They are SOO lucky we love them.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little boogers are so incredibly lucky that I love them.

Whats everyone elses furniture look like?

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! Nacho doesn't look too concerned with getting punished. Of course, he didn't do any of it of course.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crikey!!! Our couches have a few threads hanging off, but we've had the cats for 3 years, and most of the damage to the couch is from us spilling stuff on them!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cammy hasn't done anything to our couch! We've caught her scratching it but she hasn't done any damage yet, thank goodness.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fortunate that neither of my cats scratch on furniture. When I brought Chynna in, she started to scratch on a stack of cardboard boxes that I had collapsed and sitting against a wall while waiting for a storage locker to become available.

When I moved to where I am now, I kept a stack of boxes collapsed behind the bookcase in the living room. Chynna continued to use them.

When I got Abby in 1998 I was worried that she would scratch the furniture. But she didn't. She saw Chynna scratching the boxes, and she started doing it too.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! Cats did that??!! Wow, I'm impressed
. Maia wouldn't dare, she has designated scratching areas just for her! Although Sweety use to climb up the side of a door frame! No joke, literally climb up to the top and wait for one of us to get her down
. She definitely destroyed that area......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. They all use the couch. I tried everything. Clipping their nails, buying cat posts, the catnip cardboard things.

The scratching post is a bit scratche dup.. only Poptart uses it though.

But since the couch is almost unscratchable, they are starting to use the carpet, and now there are big carpet threads pulled up here and there.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Yeah. They all use the couch. I tried everything. Clipping their nails, buying cat posts, the catnip cardboard things.

But since the couch is almost unscratchable, they are starting to use the carpet, and now there are big carpet threads pulled up here and there.
Well since it looks like you are stuck keeping the couch, heres a suggestion. Cut a piece of carpet and staple gun it where they love to scratch on the couch, that should keep them from developing the habit of scratching the carpet. It's not always what it is, but where it is.....

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yipes! Our cats have their own couch, which Spud has used to scratch on, but it looked bad when my DH hauled it home. Compliments of his boss.
They have scratching post that they get down on and leave the rest of the furniture alone. I would love to get rid of the cat couch, but that is their bed...and we all know it is about the cats!
(Well, it's their bed until it's bedtime and then our bed is their bed!)

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our couches are not that bad, but the cats occasionally will use em even tho they have two scratch houses...they also like to use my bed, matress

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm fortunate that neither of my cats scratch on furniture.
Mine don't scratch furniture either, they've never even tried and have always used scratching posts, I have at least one post in each room.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going home and giving Bijou a great big fat kiss - He and Mika never scratched our furniture, actually I've never had a cat that scratched furniture now that I think about it.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one spot on the lower left hand corner from the cats, and one spot on the upper right hand corner from my dog

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

You should try soft paws...I have no time or energy to teach Jake to use his scratching post ONLY. He uses his scartching post but also whatever else he likes...I can't even teach him not to get up on counters/tables, to stop throwing all of my things from my desk on the floor and all of the crazy stuff that he does!! At times I feel so powerless because he is very stubborn, no matter how many times I put him down he still gets right back up on the table while I'm eating....He doesn't come near my plate but just sits across from me and watches me. But yea I've given up on discipline...
That's why I use soft paws

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! Nero hasn't quite demolished our couch yet. Luckily it was a free tan leather couch (and we actually want black instead
But until then, free furniture will do). There ARE a bunch of little kitty gouges where he sticks those claws in and out though!

The bottom of our bed is a different story
Its starting to get fuzzy from Nero scratching at it as if it were his post.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milo likes to scratch at this chair. It's not that bad but my fiances parents were not happy about it.

He also did this. This is a support for the house and it can't be replaced easily.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel bad for those of you with cats who prefer furniture

Since I do not have room for an adequate scratcher, they are allowed to use my desk chair as it is the easiest and cheapest to replace.
I'm lucky that my girls are fine with the arrangement, they never touch anything else.