wrong parents on CFA reg papers

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,hoping I can get some good advice on how to go about dealing with this? When I picked up my Kitten from the airport I was going over all paperwork that was sent.I noticed that the kitten CFA registration papers were not sent with the kitten. The next day I emailed the breeder to let her know that the CFA papers were not sent to me with the kiiten she responded back right away and mailed the papers to me. I got the kitten litter registration certificate and the CFA registartion papers,but as I was going over the infomation on them the parents of the cats are two totally different parents from what I was told by the breeder.I was told that the father was a white odd eyed stud devon rex named Romeo, and the mother a silver tabbi devon rex, the sire on the paper work is a cat named Randly,and the dam is a cat named Ruby.any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try and post some pics of the these cats. Fairy_kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did write to the breeder on Wednesday, and asked her why the paperwork has different parents then what I was told,and have yet to get a response back. this is pictures of the cats I was told were the parents I guess I know where my little girls longer fur came from!!!! Have not been able to find and pics of Ruby except fo a kitten pic. This is a picture of the cat that is named as the sire on the CFA registration papers, and litter registration papers.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you got the papers for your little girl. She is so cute

I will be interested in seeing what your breeder says about the parents and what the genetic tests say. Their Devons seem to have a lot of hair, but I am not a Devon expert.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got to say - I am not surprised at this at all... Does the paper say what breeds the parents are (the real parents?) Can you get their Pedigree to see what the mix is?
Good luck...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pedigrees have a breed under each cats name along with colour and registration numbers.

The top 2 photos look like Devons, the bottom cat does not. I don't know if Devons allow an outcross.
All the white Devons I've seen both in person and online always seem to have a better coat than other colours.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, it is permitted a cross with British and American short hair... The sire looks like a medium hair to me, not short... IMO the sire is a cross of a Devon and a domestic long hair.
I would be curious for the pedigree of the sire and dam...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am slightly confused as to which of the 3 cats pictured are supposed to be the parents.

The red/white cat in the last photo does not in any way look like a Devon to me, check which outcrosses are allowed, he himself may be an outcross, in which case you should have been informed when you first inquired about a kitten.

This may not be relevant at all to you, but in the UK an outcross cannot be shown. If I were expecting a purebred Devon kitten and found out the red/white cat in your photo was a sire (however lovely the cat may be, he looks like an outcross rather than a pure Devon!) I would be furiously checking the pedigree and which outcrosses were allowed right now, however lovely the kitten is, the sire does not look like a Devon at all IMO - and if I were buying a kitten that was the product of an outcrossed stud I would consider that info essential when entering into a contract to adopt a kitten.

ETA: you mentioned longer fur, Devons should not have long fur at all, the longhair gene is not allowed in their pedigree in most registries. I would contact the breeder, especially if you had hoped for a show kitten.

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The bottom picture is the one that is the sire on the CFA registration papers,and the kitten litter certificate,but the breeder led me to believe that the white devon rex was the sire. I even asked the breeder about the kittens parents if she was outcrossed, her answer was she was a devon rex, I also asked her after I received an updated picture about her fur being long, because when I contacted the breeder at first she was giving me a little discount because her fur was a shorty coat instead of wavy.which now is a longer coat, the breeder told me that her fur would shed out.I even wrote her and told her I wanted to make sure that I was getting a 100% purebred devon rex for which I was paying for, she wrote me back and said don't worry she is a devon rex.All the info on the paperwork has the sire and dam registered as devon rex.The actual sire doesn't look like a 100% devon rex breed he looks outcrossed,and I'm not sure if devon's are allowed to be outcrossed with one of the longer hair breeds. Fairy_kitten

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On CFA they aren't - they can only be outcrossed with British Shorthair and American Shorthair. I am pretty sure this is not the case for the sire, and for the baby as well.

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I am slightly confused as to which of the 3 cats pictured are supposed to be the parents.

