How loud does your cat purr?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Polly (who lives with my mom in Pennsylvania) purrs really loudly, almost like she's really forcing it out. It's so precious.

My cat Genever (who lives with me in California), who is 1.5 years old and has lived with us for 2 months, does not purr audibly. I didn't even think she ever purred until I felt her throat and felt the vibration. I'm glad she's content enough to purr from time to time, but I miss hearing the purring!!!

Also, i might as well throw in a quick pic of my G-cat, aka The Prospector:

(FYI-we threw out that green ball and the other 2 in the 3-pack when we saw she liked to chomp it to bits. No choking allowed in our household!)

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of my 3;

Taz, neutered orange tom, 11 years old, 20 pounds (not fat); as I type this, I can easily here the purr from 8 ft. away. I say he purrs so hard, it must hurt.

Morgan; spayed female, 10 year old, 10 pound "Tuxedo" cat; delicate purr, just audtible if she is sitting with you.

Kassey, spayed, dark torti, approx. 8 to 10 years old, 15 pounds, (I resuced her from a less than ideal situation 11 months ago); almost as loud as Taz. Maybe with her story, she has a lot to purr about, now

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat purrs WAY loud too!
A very happy kitty all the time and super clingy. Likes to sit and purr and/or knead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so jealous, i want purr again!!
So, I know very little is known about purring, but is it just a cat's purr 'voice'? Like Genever just has a very quiet purr, that's all she can do, like some cats have that almost silent meow? Or is she still settling into her new home after 2 months? She seems pretty darn settled in every way imaginable though.. Who knows, I can still tell by her lovey-dovey eyes when she's happy and most likely purring.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, Anna has a soft purr, while Elijah has a loud purr that he can really crank up the volume on. Some cats are just louder than others.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of mine purr loud enough that I swear you can hear them clear across the county. Scarlett in particular gets to purring and kneeding whenever she is lying in our arms. I have had to turn the volume up on the TV to hear over her.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kiko is a loud purrer. He has woken me up sitting beside me purring. I have to ask him "hey what are you purring about at this hour?" LOL
The rest have a normal purr. Easy use to have a very dainty purr until about a year ago when she came out of her purr shell and let it all out, but not as loud as Kiko's.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie purrs quietly. I can only tell she is because of the vibration when she lays next to me. She's also not a lap cat but when you lay down, she will lay on top of you. She doesn't meow either but errts like asking a question and even that is very quiet. I did hear her hollar once when the dog stepped on her tail and scared her so I know she can be loud.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chunky Monkey--purrs really really loud!! Especially when you are rubbing her!
Mancake--purrs but not loud, unless he wants his wet food

JuneBug---can hardly hear her purr
PoohBear--purrs but not loud
Mazie---she purrs but not as loud as the Chunksters

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kuce (almost 16 years) purrs like a lawnmower.

Lil' Jag (4.5 years) - barely audible purr (though her purrs have grown louder as she gets older).

Luvbug (almost 9 years) - also barely audible. You have to have your face to his mouth to hear him.

My RB cat Sphinx (18 years) had a loud purr like a lawnmower. (when he purred)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
of my 5 -
Chip's the loudest - you can hear him from across the room. Pixel's 2nd - still pretty loud, but not as loud as the boy. Cable's 3rd - i can usually hear her, but only when she's right by me.
i can't hear Java or Firefox at all. i can sometimes feel them, but they're never audible.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larry purrs really loud. I can hear him from a couple of feet away. And he starts purring the minute you touch him. At night he'll jump up on the bed and settle in and I fall asleep to the sound of him purring. It's very nice.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nero isn't a very audible purrer. I can feel him purr, and sometimes if he's really close to my head I can hear him.

Hoshi is ridiculously loud. He echoes in the bathroom he purrs so loud! Sometimes I think you can feel the vibrations from his purring when he's not even touching me!

Katina sometimes purrs loudly, other times you can't hear her at all, just feel her.

Caliper & Chassis have pretty loud motorboats. Tailpipe doesn't. I think it's because he pretends to pout when you touch him, but I can feel the purr.

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bilo is the loudest.. I can hear him from 5 feet away if he's really trying to get my attention. He's also a "manipulative purrer", meaning he'll purr mainly to get food or lead me to a toy he wants to play with

Mia- second loudest, can hear her purring if she's within a couple feet. She only purrs if she's settling down for the night, or if she's being pet just the right way.
Reese- very quiet. You have to touch her to know she's purring. She only purrs after you've been petting her for some time, never for any other reason.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy - I have to place my ear against her to hear her purr.
Moose - Somewhat audible from a short distance, but loud when he's right next to me; purrs through his nose.
Rocky - He sputters more than a constant purr.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Shareena (2 years) had a really loud purr when she was tiny. If she thought I wasn't paying enough attention to her (like when I was falling asleep) she would put her chin right on my ear. That magnified it to jackhammer status.
Her purr has gotten softer as she's gotten older, so I have to be fairly close to hear it.

Miss Patchwillow (2 years) has a soft purr which gets louder as I pet her.

Cali (7 months) purrs about the same as Miss Patchwillow, but usually waits until I pet her before she starts.

Iris (7 months) has taken over where Shareena left off. I can hear her coming halfway across the house.

Goldy (16 months?) doesn't purr very often ,and when she does it's a silent purr.
She'll cuddle up next to me and I can feel her vibrate but don't think I've ever heard her.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aurora has a loud purr. When she is in the bed with us at night, she can keep we awake at times. The bobcats purr loud enough to be heard across the room. And Carmelo, his purr is so loud you can almost feel it when you are standing next to him.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Aurora has a loud purr. When she is in the bed with us at night, she can keep we awake at times. The bobcats purr loud enough to be heard across the room. And Carmelo, his purr is so loud you can almost feel it when you are standing next to him.
OMG there is nothing better than a big cat purring