Going on Vacation and Scared Juliet Will Give Birth

momof3furbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Juliet is due pretty much anytime now. I can feel her kittens moving, or so I'm pretty sure. We are going on vacation sun and won't be back until the following tues(april 14). My dad is cat sitting and feeding my cats and has PROMISED to check on Juliet and see if she's had her babies but he knows NOTHING about kittens or if she's in labor or anything. I am getting very nervous and am convinced Juliet will give birth while we're away. This is her first(and only) litter. The odds are good she'll be ok right? Cats have babies all the times and are ok? My other cat Genie had 2 litters unassisted without me and knew what to do. She never needed any help. I don't know why I'm so worried about Juliet. Just scared if a kitten is backwards or something. I'm almost tempted to pack her up and take her to Disney world with us but I think she'd be terrified out of her comfort zone.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is tough, but I really would not go - its one thing to be away for 2-3 days but for 2 weeks when a cat is due and no one with experience to be there is not a good thing.

I don't want to be negative, but what happens if there is a problem with her giving birth and your dad doesn't know what to do? Is there anyway you can cancel this vacation?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3furbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately no. Everything is booked and paid for and we leave in 36 hrs. Should I take her with us, because I will? That's not big deal for me? I just don't want her to freak and be scared?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking her with is not a good idea either as she could go in to early labor and it would put more stress on her.

Your dad should be aware that she is about to give birth - confine her in one room and not let her run around in the house. And be sure he has the vet's number for any emergency.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much if you have someone to check on her...it was bad timing, but there's nothing that you can do now- They do it by themselves all the time in the wild- she should be fine
I remember reading somewhere that 99% of births go fine. And, no taking her with you wouldn't be good. Do you know someone who could take care of her in their house, that would be good.
I hope everything goes alright!

Good luck!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was with me I wouldn't be leaving or I would be paying a breeder or someone to look after her. There are too many risks with leaving them but that's just MO.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could your dad possibly watch her at your house? that way shes not out of her usual place. And inform your vet your leaving that way if anything goes wrong your vet is on standby to help your dad. Sadly cats do not work around OUR schedule! I know you have probably been looking forward to this vacation and there is no reason for you to miss it, Im sure she will do fine! Oh and another thing have your cell on you at all times so your dad can call you if he has any questions.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

If it was with me I wouldn't be leaving or I would be paying a breeder or someone to look after her. There are too many risks with leaving them but that's just MO.
I would not leave her, she could have a kitten get stuck or retain a placenta - any number of issues.
You owe it to your girl to be there, even if just to hold her paw as she gives birth.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have been around many cats that have their babies unasissted, they know what to do and she may welcome the peace and quite. That being said, Keller just needed a c-section for a breech, big baby. If i wouldn't have been there she and babies would have died. If you could have someone stay at the house with her that would be best, just in case. That way you can enjoy your vacation and look forward to updates from the caregiver.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were getting ready to go to church one Easter, when my tortie female decided to start labor about the time we were gonna walk out the door. I had gone in to look at her and noticed contractions.

Needless to say, I changed clothes and sat with mom. God forgave me

Besides that Lady did not cut cords on any of her kittens - she would wait till I was there to assist in getting them cut.