Need new litter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been using Kitten-Attract litter b/c that's what got Ally to use the litter-box when she was tiny.

The stuff has very little odor control and my room smells like cat urine+poop even though I scoop and replace litter frequently.

I need a different litter.

I plan to get a Littermaid for Ally and Ollie. Probably the Elite-Mega model with the ionic-air option.

What litter can I use that will have great odor control, work well with 2 cats, and work in the Litter-Maid?

Arm & Hammer multi-cat?

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Scoop away. My 4 cats live in my room!

I tried many cat litters and this one has been the best! I can honestly say my room never ever smells. However, I do have an enclosed cat litter so I'm sure that helps. I've tried tidy cat, arm & hammer and various different ones in my enclose cat litter and i can smell the nastiness. But with scoop away there is none!

Try it out.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We switched back to Dr Elsey's Precious Cat scooping litter. I needed low dust unscented because of Stimpy's asthma. Lola rolls in the litter, so now she doesn't smell like litter perfume. And Nabu refuses to use anything but clay scooping litter. I use Baking Soda as a litter deodorizer.

Oops. I didn't see it was for a littermaid.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've used several different clumping litters in my littermaids. my preference is ScoopAway, but the unscented version seems rather difficult to find [i use the CatAttract litter additive, so prefer an unscented product]. i've used PetSmart's brand, Exquisicat, as well as Arm & Hammer's clumping [& CatAttract, of course!]. all seem to work just fine - i think the ScoopAway clumps the firmest, which is why i prefer it.

ETA: in honor of Ollie's improvement!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol. I will update my sig to that.

I changed them over to Arm & Hammer multi-cat today to see if it helps both the smell, and also alleviates fighting over the litter box.

Ollie used it already and has no problem with it. Ally hasn't used it yet, but it's only been there for 3 hours or so.

I have another box and plenty of kitten attract litter as well as wheat litter. If Ally doesn't use the new litter by midnight, I'll put out a second box with kitten attract for her.

Also, I only bought the Arm and Hammer one because it was all they had at the supermarket that I've read some good things about.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm using Exquisicat unscented from Petsmart. I like how hard it clumps and it's kept down odor (nothing but for right after a real 'bomb'
) The Petco house brand wasn't bad either. Fresh Step for me just reeked (just the litter itself!) so I couldn't use it.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I changed them over to Arm & Hammer multi-cat today to see if it helps both the smell, and also alleviates fighting over the litter box.
I want to know how that works. I tried it with my cats, one at the time was having bladder issues and it was horrible! Smells really funky and flowery and the whole thing would turn into a huge clump!

I use Fresh Step Multicat and it is AWESOME!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Right now I'm using Exquisicat unscented from Petsmart. I like how hard it clumps and it's kept down odor (nothing but for right after a real 'bomb'
) The Petco house brand wasn't bad either. Fresh Step for me just reeked (just the litter itself!) so I couldn't use it.
I hated Fresh Step also - the smell is SO strong, and it is also unbelievably dusty... I switched to Dr. Elsen's Precious cat, and LOVE it - minimum dust, great odor control, great clumping, and less tracking... Very happy with it!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use walmart brand special kitty clumping--very little dust and clumps well, not to mention $6 for 28 lbs.

Leslie

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They're both using it, but I'm not sure I like it. It has a lot of exposed chemical stuff in it that I think could get swallowed or get in eyes.

Oh, and Ollie still isn't covering his urine up. He digs a hole, urinates, and then walks away. Ally covers her urine up.

I don't think an auto-litter box will work properly unless he covers it up.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

I don't think an auto-litter box will work properly unless he covers it up.
no, it'll still work. i know - Chip doesn't really cover urine, either.
it's not the covering - it's placement. Chip [& Mouse, for that matter!] is a 'corner pee-er'. the urine clumps can get stuck on the tines.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmmm... they both seem to like the sides and corners.