The red/white cat in the last photo does not in any way look like a Devon to me, check which outcrosses are allowed, he himself may be an outcross, in which case you should have been informed when you first inquired about a kitten.

This may not be relevant at all to you, but in the UK an outcross cannot be shown. If I were expecting a purebred Devon kitten and found out the red/white cat in your photo was a sire (however lovely the cat may be, he looks like an outcross rather than a pure Devon!) I would be furiously checking the pedigree and which outcrosses were allowed right now, however lovely the kitten is, the sire does not look like a Devon at all IMO - and if I were buying a kitten that was the product of an outcrossed stud I would consider that info essential when entering into a contract to adopt a kitten.

ETA: you mentioned longer fur, Devons should not have long fur at all, the longhair gene is not allowed in their pedigree in most registries. I would contact the breeder, especially if you had hoped for a show kitten.
I was told by the breeder when I first sent deposit to her that the white devon was the sire and the silver devon was the dam the first two pics.I just got my kitten on the 27th of March,and noticed when I was going through her paperwork that the breeder did not send me her registration papers.I contacted the breeder and she mailed them to me, but as I was checking the information on the litter registration and CFA registration it had the cat in the bottom picture listed as the sire, and the mother is not who she told me either.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fairy_kitten

I was told by the breeder when I first sent deposit to her that the white devon was the sire and the silver devon was the dam the first two pics.I just got my kitten on the 27th of March,and noticed when I was going through her paperwork that the breeder did not send me her registration papers.I contacted the breeder and she mailed them to me, but as I was checking the information on the litter registration and CFA registration it had the cat in the bottom picture listed as the sire, and the mother is not who she told me either.
She is a crook. At this point she should let you keep the kitten, and give your money back. You have enough proof after this one to go to small claims court, which is what I would do.

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

She is a crook. At this point she should let you keep the kitten, and give your money back. You have enough proof after this one to go to small claims court, which is what I would do.
I will be contacting CFA on Monday since that is who the breeder is registered with.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fairy_kitten

I will be contacting CFA on Monday since that is who the breeder is registered with.
Good luck... I am so sorry you are going through all this trouble with this "breeder". Just sucks!

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Good luck... I am so sorry you are going through all this trouble with this "breeder". Just sucks!
Thanks Fairy_kitten

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about this situation - I feel you recieved good advice early on however and this situation could have been avoided. We all could tell from the pic that it wasn't a Devon Rex.

I don't know what to say - but I don't think you're going to have much of a chance getting any $$ back or any justice without giving the kitten back.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will agree with Wellington on this. The "claimed" sire/dam really are not modern day standard Devons. They are no where near what a Devon is supposed to look like in type. And the longhair haired one is an outcross. Longhairs are not allowed at all in Devons.

Your kitten is longhair, no waves and not 100% Devon. She lied to you big time and will agree that you probably will not get any justice. The breeder may be registered in CFA, but doesn't mean she is an ethical breeder. When her cats can't even be shown to a simple championship, there is something wrong.

I'm sorry you are going thru this. CFA probably will not be able to help very much, but the complaint will be filed. CFA will do some disapline to breeders at times - usually barring them from registering cats for a period of time or permanently. But that will not stop this breeder from ripping off people.

I really feel bad about all of this and wish you could have avoided it in the beginning. Sometimes we have to learn hard lessons. I do hope in the future if you want to purchase a real 100% Devon, you will research breeders better then you did this time around.

fairy_kitten

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I most definately will,and I know that you can not trust anyone,I will definately be very cautious when I contact a breeder next time and make sure I get all the facts first before sending a deposit or paying for a kitten, and I have most definately learned a big lesson from this experience. Fairy_kitten

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that one can take the breeder to small claims court for something like this in a purebred, especially when they have pictures, emails, pedigrees and DNA tests. I have seen it happen before.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Problem is I do believe this breeder is from Canada, not from the USA, so it could be more expensive and tricky to take this to small claims court.