CBS Cancelled Guiding Light!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm stunned! I've watched Guiding Light for 30 years and CBS has decided to cancel it! I hate to admit that I'm addicted to a soap, but obviously I am. After a while the characters almost become like family. I searched online last night and found several petitions to keep GL on (and signed them, of course) but I don't know how much good it will do. That show is 72 years old; I don't understand it. Everything I've read about the cancellation states that the ratings haven't dropped, even after the major changes in the filming format that took place several years ago. (the show's outside scenes are actually shot outside---rain, snow, cold, whatever) I'm in a state of shock. (ok, that's embarrassing, but true)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not surprised. Several soaps have been cancelled over the years.

Apparently the ratings for GL have decreased since last year. They tried to revamp the show last year, but ratings dropped 18 percent over the last year.

I didn't realize it was on as long as 72 years though! That's a long run.

Despite a recent revamping of the show this season, Guiding Light has failed to boost ratings and currently attracts about 2.17 million viewers daily for the season, down 18 percent from last year.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sucks! Do they have it on Soapnet? It's on digital cable. They almost canceled Days of our lives - that's the only one I watch. I watch it on soapnet now rather than nbc.
If you have digital cable you can see if it's on soapnet.
http://soapnet.go.com/soapnet/index

I guess maybe it's not on soapnet either.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's sad isn't it? I haven't watched it in years, but my mother did so I grew up watching and and watched it through college. That was back in the Morgan/Kelly days. Mindy/Phillip/Rick/Beth.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It's sad isn't it? I haven't watched it in years, but my mother did so I grew up watching and and watched it through college. That was back in the Morgan/Kelly days. Mindy/Phillip/Rick/Beth.
Oh those were the days.... Mindy/Phillip/Rick/Beth don't forget Alan!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was back in the Morgan/Kelly days. Mindy/Phillip/Rick/Beth.
Ah, memories. Do you remember that Kevin Bacon was on GL, trying to break up Morgan & Kelly?

I started watching so long ago that Roger and Holly were still married, Ed was married to Rita, and no one had ever heard of Reva.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The networks have been cancelling a lot of the shows I like to watch

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone remember a soap called Somerset? I watched it when I was a teen, but it ended in the '70's. They didn't just take it off the air though. It was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly, the mafia came in and killed all or most of the cast!