Bugsy went to the ER tonight

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you might know, Bugsy showed up yesterday with some Eye issue.
Well, I decided to wait to see if it got better, and this morning it was actually worst, but I thought if it was herpes, getting a bit worst before it got better would be normal. He was eating and acting ok in the morning.... Then this evening he got diarrhea, his eyes got really bad, now both, not only one, and he became really lethargic. He also stopped eating, not even tuna. I decided to take him to the ER, even though I am broke...
Well, the vet said that his eye are like this because of an URI, and also she said he is showing signs of bacterial infection, as he had a 104 F fever... She said he has acute colitis, and was also dehydrated.
She said that to find out exactly what he had, she would need to run an extensive battery of tests, but she could treat him preemptively based on the signs he is showing. I decide to do that, as I had no money.
She gave him a sub-Q, and prescribed 5 days of Metronidazole, and 7 days of Tobramycin eye drops. She thinks that he might have giardia, and that this antibiotic will take care of it if that is the case. She said the antibiotics will also take care of the inflammation on his GI tract.
Well, the results.... $247 (the antibiotic was $73!!!), and a check that will need to be covered Monday I don't know how (well, probably dad)... I don't care, at least I know he is going to be ok... I was very scared for him tonight.
He got home feeling better I think, as he ate about 1 tbsp of Tuna (I mixed bene-bac into it).
Please send vibes to my Bugsy

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh girl, I'm soooo sorry you are going through all of this with Bugsy. Poor boy and poor Mama

Lots of for both of you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Bugsy! So glad you acted quickly and got him to the vet, though! Run the vaporizer or steam him to help with the URI, keep wiping the goop out of his eyes with a warm wash cloth, and make sure he eats and drinks.

I don't remember, but has he been tested for Herpes?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no poor Bugsy! This all sounds like a really stressful situation, I hope Bugsy feels better fast!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Bugsy. I'm so glad you got him to the vet.

Dads are great to have around especially for their little girls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Poor little Bugsy! So glad you acted quickly and got him to the vet, though! Run the vaporizer or steam him to help with the URI, keep wiping the goop out of his eyes with a warm wash cloth, and make sure he eats and drinks.

I don't remember, but has he been tested for Herpes?
Thanks! He is not really congested, he is sneezing a few times a day - his eyes are the the worst problem... One of them is barely open... He hasn't been tested for herpes yet, but I am pretty sure he has it.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Poor Bugsy. I'm so glad you got him to the vet.

Dads are great to have around especially for their little girls.
Thanks - I am glad too... It caught me by surprise that he was running a fever - poor thing was not feeling well. I am not proud of needing my dad at my age, but sometimes you need help, right? Thank goodness I have wonderful parents!

Originally Posted by mews2much

I hop he fels better fast.
Thanks Jacky - and thanks for tipping me to take him in

Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Poor Bugsy (and Christina!)

He starts feeling much better very soon!
Thanks

Originally Posted by Cat.Ling

Oh, I really hope Bugsy gets better fast!
Thanks

Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Oh girl, I'm soooo sorry you are going through all of this with Bugsy. Poor boy and poor Mama

Lots of for both of you.
Thanks Chris! Yeah, poor guy (and meowmy) needs a break!

Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

for you and Bugsy. Being dehydrated made him feel even worse. Poor baby.

for a quick recovery.
Thanks! I never thought dehydration would make him feel so bad... He is feeling SOOO much better after the Sub-Q!

Originally Posted by ut0pia

Oh, no poor Bugsy! This all sounds like a really stressful situation, I hope Bugsy feels better fast!!
Thanks ut0pia - stressful is right! He is feeling better now - running around like a little champ! It makes me even think if it was really an emergency... But at the same time I know that he was already dehydrated, and not eating or drinking, which makes me think it would be hard to make him better without the sub-Q and the antibiotic. I think she was right on the money with the GI tract infection, and the possible giardia. Seeing him so much batter today makes me feel like I did the right thing...
Thank you all for the vibes - we both appreciate it!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear. Murphy's Law at work. Poor baby and Mom!

Hey - there's no shame in turning to your parents. Bugsy is your "child."

for his recovery and that you get a good break !!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Oh, dear. Murphy's Law at work. Poor baby and Mom!

Hey - there's no shame in turning to your parents. Bugsy is your "child."

for his recovery and that you get a good break !!!!!
Thanks AddieBee... Yeah, you do what you need to, right? I need Murphy to give me a break alright - his law went already too far!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your lemon kitty continues with problems. He is very lucky to have you take care of him. Healing vibes for Bugsy

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hop he fels better fast.
didn't even get here yesterday [migraine] but adding my & for healing, both for Bugsy & for your finances!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear Bugsy isn't well and sorry that it's taking a toll on you! Lots and lots of get well
and
to both of you!!!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, poor Bugsy and mommy! Glad to hear he is getting a bit better now though.. for a fast recovery!!