Pregnant Stray-moving her

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
**I posted this in pregnant cats as well but need info quick**

I work with teens in a pretty bad neighborhood of our city. One of my teens feeds a stray cat in her yard and its pregnant. I'd like to take care of this cat and its kittens by bringing it to my house--but I wouldn't be able to bring it inside. If I brought it here and gave it a warm place outside, food and water would it stay and give birth here?

She says its friendly but the babies could come any day. I guess I could try and get a big dog cage on craigslist and keep it on the front porch.

Kids in her neighborhood will hurt the kittens.

Leslie

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The crate is probably a better idea than just moving her. She'd probably try to go "home" if you don't confine her in some way. If she's really feral, I wouldn't be surprised if she goes bonkers.

But if the crate is roomy enough and in a quiet place, she may not mind. Are you sure there's not a room (garage or shed maybe) wher you can place the crate, at least for a few days? She'll need quiet most of all or she'll be too frightened. And that may harm the kits.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See Number 1 Is your porch enclosed? You don't want to lock her in a cage and leave her outside. She won't be able to protect herself locked up. How about a box or something under the porch maybe way in the back kinda hidden although a shed or garage would be better. How about a local rescue?

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74659

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Observe, once you DO have her in the cage or similiar, you can always move her indoors into your house.

Let her calm down undisturbed. After she realises nobody threatens her - she will copy, semiferal or not.
Mommas are almost the easiest of all the ferales...

Write more later, must go to work now...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In short.

I believe you should / could plan on trying to take her in. the catching may be difficult. Once inside, it should go all right if you do it cautiously. More about it later if need be.

For the catching, avoid to grab her (seldom good idea, although it DO happens. Unless she apparently IS villing to come into your arms, dont try to grab). A trap is often necessary. Or at least, take her in a carrier or cage or something like it...

There are a couple of recent threads in similiar matter - ie preggy semiferales.

One is Need advice, feral cat has kitten on my patio...

One other is: I need some encouragement.

Good luck!

browneyes106

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cat isn't feral she shouldn't be too hard to catch. Are there no kill shelters that would be able to get her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

. I'd like to take care of this cat and its kittens by bringing it to my house--but I wouldn't be able to bring it inside.
Oh, I perhaps misunderstood you?

You ARE saying you by some reason cant take her inside into your house. Allergy in family??

I though you dont believe you can manage having a semiferale inside - this is a quite common misbelief about otherwise willing helpers, you see.

Dog crate in the open isnt too good as someone said. She would probably be too unprotected. But if you have a cellar, or a hut. THERE you could have this cage. It may work OK.
Big dog cages are often a useful help if you dont have suitable room inside. The cage makes it possible to use a not quite suitable room.

Any way. She needs help. Very good you and that fine teenager are working on it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's here, in a cage on my covered porch and calm. I posted in pregnant cats and kittens

She's not feral she's a very friendly stray.

I can't bring her as I have two cats, and husband says no!!! I'm going to try and convince him since she is caged to let her come inside, but the last cat I brought into the house (overnight in the bathroom before she went to the shelter) caused a lot of stress on my own and I'm really not willing to do that--they have herpes and it could flare easily.

Leslie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

She's here, in a cage on my covered porch and calm.

She's not feral she's a very friendly stray.

I can't bring her as I have two cats, and husband says no!!! I'm going to try and convince him since she is caged to let her come inside, but the last cat I brought into the house (overnight in the bathroom before she went to the shelter) caused a lot of stress on my own cats and I'm really not willing to do that--they have herpes and it could flare easily.

Leslie
Excellent!

Pity about the herpes and nervousness of your own cats. Of course you must think about your own cats too....Even about the hubby!

IF you take her inside, use a Feliway-diffuser. It will get your residents feel safer and more comfortable. I think this should make the difference.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! Keep us posted - sounds like you know what you're doing - like keeping her cage covered, etc. Even better that she's not bouncing off the cage walls and is friendly - I'm so glad you got her, and her to-be kittens, in a safe place.

Once the kitten(s) arrive there might be another whole adventure.

I'd take a guess that if she's happy about the care, she'd stay around once she's released out of the cage. I guess you already know she'll move the babies if she gets a chance - then you'll go crazy wondering if they're okay.

And, you do know that once the kittens get stronger, that the sooner you get her spayed the better - and, she will be able to continue nursing them.

Well, you probably already know more than me about these sorts of things, it's just that I'm so glad you've been able to help her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been posting in pregnant cats and kittens I forgot to check back here.

I took momma to the vet yesterday she's very healthy, no fleas and FIV and FeLV negative. She was just a doll in the exam room--laid on my lap for pets and lovins and was an angel with the vet staff.

you can also check out her blog for update info

http://leslie-felinefamily.blogspot.com/

Hopefully she'll have these babies any day now.

Leslie