TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › What has the best Ingrediants?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What has the best Ingrediants?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
which wet food has the best ingrediants?

a) Water sufficient for processing, chicken, liver, meat by-products, wheat gluten, turkey, corn starch-modified, natural & artificial flavors, soy flour, soy protein concentrate, potassium chloride, taurine, titanium dioxide color, choline chloride, salt, tricalcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 supplement, dicalcium phosphate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, cobalt carbonate, potassium iodide, biotin. A-5217

b) Meat by-products, water sufficient for processing, turkey, poultry by-products, poultry giblets, brewers rice, salt, guar gum, potassium chloride, added color, carrageenan, calcium phosphate, taurine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide. A-6144

c) Ingredients: Meat By-Products, Turkey, Water Sufficient For Processing, Poultry By-Products, Poultry Giblets, Fish, Guar Gum, Salt, Flaxseed Oil, Potassium Chloride,Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamin Mononitrate,Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement,Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate,Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Taurine, Natural Flavors.
post #2 of 15
IMO all are weak- you want to stay away from by-products.A has also a lot of grains, including soy, that's an allergen. From the three of them, I would probably chose C, as it is grain free. But in truth I would look for another option all together.
post #3 of 15
I think C looks good. By products aren't ideal but there arent any grains and that fact of the matter is wet is better than dry, even crappy wet.



Leslie
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
thanx, i'll see if they eat 'c'

yes, this is the best i can afford. 26 cats * 3 oz per day each = can't afford to pay that much!

if it were even 10 cats i'd try get something better, but with as many cats as that i can't!

i do feed the best dry that i can get; right now kirkland, blue wilderness, and by nature. i'm going to get Instinct, Chicken Soup, Natural Balance, and Taste of the Wild this or next week. i've given them samples of all but Instict and they loved them.

i had tried feeding them high quality wet but then had to feed bad dry (meat was the second ingrediant, first was corn something) and they did horrible. but feeding not so great wet with high quality dry they do great.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends50 View Post
thanx, i'll see if they eat 'c'

yes, this is the best i can afford. 26 cats * 3 oz per day each = can't afford to pay that much!

if it were even 10 cats i'd try get something better, but with as many cats as that i can't!

i do feed the best dry that i can get; right now kirkland, blue wilderness, and by nature. i'm going to get Instinct, Chicken Soup, Natural Balance, and Taste of the Wild this or next week. i've given them samples of all but Instict and they loved them.

i had tried feeding them high quality wet but then had to feed bad dry (meat was the second ingrediant, first was corn something) and they did horrible. but feeding not so great wet with high quality dry they do great.
Sharky is our resident expert on food so I would actually suggest you wait for her to give you some information. There are better quality foods out there that are not terribly expensive and she can help you there.

I personally try to stay away from ANY food that has by-products.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
honestly, i don't mind having to feed a food with meat by-products, as long as there is some real meat in their too. meat by-products can be anything, but you have to consider the fact that they are food that people won't eat, and naturally cats will eat the parts of an animal we don't. i know that it could be anything from organs to heads but if cats didn't like it, they wouldn't go ahead and eat it. C is one of the brands that has "Petsmart Seal of Approval" on it.
post #7 of 15
I like "c", second choice would be "b".

I'm one of those people that feels that by-products aren't nessecarily a bad thing. Sure 10-15yrs by-products were all crap...but the food standards have gone up and by-products can include ingreds that are great for cats (like lungs, spleen, etc). Yah they can still be some not so good ingreds, but they aren't all bad.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends50 View Post
which wet food has the best ingrediants?

a) Water sufficient for processingNot as tasty as broth but might be safer , ie broths often have hidden garlic, chicken, liver, meat by-products, wheat gluten, turkey, corn starch-modified, natural & artificial flavors, soy flour, soy protein concentrate, potassium chloride, taurine, titanium dioxide color, choline chloride, salt, tricalcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 supplement, dicalcium phosphate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, cobalt carbonate, potassium iodide, biotin. A-5217
A couple natural vitamins

b) Meat by-products per Affco this is head , feet , internal organs of ANY animal so you could technically be feeding cat to your cat , water sufficient for processing, turkey, poultry by-products, poultry giblets, brewers rice, salt, guar gum, potassium chloride, added color, carrageenan, calcium phosphate, taurine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide. A-6144

again some natural vitamins but many chemical

c) Ingredients: Meat By-Products, Turkey, Water Sufficient For Processing, Poultry By-Products, Poultry Gibletsgiblets are ORGANS, Fish, Guar Gum, Salt, Flaxseed Oil, Potassium Chloride,Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamin Mononitrate,Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement,Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate,Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Taurine, Natural Flavors.
this has some of the better vitamins


what price pt are you looking at ???
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
I like "c", second choice would be "b".

I'm one of those people that feels that by-products aren't nessecarily a bad thing. Sure 10-15yrs by-products were all crap...but the food standards have gone up and by-products can include ingreds that are great for cats (like lungs, spleen, etc). Yah they can still be some not so good ingreds, but they aren't all bad.
Unfortunately by-products can also include beaks, claws and other unsavoury stuff scraped up off the floor. I have no problem with lungs, spleen, etc being in by-products but I don't trust the manufacturers enough to think that is all that is in by-products.
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
this has some of the better vitamins


what price pt are you looking at ???
C is $0.70, A & B are $0.77

it needs to be below $1, preferably below $0.90, i can't afford to get much better wet if it is above that.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends50 View Post
C is $0.70, A & B are $0.77

it needs to be below $1, preferably below $0.90, i can't afford to get much better wet if it is above that.
is that for a 5-6oz can or a 13 oz can
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
is that for a 5-6oz can or a 13 oz can

sorry for not saying its for a 13 oz can. actually all three foods i listed are differant, one is 13 oz, the other 13.2, and another 13.5.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends50 View Post
sorry for not saying its for a 13 oz can. actually all three foods i listed are differant, one is 13 oz, the other 13.2, and another 13.5.
off the top of my head I have a few friskies formulas that ate least the by products and grains are not in the top3-5 ingredients at my local store they are 88 cents a can walmart has some for 70 cents a can
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
thanks, i'll look around at the flavors. i know, having to spend that little on a can really limits what kinds i can get. how bad are the friskies fish flavors which have salmon or ocean whitefish as the first ingrediant?

in order to get the meat chunks kind of brand 'C' which the farm cats love much more than pate then they add "Food Starch-Modified". its the sixth ingrediant. is that bad? better or worse than wheat gluten? the rest of the ingrediants are the same.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends50 View Post
thanks, i'll look around at the flavors. i know, having to spend that little on a can really limits what kinds i can get. how bad are the friskies fish flavors which have salmon or ocean whitefish as the first ingrediant?

in order to get the meat chunks kind of brand 'C' which the farm cats love much more than pate then they add "Food Starch-Modified". its the sixth ingrediant. is that bad? better or worse than wheat gluten? the rest of the ingrediants are the same.
food starch is kinda what is it ...

not bad that far down the list ... about like a gluten neither bad sometimes good .. fish is fine except for UTI / crystal prone kittys.. ie I would feed them too my boys with ph issues in moderation ie no more than twice a week but my girls could have them daily
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › What has the best Ingrediants?