Anybody ever had kidney stones?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to the doctor yesterday with what I assumed was a bladder infection. But after looking at my urine and doing a CBC, the doctor thought it was probably something more serious, like a kidney infection or kidney stones. I have a fever, which she said isn't very common with bladder infections/UTIs and since I had such extreme pain in my back and abdomen (right around my kidneys), she referred me to get a Spiral CT scan on my abdomen today. Well, just got back from getting the CT and I won't have the results until tomorrow at the earliest. I'm on a pretty strong antibiotic (cipro) in case it is just a kidney infection as well as pain meds. So what happens if I do have kidney stones? I know it's extremely painful (already there) and it can take weeks for them to pass. And the doctor mentioned that there were several kinds of stones and some kinds you can prevent from happening again? With medication I'm assuming? Just some words of wisdom/experience would be nice.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad has them.
They used some kind of thing where you sit in water to dissolve them.
I will have to ask him what it was called.
They use some kind of rays.
He has had them more then once and has bad kidneys.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has had them 6 times. In his case he was given anti-inflamatory drugs. Fortunately his have all passed naturally. althou very painful. He has to drink large amounts of fluids to help them pass. In his case it has taken anywhere from a few days to 10 days to pass.

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes!!! Absolutely the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

My doctor told me to drink lots of water, cut out the soda, alcohol, caffiene and salty foods
(I'm batting 0.500 on that one) and not to hold my bladder for more than 15 minutes once
I get the urge.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had about 3 bouts with one. When it passes, the pain is excruciating. Women who have given birth and passed a kidney stone say they'd rather give birth.

My first experience: I got up, feeling a little pain in my lower back. Not too surprising, since I had moved a bunch of boxes of books the previous day. Then the pain moved into my side, then more in the front, so I had the vague feeling of having been kicked in the groin. It steadily got worse, to the point I couldn't sit in the car seat when we headed off for work. Dottie had to stop to let me throw up beside the road. Then she turned around and took me to the hospital.

I was ashen, sweating, and in intense pain. After a few minutes of discussion with the admission nurse, she turned to someone else and said, "We have another one." She knew exactly what it was, just not how bad, so they admitted me to the hospital. Turned out it wasn't a very big stone.

Apparently, passing stones spikes in January-March. And in areas with a lot of minerals in the water, it's very common.

They gave me pain killers, x-rayed to be sure it wasn't part of a big problem, and sent me home the next day, feeling much better.

I've never had it done, but the "stone smasher" is called "lithotripsy."

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mews2much, I think you're talking about lithotripsy. They use sound waves, I think, to break up the stones.

Depending on the type of stones, you can try dietary changes to prevent it from happening again. There are some meds that can also be used to treat/prevent stones as well but I do not recall exactly what they are. Not my area of expertise, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses. And for confirming my fear of the pain
Is nausea always associated with it? I've been a little nauseous, but I figured it was because of the pain meds/antibiotics.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what I am talking about.
He passed some also but had so much pain.
He had to go to the er more then once.
He got pain meds in a iv.
I hope you feel better.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're going through this. I had one two weeks ago and it sent me to the ER for morphine and anti-nausea drugs.

How it's treated depends on the type of stone you have.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had them.... hurt like all hell.... urinated them out after some period of time.

that's pretty much all there is to the story.

If it's too big, there are safe ways of breaking them up internally.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Is nausea always associated with it? I've been a little nauseous, but I figured it was because of the pain meds/antibiotics.
DH always gets nausea . He quite often sweats heavily too.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart
, I have had them about 5 times and my DH; too many to count, it's so painful
When it passes it's like you feel better then you ever felt in your life
Obviously passing it is a little different for a man than a woman. Like someone said, drink alot of WATER!!

My DH has been on a water pill since he had to have 2 stones surgically removed and he hasn't had any since. We both have had Lithotripsy's.

Good luck to you

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

The first time I got one, I vomited from the pain
Also if you get nauseous from pain meds like I do, ask for phenergan, it helps with nausea I take that with percocet when I have a stone.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had four and DH has had one. I used to drink Sundrop (a regional citrus drink) and the doctor was pretty sure that's what caused mine. It was a calcium oxalate stone. I was also taking high quality calcium supplements back then, thinking they were good for me. The nephrologist advised against those in my case. Anyway, I had lots of nausea and vomiting and diarrhea. I walked the floor at home with the first stone, thinking I was going to die. I didn't know what it was and was in agony. I refused to go to the ER because I was in too much pain (dumb mistake on my part). I did go to my doctor the next day, and she thought I had a UTI and food poisoning at the same time. The next time I had one, it was so bad I couldn't pee. I went to the ER then and they confirmed the stone, which was at the junction of the ureters and obstructing urine flow. Anyway, it dislodged sometime during my KUB. Not to bore you, but the fourth stone required a simple procedure to remove it (they put me to sleep) and put a temporary stent in place. DH had the procedure, but his stone was too big and required lithotripsy a few weeks later. I still have small two stones in my kidneys, but as long as they never move, they're fine. I haven't opted for the daily medication, though I am a candidate for it due to my history.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch!!! to all of you who have dealt with kidney stones. Touch wood that I have never had any, but I have had salivary gland stones. Not nearly as bad but painful, too. Had to have some oral surgery to get the first one out b/c it was blocking a salivary duct.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Passing a kidney stone is a little like seasickness. First, you're so sick you're afraid you're going to die. Then you're so sick, you don't care if you die. And finally, you're so sick you're afraid you might not die.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I've had four and DH has had one. I used to drink Sundrop (a regional citrus drink) and the doctor was pretty sure that's what caused mine. It was a calcium oxalate stone. I was also taking high quality calcium supplements back then, thinking they were good for me. The nephrologist advised against those in my case.
Some of the fruit in it must have had high oxalates. If anyone recalls, I did mention in another thread that they bind calcium.

One way to simply control that diet wise is just to be careful how much high oxalate foods you eat. Some people are fine and others don't clear it as well.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Passing a kidney stone is a little like seasickness. First, you're so sick you're afraid you're going to die. Then you're so sick, you don't care if you die. And finally, you're so sick you're afraid you might not die.
That's good and true