do newborn

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittens hiss? Mine are 5 days old and one sounds like he is hissing. He opes his mouth and actually hisses. I guess it would be normal, he is a cat. Thanks Also, when should the kittens start going to the bathroom? Haven't seen anything yet.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kittens will hiss when they are only days old. They seem to do it when you get close to them and they don't recognize the smell. Since they can't see you yet, this is how they react.

The mother cat has been taking care of the pee/poo issue and you won't need to start training them until at least 4 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. You would think I would know everything about cats after 30 years of having them. I knew someone would be up when I wrote that at about midnight. Have to keep them warm. I get up twice in the night to turn on their kerosene heater for about 20 minutes. Can't wait till we stop having these 20 degree nights!! Thanks again.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have started hissing too, it makes me laugh.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, its cute cause the hiss would not scare a grasshopper very much. But its a natural inborn instinct to hiss. They cannot see or hear very well, so that's the next best thing. Once they are more used to your scent as you pick them up and pet them, they will stop hissing before their eyes are open!

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As others have said hissing is a natural instictive reaction to a perceived threat. But what's really funny is watching a four or five week old kitten all fluffed up, back arched and doing that sideways walk while hissing. Adorable!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

As others have said hissing is a natural instictive reaction to a perceived threat. But what's really funny is watching a four or five week old kitten all fluffed up, back arched and doing that sideways walk while hissing. Adorable!
I've never been around kittens less than 3 - 4 mos old, but the sideways walk just cracks me up too. It's so cute!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, ya they start really soon!
And purring too! Some of my guys have started at a few days!

As said before, mommy cleans them up when they go to the washroom by liking them...kind of gross but in the wild they can't have a smelly nest that attracts predadtors! Thats why the eat the birth too...at least humans dont have to do that!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Oh I love the sideways walk too
The kittens I have now are the sweetest most agrreable kittens
I have yet to hear them hiss!! even when they first got here and didn't know my scent....They are so freaking cute