TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Mouse Poison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mouse Poison

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
If a mouse eats some poison and my cat eats this mouse, would it harm her? Just wanted to know. We have a little mouse problem and our cats are getting excited. LOL I am not sure if a mouse can eat enough poison to kill a cat, but I would like to be reassured. Thanks!
post #2 of 9
I'm not sure but I have heard cats can bleed to death after eating a mouse that has been poisoned. Why take chances? Maybe you can try some type of safe (for cats) mouse trap instead.
post #3 of 9
why not get a live mouse trap? then everyone will be safe.
post #4 of 9
Yes, it can make your cats sick. As others have suggested, use traps. Also, even if you're not putting down any poison, but one of your cats manages to catch and eat a mouse - remember that mice can carry parasites such as round worm and consider an extra deworming.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Yes, it can make your cats sick. As others have suggested, use traps. Also, even if you're not putting down any poison, but one of your cats manages to catch and eat a mouse - remember that mice can carry parasites such as round worm and consider an extra deworming.
Well, I know that cats are immune to all diseases that mice carry. Not to mention our cats have eaten mice for 9 years and they aren't sick yet! But, I am worried about this poison thing.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJewel View Post
Well, I know that cats are immune to all diseases that mice carry.
Hardly! Do you know rodents in some areas do have fleas with bubonic plague and there's still outbreaks of it? Including house cats that catch it and the fleas. (which is one reason why it's so bad to have mice and rats infesting one's home). And nothing is immune to worms. Some types of worms don't do so well in certain animals (heart worms in humans, for example) but that doesn't mean the animal is immune. Rodents infecting cats is actually a very common step in the worm's life cycle.
In some areas cats can even pick up flukes from prey animals (such as lizards). When those infest a cat it can mimic pancreatitis.

Here you go http://www.marvistavet.net/html/body...__kittens.html Feel free (to anyone reading) to look up various parasites life cycles! You might be a bit disturbed as to what has life cycles in livestock and fish.
post #7 of 9
A healthy normal sized cat would have to eat over a dozen poisoned mice for it to have any real dangerous effect. I researched this very thoroughly after my Napoleon was poisoned. But they can and do get worms and fleas from eating mice.

The biggest danger for a cat is eating poison that has been put down for mice. It is attractive to them and looks like their food. I eventually discovered Napoleon died after drinking poisoned drinking water on a neighbour's farm. In the UK there is one form of mouse poison that is ecologically safe for other birds and animals. It also sends the mice/rats to sleep gently, not in agony like the most other forms. It is the only poison approved by animal and nature organisations.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Hardly! Do you know rodents in some areas do have fleas with bubonic plague and there's still outbreaks of it? Including house cats that catch it and the fleas. (which is one reason why it's so bad to have mice and rats infesting one's home). And nothing is immune to worms. Some types of worms don't do so well in certain animals (heart worms in humans, for example) but that doesn't mean the animal is immune. Rodents infecting cats is actually a very common step in the worm's life cycle.
In some areas cats can even pick up flukes from prey animals (such as lizards). When those infest a cat it can mimic pancreatitis.

Here you go http://www.marvistavet.net/html/body...__kittens.html Feel free (to anyone reading) to look up various parasites life cycles! You might be a bit disturbed as to what has life cycles in livestock and fish.
This also goes for jennyranson & strange wings: Don't worry! I worm all of my kitties. I am asking about poison mice, not when I should worm my cats.
post #9 of 9
Well, in a roundabout way we both pointed out the same thing. Traps are better since you don't want your cats eating mice anyways!

You know though, you'd think mice would have enough sense to avoid areas that smell like the predator that regularly inhabits it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Mouse Poison