What Happened to Hope's Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As most of you are aware Hope Hacker, a long-time member, passed away recently. Upon hearing of her death, Susan (Rosiemac) contacted the family to offer condolences on behalf of the team and members and was told that the cats were with friends. She also saw this posted on the KISS/Paul Stanley website. A few days later she spoke to a different member of the family and found out that this was not the case. The animals had been seized by animal control and placed in a shelter. As they were in a public shelter they had 30 days from when they were brought in to be adopted or claimed, or they would be euthanized. At this point, Susan took up the cause and worked tirelessly to get to the bottom of the situation.

Nial (Kai Bengals) had already been in contact with Susan in regard to Angel, whom Hope had adopted from him. Upon hearing that these animals were in a shelter, Nial offered to take Simba as well as Angel.

Nial needed someone in Los Angeles to physically get these cats out of the shelter and get them vet checked and on a plane. There was also the matter of where Shane and SunLee could go. The decision was made to contact Sarah (sarahp). While not in Los Angeles, she is in California and has contacts in the area.

The cats that were in the shelter were signed over by Hope's family to Nial. Unfortunately Simba was not at the shelter. He was not captured by animal control. The family did search her apartment and did not find him. We do not know of Simba's whereabouts. but Hope's brother thinks that he may have run out of the door and that a neighbor has him. We hope this is the case and that he is being well taken care of.

Through the tireless efforts of Susan, Nial, Sarah and her contacts, the three other cats are now out of the shelter. Angel has been reunited with her breeders, Nial and Teri.

Sarah first contacted Kimberly from Briland PotCats Rescue. She picked up the cats from the shelter, looked after Sun Lee and Shane for the day until Siamese Rescue came by, and organized Angel's transport, took her for a vet check up, and got her on a plane to Nial.

Donations to Briland for their help are greatly appreciated. Their website is http://www.briland.com/cats.htm and you can donate through PayPal at that site (or through this shortened link - http://tinyurl.com/cu9kwa) or send a check to BMF, 10153 Riverside Drive Suite 244 - Toluca Lake CA 91602 noting that the donation is earmarked for the PotCats project.

Deborah and Karen from Siamese Rescue coordinated things in Los Angeles for Hope's Siamese cats. Karen heads up Siamese Rescue SoCal, and sent out a call for a foster home for Shane and SunLee, which Deborah responded to. Deborah is fostering both of them, and the rescue will be spending a good chunk of money giving the cats the best care - sending them to a "cat whisperer" holistic vet and will get them taken care of while causing as little stress as possible to the cats.

Shane and Sun Lee are are now up for adoption. Considering the trauma they must have been through, they are both very friendly and affectionate.

Any donations to So Cal Siamese Rescue in Hope's memory to defray the veterinary care, food, phone and fuel costs they incurred saving Shane and SunLee will be greatly appreciated. This organization went to great lengths to get Hope's cats out of the ASPCA and to a vet for examination and treatment.

Shane and SunLee are now looking for a forever home. If any members are interested in adopting Hope's two Siamese, their listings are here:

http://cs.siameserescue.org/webbuild.php

Hope's cats are part of the TCS Family and we are thrilled that through the efforts of Susan, Nial, Sarah and her contacts these cats are now safe with people looking out for their well being. Though they will downplay what they have done, we don't know what would have happened to these cats without their intervention. We thank them from the bottom of our hearts.

This is a good reminder to everyone that you are never too young to have your affairs in order along with a plan for your pets.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We certainly have wonderful members here on TCS.

I have so much admiration and respect for Susan for stepping up, all the way from England, to organize this piece by piece. And of course Sarah and Nial for stepping up and helping these babies. And everyone else who were helping.

What a fantastic community of cat lovers that have really made me proud to be apart of.

Im sure Hope will be able to be at peace knowing that her babies are being cared for.

Thank you TCS and MODS for providing info for us as a group to be able to come forward and help the ones that are helping these babies.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. And to all involved that was wonderful work!

I had a really bad feeling about her cats. Maybe because I've seen too often where something happens to someone and the family is all to happy to turn the pets out.
My MIL recently told me of such a situation - a guy is going into a nursing home and none of the family wish to take care of his older declawed cat.

