TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Thinking about getting another kitty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking about getting another kitty

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I've been thinking about getting another kitty to keep Beau company. I just have to talk hubby around to it. I told him today that I went and adopted one from the shelter but that I wouldn't be bringing it home for a few days due to medical reasons. He didn't believe me. But he seemed calm about it. He didn't like it, but he wasn't very upset. Then again, he caught on that it was my April Fool's. Ah well, I thought it would be good to gauge his reaction in case I really do bring a kitty home one of these days soon.

My question is, aside from the slow introduction (new kitty getting own safe room, swapping scented items, intro through gate/door, etc.), what else should I be prepared to do? We have 2 rooms that are possible safe rooms, but I'd prefer to keep the new cat in the one upstairs, meaning we'd have to bring in the new kitty past Beau. Is it okay to do that if the new cat is in a carrier? Are there risks of possible contagion? I would most likely take the new kitty to the vet for a check up the 2nd or 3rd day I have it home to make sure he/she's got a clean bill of health. Beau's on Revolution (1 dose so far); do I still have to worry about him possibly getting ear mites from the new kitty or anything like that, say passed on from me handling both of them?

Don't you just like the way I'm talking about getting a new kitty as if it were decided already?
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat.Ling View Post
My question is, aside from the slow introduction (new kitty getting own safe room, swapping scented items, intro through gate/door, etc.), what else should I be prepared to do? We have 2 rooms that are possible safe rooms, but I'd prefer to keep the new cat in the one upstairs, meaning we'd have to bring in the new kitty past Beau. Is it okay to do that if the new cat is in a carrier? Sure, it is ok... I would keep him for a while in separate, in another room though. It seems to be the best thing to do. But again, I didn't (bad girl) - they were separated for a couple of hours, then I let the new cat out, and it was all fine - they are best friends now. I would look for an older cat, and one that is calmer/sweeter than the house cat. Ask them for a cat that's not an alpha - it will make things easier to introduce them.Are there risks of possible contagion? Yes, there is, especially if the new cat is coming from a shelter - be careful with URIs.I would most likely take the new kitty to the vet for a check up the 2nd or 3rd day I have it home to make sure he/she's got a clean bill of health. I would take him straight from the shelter - you don't want to bring home a sick cat, even for a day or two. Beau's on Revolution (1 dose so far); do I still have to worry about him possibly getting ear mites from the new kitty or anything like that, say passed on from me handling both of them? If he is on Revolution, he should be fine.

Don't you just like the way I'm talking about getting a new kitty as if it were decided already?
Good Luck!!!
post #3 of 12
It seems like you know all the things that you need to do to make the transition smooth for both kitties! I was worried about bringing in a second cat but I can say now that it was the BEST decision I ever made for Bodhi. He and Siddha LOVE each other and I don't feel guilty leaving them at home when I go to work because they can play and sleep and hang out all day together.

GOOD LUCK!! I hope you get a new little one soon!
post #4 of 12
Let your vet know you're thinking of adopting, when you get closer to the actual date - I suspect they'll let you set up an appointment direct from the shelter. I did that with my second cat. Heck, your vet may even have some cats for adoption - with the economy, a lot of vets are aware of pets that need good homes.

I had a girl, and got a laid-back male, about the same age, per the shelter's recommendation, and it's worked well. Girls tend to be more territorial, so apparently opposite sex can be the way to go. I've also heard two males can adapt well.
post #5 of 12
If you're whole family is on board with the idea of another cat, then I say go visit the shelter.

Talk to them about your current kitty (ie playful, age, etc) - see if they can help you match up a good companion. I don't look at age, sex, etc. necessarily - as you may find a very playful 5 y/o who would be a good fit! Try to look most closely at personality - what is Beau's purr-sonality like & who would he get along with best?
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Well, I went ahead and did it. I was at the shelters today with my father-in-law who wanted a new dog, so of course I had to look at the kitties.... and I fell in love with a number of them. There was one beautiful Siamese mix girl that I particularly bonded with. She was so sweet and cuddly, and I couldn't leave without having adopted her. I called up hubby and asked, "I'm at the shelter. Can I get another cat?" And he just said, "I... guess. If you want." So I rushed to get her adopted. She's about a year old, so a bit older than Beau, but not too much bigger than he is right now. I hope that won't be a problem for them.

She's getting spayed tomorrow and then I can take her home in the afternoon if all goes well. My question is if I should take her to the vet on the way home, even though she's just had surgery? And what should I expect from the recovery? I googled it and looks like she should be okay after a few days, just have to keep her isolated the first day and only eat later at night.

The other thing is that she has a swollen paw, and no one at the shelter noticed it until I told them, so that's another thing they have to check before I take her home. I wonder if that might affect her surgery too.

I'm planning on keeping her in the upstairs computer room at first, since it already has a litterbox and food and water. I'm just going to feel bad for keeping Beau out of it since he's used to having free run up there, and he'll wonder why he can't be in there while we're in there.

There is the option of keeping the new kitty downstairs in the first floor but I'd rather not since it's so far removed from where we normally are in the house (we have 3 floors, and only really live in the top 2; computer room & bedroom is on the 3rd, living & kitchen on the 2nd, and the 1st floor is our extra junk room; Beau hasn't been allowed down to the first floor).

I am so nervous about her surgery, and her paw, and taking her home and introducing her to Beau. But I was so excited when I finally made the decision to adopt her. I was at the shelter for 2 hours today!
post #7 of 12
what are you planning to name her?
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
I actually had a list of names before I even went to the shelter, and now I think from that list, Emma/Emmi or Evie/Evelina fits her. But I'm not quite sure yet. I do want to pick it out before I go pick her up though.
post #9 of 12
Oh, how exciting! I wonder if you might call your own vet and ask their advice regarding the timing of the visit, etc. I trusted the shelter I got my two from and their vet, but it did make me feel better to have my vet give my second kitty a once over.

Best wishes for a safe surgery and speedy recovery - and a good intro for everyone!

PS - tell your hubby he's a great guy from me! He sounds like a real keeper.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks darlili! I'm going to call the shelter in a little bit and then I'll call the vet if I can indeed take her home today. I've been telling Beau he's getting a new playmate.

And I agree, I couldn't ask for a better husband!
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Well, I get to pick her up tomorrow morning. They had to keep her overnight because her paw was abscessed and that was fixed up. I think they had to lance it and then suture it. So she'll be coming home with antibiotics and painkiller, and I will get the paper litter for her to use so it won't bother her paw.

I had to keep calling the shelter all day and they only picked up my calls twice-- the first time to tell me to call back after 3 pm, and the second to tell me they had to keep her overnight to make sure she was okay after both surgeries. The poor thing!!

Does anyone have any advice for me for taking care of her and her paw?
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
I haven't been on here lately because I've been upset over having to return the new kitty. My husband already didn't like how she was injured (meaning more care and attention on my part). And then she got a bad cold, and he made me return her. I just felt horrible after that, and I don't know why I listened to my husband; I felt like I should have put my foot down and just kept her and nursed her back to health.

He's still "allowing" me to have a second cat but he wants to choose/okay it first. I don't know if I'm ready for another one yet after Emma. I do, but at the same time I don't.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Thinking about getting another kitty