If it's not FIP, what is it?

thoughtdust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just had the most horrible weekend, waiting for test results on fluid that the vet drained from my nine-year-old guy's chest. But today, they said that the results were "not consistent with FIP" - yay, I said!
So what else could it be? The beginning of this month, I noticed he was feeling kind of skinny. So I bought him some tasty canned food, which he scarfed down, but he eventually lost interest in that too. The vet took blood and those tests came back negative for FIV and feline leukemia, but said he was borderline anemic and his globulins (?) were a little high. They said this meant that his immune system was fighting something off. So I brought him back for Xrays, which showed fluid in his chest. They sucked that out and sent it off, and my awful weekend began.
Everything I've been reading on the internet really makes it sound like FIP (which I'd never heard of before last week - I'm much smarter now) and I can't find any other explanation for fluid in his chest. The vet has asked the lab to test the fluid for "a bacterial cause" but the results won't be in for 3 or 4 days. If any of this sounds familar to anybody, I would appreciate any advice very much. Thanks!

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they don't discover a cause, the FIP test can give both false positive and false negative results for various reasons. There is also a condition known as Chylothorax which was another consideration my vet had during our own FIP battle. Do you know what color the fluid was?

Much
's & cuddles to your furbaby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thoughtdust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. It was kind of cloudy clear fluid. They said it wasn't consistent with FIP because the white blood cell count was too high.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
White blood cells in the fluid sound like a bacterial infection of some kind.
that the test results show something that can be treated easily.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

White blood cells in the fluid sound like a bacterial infection of some kind.
that the test results show something that can be treated easily.
We'll all be crossing our paws over here, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thoughtdust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, thanks! He's really a good kitty and I've just been out of my mind. Bacteria makes me think of something noxious in the house - like mold or something?

KittyBernard, he looks like your tuxedo, except he looks like he moved when they were painting him - he's got a crooked white stripe going up the side of his nose.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, he sounds simply adorable!!
What's his name? I'd love to see a pic of him sometime and I'm sure everyone else would too!

If an environmental culprit is something you worry about, it wouldn't hurt to suggest it to your vet anyway and get it off of your mind. Finding the cause & getting a diagnosis is a scary thing.. it's a good thing you two have each other to comfort no matter what!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just lost my cat Spot to Chylousperitonium, that is a build up lymphatic fluid in her abdomen. It can also build up in the chest. Somewhere in the lymphatic system there is a leak and it is almost impossible to find my vet told me. It is a milky fluid that the vet drained off. It is very rare in cats. Please ask your vet about this. When I saw your question, Chylothroax was the first thing that I thought of. I have read so much about this nasty thing since I lost Spot. I sure wish you the best and hope I am wrong.

spencerstones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat is going through almost the exact same thing. Did you ever find out what it was? The not knowing is driving me crazy. Thanks.