Do your cats give you a hard time when you brush their fur??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake hates being brushed for the most part...He keeps turning around and biting the brush. I can't even get all of his fur because he is always moving and not letting me..I really want to brush his hind thighs below his butt because that's where all the tangles are but he simply won't let me!!
And another question: do you brush the belly? That's impossible for Jake, but I don't think any cat likes to have the belly brushed, do they??? What do you do about that ??

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine love tummy rubs, so combing their tummy is no issue either - not that they need much combing

With long hairs in the past I'd stand them up holding under the 'arm pits' and then comb the tummy. You can pretty much brush them all over from that position.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Mine love tummy rubs, so combing their tummy is no issue either - not that they need much combing

With long hairs in the past I'd stand them up holding under the 'arm pits' and then comb the tummy.
good idea..I think i'll get a helper to hold Jake though because he loves being in charge of every situation and would definitely try to get away. It's strange when I hold him firmly with both hands he stays and doesn't move or try to get away but as soon as he feels a little weakness in the way I hold him he is running away...

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is in love with her brush! She's a semi long hair but it's silky. Most times I'm only brushing her because she wants to. She's kind of picky about her belly sometimes and yeah, I hold her up by her front legs and brush. Have you thought about a comb instead? I also have a comb with teeth that move (turn) so it glides easily through the fur. I'm not sure how old Jake is, I'm guessing still pretty young. I think when they're young they don't tolerate being groomed so much but love it as they get a little older.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty is the same, he hated being groomed but as he is a semi- longhair he needed to be sometimes. Same issue around the legs and butt but he wouldn't have it at all! He would bite and scratch and get very moody about it! That was until I found a zoom groom which has changed it all. The zoom groom (sorry to sound like an advert!) works more on the friction and static so it gets all the hair and knots but it doesn't pull or yank out the hair. He loves me using it and it gets rid of all his knots and tangles and brings out his gorgeous coat!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wickett LOVES being brushed and will even flip sides to I don't miss any spots. He lets me brush his tummy and chest too but gets a little squirmy when it comes to the backs of his legs. Frankie is moody and I have to catch her in the right mood for her to tolerate or enjoy being brushed... tummy and legs are out of the question but it's no problem cuz all her dreads form on the top of her rump.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Jake hates being brushed for the most part...He keeps turning around and biting the brush. I can't even get all of his fur because he is always moving and not letting me..I really want to brush his hind thighs below his butt because that's where all the tangles are but he simply won't let me!!
And another question: do you brush the belly? That's impossible for Jake, but I don't think any cat likes to have the belly brushed, do they??? What do you do about that ??
I brush (comb) Persi every day and I do his belly too. He is not too happy about the belly part and will grab my arm with his "arms" and place his teeth on my arm as a warning. I stop combing at that point and hold his head down and continue combing which he reluctingly accepts. He has never bitten me while being combed but his warnings are not ignored!

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
its whatever Princess feels like doing....somtimes she will let me brush her and then other times she will run and hide

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Combing is actually better than brushing.

I use my plastic human brush to brush Bijou under the chin and around the ears/head when I'm getting ready for work. He loves it and purrs up a storm. On the weekends when I do the cleaning, I usually vacuum him with the dust brush on the vacuum. He loves it and will roll around so I can get all sides.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both mine LOVE being brushed! I also hold them under the armpits to brush their bellies - no problem there.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Combing is actually better than brushing.
I use what ever is closest but we have a metal comb, a metal paddle brush and a slicker brush. Oh, and one of those nubby mitts. Wickett loves them all but Frankie prefers the mitt.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Combing doesn't really do much though in my experience. Jake's fur is medium so the comb usually goes through very very easily ..I dunno maybe I need to get a different kind of brush because the kind I have is made of metal and it might be hurting him...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Combing doesn't really do much though in my experience. Jake's fur is medium so the comb usually goes through very very easily ..I dunno maybe I need to get a different kind of brush because the kind I have is made of metal and it might be hurting him...
Perhaps you need a comb where the teeth are closer together.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larry loves it! He's also semi-long haired - part Maine Coonn, we think.

I bought a little "baby" comb and brush set. The brush is really soft, but works, and I use the comb to get out any tangles. If I'm using the comb, I give him the brush to play with, and vice versa. He just lies on his side, purring like crazy, playing with whatever one I've given him.

I also hold him under the "armpits" to do his tummy. I just started doing this, and he doesn't seem to mind.....still purrs up a storm.

I use the comb for his "pants", the fluffy area under his butt. It hardly ever gets matted, but I like to keep it clean.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Perhaps you need a comb where the teeth are closer together.
Yea probably. The strange thing is the one that I have was in the cat aisle..But pet stores are not very bright and will sell things that don't serve a great purpose so i shouldn't be surprised.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my Nomie used to bite the brush. Just keep at it.....he'll get more used to it. Try and brush him when he's sleepy or even better sleeping. Hopefully you'll be half done before he realizes it.

Brady has pants too lol. He doesn't mind being brushed. he'll sit still for only about 15 seconds though. lol

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Johnboy & Billy think it's loads of fun. And while Kitten isn't too pleased, she gives up and just goes limp. "No use in fighting, it'll only take longer.."

Shadow tenses up into this little ball and growls the entire time. And Pumpkin.. well.. I can only imagine he's thinking "STOP IT. I LIVED OUTSIDE!".
He truly hates it more than anyone else and will actually get violent about it. Just the other night we tried it again, but the brush bopped him on the nose by accident. It was over. He was ready to take me out if I didn't give up!

Now that I think about it, he won't let the other cats groom him much either. Only he will groom them!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the sound of everyone else's cats, Maggie must be goofy
She'll stand with her little butt to me and tail up so I get her bottom real good. She has about 2 inches of long fur but it never usually tangles. The only places she might get a knot is around her ears or neck.
This is a rotating toothed comb I have that Maggie really likes almost as much as her brush. It glides real easy through longer hair and collects more fur than you'd think. I think I got it at Petsmart a couple years ago.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beau likes to attack the brush too and start biting it, but if I get him still enough to brush a few strokes, he'll start to like it and then let me brush him. He loves to bite the brush when he can though!