Cover up?

mattie-n-myrah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there any tips concerning cats that don't cover their crap?

My kitten, Myrah... use to cover her crap and Mattie's. We thought she was jesus kitty because Mattie crap is the worst (!), but now she does not.

Tips/advise appreciated fully!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same problem with Ollie. He only covers it up 25% of the time or so. I'm hoping he'll just figure it out. I try to show him each time he forgets and use his paw to brush litter over to cover it up.

I think I need to switch litters though, not just because of Ollie, but because with 2 cats my room smells worse than the sewer.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking for kittens maybe try KittenAttract litter.

I use Cat Attract because my boy had issues when I first got him (stress-related, I think) - worked like a charm, thank goodness. But, he doesn't always cover (and some cats just aren't into covering - sometimes it's establishing territory, sometimes they don't like the texture of the litter so they want out right away, sometimes they just don't cover!)

You can always get another box or three and try several different litters and see what happens - sort of a taste test. What kind of boxes are you using - open or closed? How often do you scoop? I find scooping twice a day religiously helps a lot. Also, for me, switching to Nutro was a good thing - Dante is a big pooper, and the other food, ah, led to more aromatic leavings.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake covers up, its actually really funny because sometimes he has stepped in his poop and will make a poop stain on the litter mat...He cleans himself and later goes up to the stain and tries to cover it up even though there is absolutely no litter there LOL .
But yea he didn't cover it up when he was a baby and started to later...I would honestly prefer if he doesn't cover it up because I don't have to dig into the litter box to find it and I can just scoop it out immediately. Otherwise when I dig my scoop gets really dirty and the last thing I want to do is dig into the poop itself...
But Jake always poops at night before going to bed so it's very easy to just wait for him to poop, scoop the box and just sleep w/o any fumes..If he didn't have such a strict pooping routine lol it'd be a different story..

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm probably wrong but maybe it's an age thingy? Maggie didn't use to cover up well but after a few months it was like spring cleaning with her. Sometimes I'm thinking she's making sandcastles in her litter
I have such a hard time finding her little poopies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mattie-n-myrah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

You can always get another box or three and try several different litters and see what happens - sort of a taste test. What kind of boxes are you using - open or closed? How often do you scoop? I find scooping twice a day religiously helps a lot. Also, for me, switching to Nutro was a good thing - Dante is a big pooper, and the other food, ah, led to more aromatic leavings.
Mattie has never covered up her poo sadly. Myrah use to be a pro at it when we got her, but this past month or so she hasn't... which produces more of a smell because of Mattie. We have two litter boxes in the house... Mattie's is across the house, the other one, Myrah's, is on the other side. Myrah started to not cover up in Mattie's then it esclated to her's. I think she learned it off of Mattie....

Both boxes are closed. Mattie's is much bigger in size because she's a bigger cat. I scoop when ever it smells... which mostly is fresh poop... so once or twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mattie-n-myrah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

I'm having the same problem with Ollie. He only covers it up 25% of the time or so. I'm hoping he'll just figure it out. I try to show him each time he forgets and use his paw to brush litter over to cover it up.

I think I need to switch litters though, not just because of Ollie, but because with 2 cats my room smells worse than the sewer.
I do the same thing with Myrah since she's my cat (use her paws). Her litter box is in my room... I DO NOT like nasty smells... I'm sort of a clean freak when it comes to my living space.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One theory is dominance, they leave it uncovered to claim the territory.

Litterbox odour is often related to what they eat, lower quality foods smell much worse.

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with mecha
with her I think it's cos we used to scoop the poop out as soon as she had finished (I was unemployed at at home all the time) thus she never learned how to do it, she just digs around the box and then leave.

I have tried everything I can think off to fix it (and she also stinks like hell)

Luckily most of the time now Pandora (my 5 month old kitten) will go in after her and cover it lol.