Stinky Cat?

melissah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had Sawyer since Thursday night and he still stinks!

Let me explain. I was given him by a woman and son who could no longer keep their cats. He is 10 months old and was neutered on that same thursday. The few days before I took him in he was just about 100% of the time living in a crate because the woman had snuck him in her temporary 5th wheel he was living in that belonged to her boss. So now he stinks like urine. Most likely from being kept in the crate. I bought some wipes from the pet store and used them but it did not do the trick. I also have a spray for odor and dander made bu Natures Miracle for dogs and cats. Is that okay to use on him. Last night I finally seen he started to clean himself. But he is stinking up everything he lies on.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Give him a bath?

To make it less traumatic you could fill a couple buckets full of water and dunk him in that, scrub him down, then dunk him in the rinsing bucket so there's no loud scary water noise, just the buckets...

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not familiar with the product you mentioned, but I'm sure that he will not stink forever. Mama was a stinky feral (not urine but smelled like a skunk) Not too long after bringing her in, with the proper diet and care she smelled like a normal cat. We still call her Stinky Cat just because of when she first came to us.

I really don't know if a bath is the way to go if he is still jittery. Especially if he just had surgery. At least you can avoid his wounds if you are sponge bathing him .

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he was just neutered, no bath for 14 days my vet says.

I don't know there's much to do, other than wiping him down. He will clean himself off.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a look at his teeth (if he'll let you!). I took in a stray and she smelled really bad. Turned out her teeth were just terrible, so when she licked herself the smell transferred to her fur. I had her teeth cleaned when she was spayed, and the problem was solved. And, most tomcats really do stink. Maybe once the hormones have worn off he'll smell better.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ohhh I forgot the neutered part... I'd probably still give him a bath just don't get his parts soaked. If you're uncomfortable maybe take a soapy wet rag and wipe him down, then take a wet rag and wipe him down, then wipe him dry... then he wouldn't get his neuter site wet.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guess is that he smells like an intact male, which is very smelly, like strong urine. He may even be spraying. All that should stop after a couple of weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

My guess is that he smells like an intact male, which is very smelly, like strong urine. He may even be spraying. All that should stop after a couple of weeks.
Really? I never knew intact male cats smelled. How come? That is probably it and maybe it will subside. Yeserday morning we woke to find the hallway right outside our bedroom stunk. There were no spray marks so we figured he had slept near the door.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah. Yes, I imagine he's spraying. It would only take a little bit to have a very strong smell. You may want to keep him restricted to one small area until he quits smelling that way.

If you've ever smelled it before, you would recognize it immediately. His litter box will also have that strong smell.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melissah

Really? I never knew intact male cats smelled. How come?
To attract the lady cats
. Seriously, I don't know if they rub their urine all over themselves (intact male ferrets do this....yuck!) or if it just comes from their skin, but toms are usually quite stinky. Hopefully it'll subside quickly for you. With my cousin's kitty (we had to wait to neuter him until he was showing signs of being a tom because he was cryptorchid and the vet thought he might have been neutered very young, didn't want to do surgery until we were sure he was intact), the odor went away after about 3-4 weeks.