metronidazol

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone have any bad experiences with this medication?
Wiggies has been on it for 2 weeks now, as well as amoxycillin. He was fine until yesterday, when he threw up about 5 times. He's thrown up twice today, and doesn't have much appetite and is lethargic.

we're just wondering if this could be an effect from his meds?

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metronidazole tastes really nasty. My experience in a kitty that was vomiting and not eating was that it didn't make this worse. Once he knew how nasty his meds tasted though he wouldn't eat his food if it was hidden in there.

I suspect there is something more going on with your kitty. I haven't been around much lately so I don't know why he is on the meds to begin with.

His repeated vomiting could be the onset of pancreatitis which is much more common that previously thought. If he had IBD that makes them much more likely to get pancreatitis episodes.

I would be calling the vet if he was mine, because I really don't think this far out it would be a med reaction.

Lots of vibes

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it very well could be the drug ... I have a love / hate relationship with it and my dog ... I second the call the vet

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a.k.a. Flagyl - it can cause a loss of appetite & has been known to cause vomiting in rare occurances (from what I've seen through the shelter)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!
We did take him to the vet this morning, I just wanted some opinions from here first.

The vet doesn't think it's the metronidazol, but could be the amoxycillin.
She's given him sub-qs to boost his fluids, an anti-imflammatory as he has a high temp, and an anti-nausea injection to help him keep down his food.

Thanks for making me aware of the pancreatitis link, kittymonsters. I didn't know about that. The reason he's on these meds is to get rid of colostridium (?) and he has chronic IBS. We've never got to the bottom of his tummy troubles, but he has actually been better these last two weeks on the meds.

Poor little muffin, he's not looking happy at all.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's funny we just bought Eagle Pack food the other day! We will try just about any brand to help him out. I didn't see the Holistic Solution one there, but we got the hairball one. It has good ingredients and high fibre, which will help him Once he's back to normal, we're going to introduce this food and see how he does.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

That's funny we just bought Eagle Pack food the other day! We will try just about any brand to help him out. I didn't see the Holistic Solution one there, but we got the hairball one. It has good ingredients and high fibre, which will help him Once he's back to normal, we're going to introduce this food and see how he does.
The one I am talking about is a food additive in powder, that has probiotics, prebiotics and digestive enzymes - it helps with vomiting, diarrhea, and IBD...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh we have that powder too - we've been putting it in his wet food, except he's gone off his wet this past week.
So now we're trying for a kibble that he won't turn his furry little nose up at.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a cat vomit or refuse to eat when taking amoxycillin.
I've also never had to give a cat metronidazol - but my own personal experience with it was that the med made me sick (it's in my medical info as to never be given to me again because of that). So it is a tough med.

It's also a med that will kill a lot of intestinal bacteria, even the tougher types. If you can, try to find something to get that Holistic Solutions on or get another probiotic into him.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Oh we have that powder too - we've been putting it in his wet food, except he's gone off his wet this past week.
So now we're trying for a kibble that he won't turn his furry little nose up at.
You can mix it into his dry food - it holds pretty well... That's how I give it to Bugsy.