How to get Ollie to eat dry Wellness food?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far all Ollie will eat is canned Wellness food. How do I get him to eat the dry food too?

It's just the opposite with Ally... she prefers the dry food over the canned. She switched herself over by just all of a sudden not wanting canned food after the first time she tried dry Wellness food. I can't get Ollie to try the dry food.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry as much about him not wanting dry food..wet food is good enough if you ask me. Jake eats 90% wet...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nutritionally - sure. However, I've been told that eating dry food is good for theiir teeth.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed wet and dry to my adults, because my work schedule is such that there may be unexpected overtime. I leave a measured amount of dry out during the day and night, so they can graze as they choose. I give them some wet morning and evening. In your field, you'll run into the same issues, so I can see you wanting to try some kibble that will work with them.

Anyway, you could try moistening the Wellness kibble a bit to see if that's more appealing to him...just don't leave it down forever, since it'll spoil far more quickly than dry kibble.

There are prescription dry dental foods, but I doubt you're quite at that stage with the babies.

Also, since they're young, you might want to start seeing if you can brush their teeth - that's really ideal, if they'll let you. There are sites that can walk you through how to introduce cats to the concept of brushing - it can be a slow process.

Honestly, you'll hear a lot of opinions vis a vis wet and dry - but what really counts is what your kitties will eat and thrive on. There's no one perfect diet or food - and your kitties will have a lot to say about what's acceptable.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are prescription dry dental foods, but I doubt you're quite at that stage with the babies.
That's what I should have gotten for my dog. I didn't know though. He had to have 50% of his teeth removed a year ago.

That's what I'm hoping to avoid with these two.

So I read the article.... I can't get Ally to eat wet-food anymore so I guess it's irrelevant with her.

However, I still think it would be great to get Ollie to eat both wet food and dry food. He loves the wet-food. He's gone through almost an entire case since I took him home a little over a week ago. You guys will be amazed at how much weight he's put on as a result. He's not scrawny anymore. Eating both wet and dry food though would probably be good. Also, it would be good so that he can munch from a feeder while I'm in class (assuming he's finished off the canned food I leave him).

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you feel like he is at a good weight try feeding him all dry on certain days. I did that with Jake and he now likes dry food...He still prefers wet but he will eat dry when there isn't any wet. When he was a baby he wouldn't touch it. Of course it's possible for it not to work, and you don't want to starve him but you can try it...

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sometimes you have to try different brands. Ally might eat wet if it's something else and Ollie might eat dry. try some other brands, flavors etc. I wouldn't give up hope that quick.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't try to get Ollie to eat dry. I have one kitty who doesn't like any kind of wet (unless it's tuna!!), but she gets some raw chicken everyday with a bit of canned food mixed in. I have another kitty whose main source of nutrition is wet, with a minimal amount of dry (1/8 cup) daily. After researching, I think wet is the way to go.

Stephanie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Honestly, you'll hear a lot of opinions vis a vis wet and dry - but what really counts is what your kitties will eat and thrive on. There's no one perfect diet or food - and your kitties will have a lot to say about what's acceptable.
That is what it comes down too

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
he actually tried some a little while ago. He didn't seem to like it very much though and went back to the wet food bowl.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just feed him wet but leave out some dry since he's a kitten and should be free fed.

I feed mine mostly wet food but put down 1/4 cup of dry for them to share as a snack at night-- keeps them from waking me up at 6am.

I have had cats and dogs that I only fed dry (that's what the vets USED to recommend for teeth) and both had horrible teeth problems.