Trying to volunteer

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to go to our local shelter's volunteer orientation for a couple of months now, but they were always scheduled on the nights I had to work. The coordinator told me she was having a make-up session today at the shelter that I was planning to go to, but my DD was home sick from school today so I couldn't go today either. Now this afternoon they posted on their website that due to the huge turnout they got at volunteer orientation this month, they won't be accepting any more volunteers until the fall! Good for them, but I am bummed out.

There is another cat-only shelter I have thought of volunteering at, but it is farther away and I'm not sure how often I'd be able to volunteer after factoring in the drive time. I am thinking I will still call them tomorrow and get some more information.

There are also many foster-based rescues around here, but their websites usually are only asking for volunteer foster homes; I am not able to foster at this time, so that wouldn't work. For those of you who work with foster-based rescues, is there much that non-fostering volunteers can do to help out beyond giving donations?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, if you lived where I do they would be begging for your help. Good luck to you - your heart is definitely in the right place!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foster based groups still need help transporting animals etc and at events - you wont get to spend as much time with the animals but they can certainly do with the help.

I would watch the website of the other one too though, we have had great turn out at orientations and maybe 3 people actually show up for their volunteer shifts so we are always looking for more again. Seriously, the kids get their 40 hours for school and you never see them again and people get busy especially at holidays or in the summer when they travel. Our motto is you can never have enough volunteers. If more people than we need come in we can always find something for them to do - even if it is cuddle cats!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We'd kill for you to come volunteer here, especially on our non-open nights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We'd kill for you to come volunteer here, especially on our non-open nights.
I would love to, but I think I'd have just enough time to drive there, park, and drive back! Bummer...

jkat62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest that you just become a regular visitor to this shelter and just pet and cuddle til there are openings for volunteers. Once the people at the shelter see your devotion I am sure a volunteer opening will happen !

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of the foster-based rescues can use help also at adoption events. That's how I got started. That's usually on Saturday afternoons, so I don't know how that would jibe with your schedule. Also, if the rescues participate with adoption centers at the local pet store, those adoption centers need cleaning. That's what I do on Fri afternoon/evenings. I love it. Not cleaning litter pans and sweeping cages, but working with the cats.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My local shelter is accepting volunteers again!!!! I am attending the volunteer orientation next week. They have openings for dog walkers, cat cuddlers, and front desk staff. I am eager to find out where the greatest needs are at the meeting. I'm excited!

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Went to the orientation tonight. Got lots of general info, and filled out some paperwork. I will be attending additional training classes depending on which volunteer position I am interested in. I think I may try to attend the classes for both dog walking and "cat cuddling".

They talked a bit about their euthanasia policies. They have no time limit, which is great, but they do consider kitties who refuse to use their litter boxes unadoptable, and they are euthanized.

I'm hoping to attend all the necessary training classes over the next month or so.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

Went to the orientation tonight. Got lots of general info, and filled out some paperwork. I will be attending additional training classes depending on which volunteer position I am interested in. I think I may try to attend the classes for both dog walking and "cat cuddling".

They talked a bit about their euthanasia policies. They have no time limit, which is great, but they do consider kitties who refuse to use their litter boxes unadoptable, and they are euthanized.

I'm hoping to attend all the necessary training classes over the next month or so.
Do they get checked for UTI's in that case before they put them down?