHLY recxommend asking the vet prior to trying any other food...
Royal Canin is the only food the vet sells. My Cat is not on a special diet. They just want me to buy the food from them so they make a profit. I am willing to take suggestions on some high quality dry foods I can buy at PetsMart, PetCo or even Super Wal-Mart.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What sharky means is that the food you currently feed is essentially a "vet only" or "prescription" diet (as by it's name on the website ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet) - basically only vets sell it. I guess when I think of vet diets - I think of prescription diets such as Science Diet Z/D (for allergies), or S/D or C/D (for UTI issues), or K/D (for kidney issues). Before you switch foods, be sure there was no medical reason your vet suggested this food.

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

What sharky means is that the food you currently feed is essentially a "vet only" or "prescription" diet (as by it's name on the website ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet) - basically only vets sell it. I guess when I think of vet diets - I think of prescription diets such as Science Diet Z/D (for allergies), or S/D or C/D (for UTI issues), or K/D (for kidney issues). Before you switch foods, be sure there was no medical reason your vet suggested this food.
I adopted my Cat approx. 2 years ago. First time I ever had a cat. I bring him to the vet for a general check-up. I ask the Vet what would be a good quality food to feed my Cat. The Vet suggested Royal Canin "The exact one at the top of this thread" The Vet did not put him on it for any reason. I noticed that the Vet only sells Royal Canin. They will only suggest the product they sell. I'm looking for other suggestions because That is the only food I know. There has to be something just as good or even better at a lower price point.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sharky's recommendations are good, I'll just add a couple more

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul---slightly better than Kirkland/Diamond Naturals, but you have to find a feed store that sells it

Maxximum Nutrition---sold at Wal-Mart, not a bad food. A little bit better than Purina Naturals

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

sharky's recommendations are good, I'll just add a couple more

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul---slightly better than Kirkland/Diamond Naturals, but you have to find a feed store that sells it

Maxximum Nutrition---sold at Wal-Mart, not a bad food. A little bit better than Purina Naturals
?? your Walmart still has maxxiumum?? Mine does not is why I ask.. yes it is a good choice

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah but they're not good at restocking. So they'll get a shipment occasionally, then when it runs out you might have to wait a bit before they get more. But maybe some other Wal-Marts are better at restocking? You'd think, anyway.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Yeah but they're not good at restocking. So they'll get a shipment occasionally, then when it runs out you might have to wait a bit before they get more. But maybe some other Wal-Marts are better at restocking? You'd think, anyway.
lol.. one would think when that is your job to stock shelves you would stock them

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart carries Royal Canin, altho not that particular one. but i buy mine there - i choose to use it because my senior does well on it, & she's a 'dry only' eater. i get the RC Special 33 - one of the higher priced varieties, but Pixel has fewer herpes flares when i'm feeding it. but they carry several varieties - that's a link to their webpage.

during tough financial times, tho, i can't/won't be able to afford it. i would choose Authority [Petsmart's house brand] as my 2nd choice - mainly because they all like it, & it's easily obtainable & very affordable. i also think it's quite good value.

Wal-Mart's Maxximum is a decent food, but here it's pricier than the Authority, & the Petsmart is in the same area, so personally, i'd get the latter.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

For some reason I cannot access the ingredients or the nutrient profile ... BUT ONE big CAUTION this is a vet diet , Thus I HIGHLY recxommend asking the vet prior to trying any other food...
i was able to access the ingredients by downloading a pdf file... here they are:
Ingredients:
ROYAL CANIN Veterinary DietÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] feline YOUNG ADULT YWSâ„¢ 34 NEUTERED CAT dry
Chicken meal, rice, ground corn, chicken, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, pea fiber, natural flavors, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), chicken fat, powdered cellulose, dried egg product, anchovy oil (source of EPA / DHA), potassium chloride, sodium chloride, DL-methionine, calcium sulfate, sodium tripolyphosphate, monosodium phosphate, soya oil, choline chloride, L-lysine, taurine, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), rosemary extract,preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i was able to access the ingredients by downloading a pdf file... here they are:
Ingredients:
ROYAL CANIN Veterinary DietÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] feline YOUNG ADULT YWSâ„¢ 34 NEUTERED CAT dry
Chicken meal, rice, ground corn, chicken, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, pea fiberwe have corn and rice already why corn gluten and wheat plus extra veggie fiber , natural flavors, dried beet pulp (sugar removed)not the item but how it is processed that causes allergens in some, chicken fat, powdered cellulose, dried egg product, anchovy oil (source of EPA / DHA), potassium chloride, sodium chloride, DL-methionine, calcium sulfate, sodium tripolyphosphate, monosodium phosphate, soya oil, choline chloride, L-lysine, taurine, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), rosemary extract,preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid
Thank you Laureen! I have to check my security settings..

It is along the line ingredient wise of purina naturals

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you Laureen! I have to check my security settings..

It is along the line ingredient wise of purina naturals
Thank You Laureen And Sharky!

I was wrong about the price I pay for the RC. I pay $20 for 7lb. bag

Is there anything just as good or better for less? I have a PetsMart near me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think just about anything would be less expensive than that! Petsmart has a decent brand called Spa Selects.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my RC from Petfooddirect.com when they have 22% off sales, as I find they are much cheaper than the pet stores and I can buy the 15 pound bag for usually about $35, shipping included (using the 22% off discount.)