Is This a Hoax? Is There Such Thing as a Bengalmese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I was surfing around the cat ads on Kijiji for my area (always lurking, LOL), and found this ad for a woman breeding bengalmese...she's charging $600 + each, but I didn't think it's an actual breed.

I noticed no where on the site that you get papers with the kittens. If you look at the kitten's pics...they look like your typical (but beautiful) tabbys. Am I wrong to judge so quickly? I'm just sort of...annoyed that someone is mixing breeds and trying to push it as a purebred.

Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I just wanted to add that I'm not too experienced with purebreds and breeding...but I've just never heard of this! thanks!

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

why should this be a hoax? Loads of people like having litters for the fun of raising them- this person happend to have a siamese and a bengal, others will breed with normal moggies. In the latter case the cat just often happens to have "escaped" before being neutered and comes home pregnant.

The tom cat's stud services will bring in extra money.

Christine

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
p.s. The only way to prevent this is if responsible breeders only sell already neutered kittens.

Christine

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately - not an April Fool. They have had those on Kijiji for a while

A quick look at the website tells you it is not a reputable breeder and its easy to make up a name for a new breed, it is much harder for them to become a recognised breed

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Strange she talks about selling breeders/show for more money, however never mentions what registry they are under. Also notice she says one of her "kitties" is only 8 months and is now breeding... That alone doesn't sound reputable....

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not the fact that she's breeding that bothers me, but the fact that she's trying to pass them off as an actual breed. There's nothing wrong with having kittens if you're responsible and finding them homes...but the price she's selling them for, and trying to sell them as show quality, etc etc.

To each their own, I suppose.

Yes, I noticed she's from Kitchener...so most likely posts around Ontario Kijiji boards!

Sorry to cause havoc! I was just curious, thats all!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen people looking for that for kittens without giving them a breed - one guy actually thought his kittens were worth extra because they were purebred calicos - uh yeah and we have 10 or so calicos in the shelter right now

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its nothing more then a backyard breeder who decided to let their Bengal male breed with a Siamese. There are tabby/lynx point Siamese anyway. This is nothing more then a "designer" cat - its not a breed - its a made up name like you see in the designer dogs such as labradoodle, etc.

Only out to rip people off by breeding mixed breed cats.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for clarifying that....saying the term "labradoodle" puts it all into perspective, I never thought of it that way!

Again, I am just really disapointed by seeing this ad. And again, sorry for causing havoc here!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

p.s. The only way to prevent this is if responsible breeders only sell already neutered kittens.

Christine
Exactly, too much of a risk letting kittens leave without neutering first.

I wonder who she expects the kittens to be shown with since she's selling "show quality"

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They would be "professional" show Household Pets I guess but only in ACFA or TICA since CFA bans any Bengal or Bengal cross in the show hall.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

It's not the fact that she's breeding that bothers me, but the fact that she's trying to pass them off as an actual breed. There's nothing wrong with having kittens if you're responsible and finding them homes...but the price she's selling them for, and trying to sell them as show quality, etc etc.
Hi,

hmm, if some one has a once off litter, has them fully vaccinated and de- wormed I'm OK with it.

In my oppinion its a totally different story if someone's having litter after litter- there are just too many cats around and as long as there are kill shelters that's just selfish. Yes, Kittens are awfully cute- but so are shelter cats.

Breeding is only OK in my books if the breeding program serves a purpose other then just producing cute kittens for sale. The main reason would be to preserve (and improve) the breed healthy for the next generation of cat lovers.

And for this you'd have to know what you're doing (know your genetics), breed pure- bred cats and breed with a pedigree.

Christine

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh those poor kitties!
I see all kinds of red flags.

Her 1 year old cat is having her third litter and the 8, 9, and 10 month old kittens have already been bred. The two 9-month-old kittens are listed as daughters of the 1-year-old.

She claims her stud comes from "Champion Blood Lines" but does not indicate that he himself has been shown.

Have you read her contract???
I certainly wouldn't sign a contract like that even if I were getting a show quality purebred cat with papers.

I wonder what she does with the kittens she can't sell?

Oh, and one more thing. Her spelling and grammar are atrocious. This doesn't necessarily make her a bad breeder--it's just irritating.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its nothing more then a backyard breeder who decided to let their Bengal male breed with a Siamese.
Yes, so it seems.
And the very first litters seems to be siamese+siamese. It become beatiful kittens of the old siamese type. Pity the "breeder" didnt stayed there - this would be much better for all concerned.

Two of the females seems thus to be real siameses of decent, although not really first grade, type.
Nowadays used for mixed breed - ie a sort of moggies.

But the other twos seems to be moggies.

The last, red-oranged, may be called a good european if you want to be positive. But in reality, surely a nice moggie.

I agree with the others: There IS some need and market for well home-grown moggies. If it is well done, it would be a fully honourable doing.
(Besides. There is NOT necessary an antagonism against the homeless cats: Beginners are often afraid of taking in a homeless. Some will never take in a homeless. Their choice is thus either a pedigree, or a homegrown moggie.
But they may perhaps take in an ex-homeless as second or third cat when they had become "warm in the clothes". Thus SOME FEW responsible homebreeding is not taking away places from the homeless - in fact it MAKES some extra places for the homeless).

But this IS a backyard breeder and not anything better, producing a stream of really - moggies.

And the stud apparentyl lend to almost anyone who pays - is contributing to harm the gene-pool of the bengalis... Both way too many litters, and also surely some unsuitable although purebred partners.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone else notice the huge amount of typos on that site? It's like someone was very drunk while making it..

And this:
Bangelmese are very socialable creatures and they are also Hypo-alergentic,so if you do have allergies to animals there is a good chance that these precious animals will not affect your allergies and the reason that I believe this is because I am normally allergic to cats especially long haired ones,but with the Bangelmese breed I find that they do not affect me at all.
Why am I having hard time believing that..

Status
Not open for further replies.