Repeated URI

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I have posted a view times on here before and received helpful tips. My 8 year old feline Puddin had a URI about 6 weeks ago, approx. She received a antibiotic shot and was put on atibiotics twice a day, which we finished. Her follow up visit showed that she was as good as new. About 2 weeks ago, her Asthma started to get worse so I took her in for her Depot shot, which helped and brought the Asthma under control. Last night she started to sneeze again, again and again, with a white slimy discharge. I don't understand how she can get another URI again? Is there something that can be done to up her immun system. I have 3 cats in all. My foster had a UTI which was brought under control by antibiotics. My 2 year old male is just fine. I am getting concerned about her being sick so often.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that she has an underlying condition causing the URIs. One possibility is herpes. If your foster cat had a URI she may have trasmitted herpes virus to your cat. Cats with herpes will often have recurring URIs, especially when they are stressed.
My vet recommended supplementing with lysine for my cat who had recurring URIs and she suspected had herpes virus. She also suggested giving a colostrum supplement. These will help to boost the immune system. The dosages she told me were the same for both supplements- 500 mg twice a day for adult cats. She suggested buying capsules made for humans, then you can open them and mix the powder in canned food.
You should ask your vet if this is ok for your cat.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I have used for my cats is L-lysene available at most pharmacies I give 2 pills a day with each pill being 250mg. It seems to work wonders

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The foster kitty is with us for 2 years now. She had a UTI a few weeks ago. My foster cat was checked out and received a clear bill of health, otherwise I wouldn't have brought her around my cats.

I will check with my vet in regards to the meds you guys mentioned. He stated last time we went that he had a concern in regards to her weight, but I doubt this would have any influence on what is going on with her now.

pilot8569

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me female cat was getting these things like every two weeks last year. I switched her to all wet food and the problem went away, seems she was just not getting enough water. I also add a small amount of water into her wet food. Also gave her cranberry juice for the first month that we were trying to beat these infections. Weaned her off that and no she is fine with the wet food, URI has not been back since the food switch.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cool, another good advise. I am just worried about her weight, she loves wet food and will tear it up. But I will re-search to see what kind has the lowest calories, thanks.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing about feline herpes is it can be "dormant" for long periods and then cause a URI again in times of stress or just for no obvious reason sometimes, or just cause recurring URIs. I have read that 80% to 90% of URIs in cats are caused by feline herpes virus.
Most vets don't test for feline herpes unless there is suspicion that the cat has it, (and often not even then) so if the cat does not actually have a URI at the time iof exam they would be marked as healthy.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, makes sense. So, what that means now is that there is a chance that all 3 of cats have this herpes virus? Since they are sharing 2 litter boxes and food and water dishes.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes there is a chance. It is spread usually by sneezing IIRC. However my one cat most likely has it and none of my other cats have had symptoms. They don't constantly shed the virus, only when they are stressed and/or having a flare-up and for a time after according to what my vet told me. I kept Church separated when he had flare ups...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

It is possible that she has an underlying condition causing the URIs. One possibility is herpes. If your foster cat had a URI she may have trasmitted herpes virus to your cat. Cats with herpes will often have recurring URIs, especially when they are stressed.
My vet recommended supplementing with lysine for my cat who had recurring URIs and she suspected had herpes virus. She also suggested giving a colostrum supplement. These will help to boost the immune system. The dosages she told me were the same for both supplements- 500 mg twice a day for adult cats. She suggested buying capsules made for humans, then you can open them and mix the powder in canned food.
You should ask your vet if this is ok for your cat.
That's what I do with Bugsy - I give him 500 mg of L-Lysine a day (when he is sneezing, if not 250mg/day), and 1 Transfer Factor (colostrum supplement). I give it to him due to URIs and to boost his immune system in general, due to a steroid shot for his teeth problem. Steroids seriously compromises the immune system, so if your cat gets the shot, try to increase his immune system with supplements to avoid opportunistic diseases, such as URIs. L-Lysine is great for that.

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by scuns68

Ok, makes sense. So, what that means now is that there is a chance that all 3 of cats have this herpes virus? Since they are sharing 2 litter boxes and food and water dishes.
70% of all cats have the herpes virus. Not all of those 70% show symptoms. Lysine comes highly recommended in use with herpes active cats as it suppresses the herpes virus. I would be VERY cautious using antibiotics repeatedly. Just like as in humans, a kitties body can become so used to it that the antibiotics become ineffective. Antibiotics cannot cure herpes. They can only help control it. So, if possible use antibiotics sparingly. I have found a very effective solution for lower grade infections to be echinachea with goldenseal. A traditional vet will not have any info on this treatment, consult a Holistic vet if unsure about treatment.I have additional information on this if you are interested I can send it to you PM.

If your cat indeed does have herpes the URI can and usually is accompanied by chronic eye infections.

Sanitize water and food bowls daily as not to spread the disease. If kitty has an outbreak it would be best if you could quarantine him/her until the flare up passes.

Here is a link to an extremely informative group on the subject which includes kitty flu, sneezing, URI's, asthma etc..: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/felineherpes/

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DWMeowMix

70% of all cats have the herpes virus. Not all of those 70% show symptoms. Lysine comes highly recommended in use with herpes active cats as it suppresses the herpes virus. I would be VERY cautious using antibiotics repeatedly. Just like as in humans, a kitties body can become so used to it that the antibiotics become ineffective. Antibiotics cannot cure herpes. They can only help control it. So, if possible use antibiotics sparingly. I have found a very effective solution for lower grade infections to be echinachea with goldenseal.Please check with a qualified vet prior to adding this, sharky added this I have additional information on this if you are interested I can send it to you PM.

If your cat indeed does have herpes the URI can and usually is accompanied by chronic eye infections.

Sanitize water and food bowls daily as not to spread the disease. If kitty has an outbreak it would be best if you could quarantine him/her until the flare up passes.

one of my current vets said he would like to see a cat who did not have the virus,,, ie he said newer thinking is up to 90% have the virus

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

one of my current vets said he would like to see a cat who did not have the virus,,, ie he said newer thinking is up to 90% have the virus
That doesn't surprise me in the least. I just wish there was a cure...