Going need a new 2nd dry food choice..

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Doesn't seem like the kirkland is going over all that well... i mean a nibble here and there is hardly making it worth the effort LOL

Anyhow, main dry of choice here is chicken soup... so i need a second choice, i like having more than one brand for a few reasons.. anyways the problem is what?

I was thinking maybe california naturals... or what about felidae?

thxs for suggestions.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good choice in that price range is Taste of the Wild... It is grain free - it costs about $10.00 for a 5lb bag, and $25.00 for a 15lb bag...
Here are the ingredients:
Chicken meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, roasted venison, smoked salmon, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, methionine, taurine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yeah tried that one before it's a no-go, actually i have tried quite a few grain free's over the years here they go over like spraying them with a hose LOL

Originally Posted by carolinalima

A good choice in that price range is Taste of the Wild... It is grain free - it costs about $10.00 for a 5lb bag, and $25.00 for a 15lb bag...
Here are the ingredients:
Chicken meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, roasted venison, smoked salmon, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, methionine, taurine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Thanks, yeah tried that one before it's a no-go, actually i have tried quite a few grain free's over the years here they go over like spraying them with a hose LOL
Sharky, our resident expert on nutrition usually has some good suggestions and she also has cats that require special foods so is knowledgeable.

For dry food, I personally feed Orijen and Acana which are both grain free but quite costly so I don't know if your budget can handle that. A wet food diet is the healthiest for kitty but many of us feed wet twice a day and a bit of dry in between for snacking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yeah they get wet as well. I tried orijen a few years ago... actually made a special trip driving way to far to get some but nope that wasn't well taken.

A more local store carries it now so i guess i could try again? their also now carrying the acana..that i think they have samples of, what is the difference? is one more liked than the other?

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Sharky, our resident expert on nutrition usually has some good suggestions and she also has cats that require special foods so is knowledgeable.

For dry food, I personally feed Orijen and Acana which are both grain free but quite costly so I don't know if your budget can handle that. A wet food diet is the healthiest for kitty but many of us feed wet twice a day and a bit of dry in between for snacking.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Thanks, yeah they get wet as well. I tried orijen a few years ago... actually made a special trip driving way to far to get some but nope that wasn't well taken.

A more local store carries it now so i guess i could try again? their also now carrying the acana..that i think they have samples of, what is the difference? is one more liked than the other?
I'm not as knowledgeable as Sharky but I do believe Acana is made by the same folks that make Orijen. I'm not exactly sure of the differences in the two but Sharky does and would be the best source of info on that. My vet did tell me that a no grain food for a neutered male could cause problems so I should keep an eye on Bijou. I believe when cats eat in the wild they get some grains from stomach contents of prey so I'm assuming some grains wouldn't be all that bad just as long as there weren't too many grains in comparison to the meat/protein sources in the food.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm not as knowledgeable as Sharky but I do believe Acana is made by the same folks that make Orijen. I'm not exactly sure of the differences in the two but Sharky does and would be the best source of info on that. My vet did tell me that a no grain food for a neutered male could cause problems so I should keep an eye on Bijou. I believe when cats eat in the wild they get some grains from stomach contents of prey so I'm assuming some grains wouldn't be all that bad just as long as there weren't too many grains in comparison to the meat/protein sources in the food.
Yes, Acana is made by the same people as Orijen. Two nice things about Acan are the lower prices, and a bigger variety of flavors - 3.

Ingredients for Acana Prairie Feast:
Chicken meal, russet potato, fresh free-run chicken, peas, fresh deboned Lake
Whitefish, chicken fat (naturally preserved with Vitamin E), fresh whole eggs,
sun-cured alfalfa, fresh deboned walleye, salmon oil, pumpkin, apples, carrots, turnip greens, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack, dulse), juniper berries, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, black currants, angelica root, chicory root, red clover, red raspberry leaf, dandelion root, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus.
Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).

Ingredients for Orijen:
Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs,deboned turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

The difference I can see by looking at the ingredients, is that Orijen has much more meat ingredients than Acana, which is a bit more carbs and plants based. Orijen is 45% Protein/15% Carbs; Acana is 35% Protein/24% Carbs. IMO they are both great choices.
I feed Orijen to my two, and I love it. Because there are some controversies about grain free and UT health for male cats (and quite frankly because Sharky is also adding a little grain back into her kitties' diet
), I mix a bit of Nutro Max to it. They eat 2/3 Orijen, and 1/3 Nutro.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, my cats have done very well on California Natural. I think Cindy has an allergy problem to TOTW, but she certainly did love it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Acana also has some very good grain containing foods that are very reasonable unfortunately many of us cannot get them as they are not widely distributed....

Yes Acana in the grain free form is more %age wise closer to a typical premium food with regards to protein fat and carbs ...

For the OP I would suggest looking into Solid gold , why it s seems yours like multiple meat multiple grain foods

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I feed Orijen to my two, and I love it. Because there are some controversies about grain free and UT health for male cats (and quite frankly because Sharky is also adding a little grain back into her kitties' diet
), I mix a bit of Nutro Max to it. They eat 2/3 Orijen, and 1/3 Nutro.
Lately I've been adding some other foods in with the Orijen and Acana. I've actually mixed some Acana in with the Orijen then I add a few SD T/L on top for his pretty teeth
and now am adding a bit of the freebie samples I got at the cat show. I have not had any problems with changing Bijou or Mika's food (dry) over quickly but I know others have.

It's probably very good to give them several kinds so their digestive systems get used to more than the one brand.