I have no family to rely on to care for my pets, only DH. So lets all hope nothing happens to both of us.

Has anyone been checking with the shelter to see if Simba has turned up? If he never does, maybe he was lucky enough to find someone to love him.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Susan, Nial, Terri, Sarah, Heidi - what can I say you are ALL angels!

I'm so glad that Angel has been reunited with Nial. I'm so sad about Simba and I hope Sunlee and Shane can find homes soon!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sit here with Eden in my lap, hoping that the best homes can be found for Shane & SunLee - and that Simba is in good hands, wherever he may be.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm so glad that Angel has been reunited with Nial. I'm so sad about Simba and I hope Sunlee and Shane can find homes soon!
For a job well done. For Simba

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Can't say it any better. I'm humbled by the passionate commitment of these wonderful people. Bless you all.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I was closer I would take them both. But unfortunetly I live way across the other side of the states and no way to get them..

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering today what happened to her cats. I am glad they are all safe and sound and pray Simba found a home and isn't out on the streets somewhere.
She will always watch over her kitties from heaven.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Simba turns up.
I think its terrible they ended up in the pound when they said they were being taken care of.
I am glad Nial is taking Angel back and hope the others get homes.
I am going to ask Lisa tomorrow at the cat show if she knows anyone taht will take the siameses.
She lives in Glendale and does Rex rescue.
Thanks to everyone that is helping find thm homes.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Deborah, who is fostering SunLee and Shane is a wonderful person, and by the emails we have exchanged, she is the perfect place for these cats to get the love and care they deserve. Siamese Rescue are doing an amazing job with these cats, and I have no doubt they will ensure they go to the perfect home.

I will pass on any updates

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I think its terrible they ended up in the pound when they said they were being taken care of.
It is, so hopefully now their out we can find them loving homes.

I would love to see a TCS member stepping up to give one of them a home, and i know Hope would rest in peace knowing it as well

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I would love to see a TCS member stepping up to give one of them a home, and i know Hope would rest in peace knowing it as well
It is an honor to be associated with such smart, caring people who, against all odds, got Hope's kitties out of a public city shelter and into safe environments.

Now it's time, if at all possible, for another TCS member to open their heart and home to Shane and Sun Lee.

At the very least, if you can, donate funds to help offset the expense of their care until they are adopted.

Large or small, any amount helps.

My thoughts remain hopeful that Simba is OK.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to thank Susan and Sarah once again for their tremendous efforts to free Hope's cat from LAAS. I could not have accomplished my small part had it not been for the 2 of them.

Susan was the hub of the wheel to get this project in motion, keeping everyone that needed to know in the loop about new developments. Due to the time difference between the UK and the USA, this was often done late at night. Many, many phone calls were made to get the details sorted out and Susan was tireless in getting the facts straight.

Without Sarah getting involved, contacting Kimberly at Briland Pot Cats Rescue, we would have had a very difficult time securing someone responsible and willing to pull the cats from LAAS and then see to their safety. It would have been especially difficult to find someone willing to have Angel vetted and transported to the airport for shipment to me.
Sarah kept in constant contact with Kimberly to ensure things progressed smoothly.

I should add that Kimberly did an excellent job getting Angel back to us without issue. Once Angel has recovered from her ordeal, we will search for the perfect new home for her.

Teri and I hope Simba was taken in by a neighbor and that he is safe.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's extremely heartwarming to see how everyone pulled together to care for these cats

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What wonderful people you all are! I cannot believe what a wonderful community this is

Hope would be so happy knowing the three of you worked so hard to find her furbabies a good home

I hope they can find Simba soon though.....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds wonderful. Its nice to know how close knit websites can be. Thanks to all who helped in this sad situation. I do hope we can find out about Simba and where he is.

I loved SunLea - she's was a wonderful looking Siamese. Right now we are at our quota for pets (hubby's rules) or I'd love to have her. I know she will get a wonderful home and hopefully with a TCS member.

Status
Not open for further replies.