He is finally home! Nasir!

esmedarling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it was a long day for both of us, but Nasir is finally home!
He came from a rescue, but hadn't been there long and they hadn't had time to give him a bath. He was very very stinky! Poor guy, got carried into my house and put in the kitchen sink! LOL! He is kinda damp still in these pictures, but he smells better!!!

anway, here he is, my Nasir
He is a very sturdy cat! Thick tree trunk like legs and big round face. I think he has already stolen my heart.... He is a little shy though, and is hiding under my junk shelf...

He has very pretty eyes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esmedarling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He.... Is...Terrified!!!! He hasn't moved or eaten or pottied since I put him in his room. Is this normal? The rescue lady said he was very scared and has only recently come out of hiding. They had him for about 11 days and she said yesterday was the first day she saw him laying out of hiding like a "normal" cat does.

Should I be concerned he is going to go into shock or something.... I hope he starts to feel comfortable soon... poor guy!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Suggestions that have been made for this problem before:

1. Put him in as small a room as you can (preferably a bathroom), with his food, water, and litter, and maybe a box that he can hide in. Don't put him in a larger room where he can hide or where there is any chance of his escaping.

2. Go in the room regularly to talk to him gently. Don't look directly at him. Reading aloud while you sit on the floor has worked for some people.

3. Don't be surprised if he crawls in your lap while you're doing this!

If he has a history of being shy, it may take a while. He thinks he has been taken to a place full of monsters who are going to eat him. However, once he gets over this fear, he may very suddenly come out of his shell.

esmedarling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Suggestions that have been made for this problem before:

1. Put him in as small a room as you can (preferably a bathroom), with his food, water, and litter, and maybe a box that he can hide in. Don't put him in a larger room where he can hide or where there is any chance of his escaping.

2. Go in the room regularly to talk to him gently. Don't look directly at him. Reading aloud while you sit on the floor has worked for some people.

3. Don't be surprised if he crawls in your lap while you're doing this!

If he has a history of being shy, it may take a while. He thinks he has been taken to a place full of monsters who are going to eat him. However, once he gets over this fear, he may very suddenly come out of his shell.
Thank you for the suggestions. He is in my bedroom, which is not very big. My mattress lays on the floor so he can't get under that.

I made a little "closet" like area for him. I have a book case that I pulled away from the wall and used a dog crate (without the dog of course!) to make a little square where he is hiding under a wire shelf. His food and water, a rug and his litter box are all in that area. He can get in and out of his "closet" easily, but hasnt' moved out from under the shelf.

I expect he will take a little time to come around. I have not let our other cat or any of the dogs into the bedroom. He can just have some time to adjust, I just hope he eats and drinks something soon. He hasn't gone potty or had anything to eat or drink for about 11 hours. He was in the car since 10 am this morning then in my car all the way home and he hasn't moved since after his bath.

I hope he comes around soon. he seems like such a sweety, just really scared!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nasir is gorgeous...

Along with the excellent info. that mrblanche posted, TCS has a Behavior Forum, that might be a useful place for you to post a question about Nasir's shyness.

Be patient...
over time, he will learn to trust you.

Congratulations on your new family member.

esmedarling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I think he had an ok night. I wanted to see if he would eat so I left on a small pile on the floor. He ate it all, and I could see some "backwash" in his water. He also pottied.

He even moved to a new hiding spot! LOL! I sat and talked to him for a while and he let me pet him but he didn't want to come out. Poor guy, hasn't had an easy life so far. Now he is living high on the hog, hopefully he will like it here!

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nasir's a very handsome cat and I hope you have many great years together.

It's going to take time for him to become comfortable with the new situation. All he knows is that he has gone from one place to another and to another over a short period of time. He has no idea that this is home for him now. He probably worries that he will uprooted again. Don't try to rush things. Be patient.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing great. Most cats don't eat for a day or two when they get somewhere new so I wouldn't worry about that! But yeah! That he drank and used the potty!
Some cats will take more time to get comfortable, so I would keep him confined (even if it's over a week) until he is getting brave with you. You don't want him loose in the house with a bunch of dogs he doesn't know if he's still feeling timid and scared, you might end up not being able to find him!

All the other advice is good, just spend time in the room talking to him, he WILL come around, some cats just take time to get used to new surroundings. Good luck, he is BEAUTIFUL!

esmedarling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your advice. I went up stairs and talk to him for a while, then coaxed him out from under my dresser. He sat with me for a while and I petted and talked to him. I stood up with him and set him on my widow - cat shelf. It is attached to the widow sill and is covered in carpet. He sat and looked out the widow and even let me walk away and walk back up to him without him running away. I was impressed!

He is so pretty. I am a little worried though, I can hear his breathing quiet easily. I hope he dosn't have a cold or something. is this normal for a big cat, who is stressed? or should I be worried he is sick. His nose is clean, no gunk.

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nasir is a doll. I love his big, round eyes and face. I can't really comment on the breathing thing, but one of my cats breathes noisily from time to time. He has no health problems.

Good luck with Nasir. I just know he'll come around with time, love, and patience.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EsmeDarling

thank you for your advice. I went up stairs and talk to him for a while, then coaxed him out from under my dresser. He sat with me for a while and I petted and talked to him. I stood up with him and set him on my widow - cat shelf. It is attached to the widow sill and is covered in carpet. He sat and looked out the widow and even let me walk away and walk back up to him without him running away. I was impressed!

He is so pretty. I am a little worried though, I can hear his breathing quiet easily. I hope he dosn't have a cold or something. is this normal for a big cat, who is stressed? or should I be worried he is sick. His nose is clean, no gunk.
A big stressed cat could def. breath like that without it being a health problem. i wouldn't rush him to the vet just yet (another car trip might cause more harm). If you notice any discharge or other symptoms then it might be time to worry, post in health I'm sure someone will help! But chances are it's just a new situation type behaviour

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should enter one of those "wet" photos in the April calendar photo contest. Check in the "Fur Photo" section of the Cat Lounge here.