Best INEXPENSIVE vacuum?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need a new one, badly. The one we have now is a crappy bagless bissell upright.

I hate uprights. I need to be able to properly vacuum off the furniture and stairwell... and an upright is almost impossible.

But if it has amazing suction, then I probably wouldn't care too much, as long as it still had an attachment to vacuum the furniture.

I prefer bagless too... as it is with all the pet hair, I have to empty the bissells canister after one room, and thats with vacuuming once a week. It would cost an arm and a leg if it had bags.

I figure it's best to ask you guys, since we are all pet owners.. hopefully someone found an amazing vacuum for fairly cheap.

I have 6 cats and 2 dogs.. and thats a lot of hair.
PS, the one dog is a bouvier mix.. if you know how much they shed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I guess it all depends on what your definition of cheap is.

Are you looking for something that's $50? $100?
Not a dyson.

I think up to $250 would be reasonable.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have a bissell upright.
So far I like it and am quite shocked how much it can get up! Of course, like you, I too have to empty out a somewhat smaller canister after one room. DH and I plan to rip up most of the carpets, so I'm fine with that.

That's the downside of any bagless type vacuum. More care for their filters and plenty of emptying.

And a little note on those Hoover's - If what I've found is correct, they're a Walmart/Sam's only model and it looks like a lot of Walmarts aren't restocking it. Also, Hoover was purchased by the same company that makes Dirt Devil (vacs that always seem to have terrible reviews), so make of that what you will...

As for everyone's favorite, Dyson. They seem to overall have the same reviews you see on most decent vacuum cleaners. The only difference being that this is the "in" thing and one is paying for the name.

It might help if you let us know what's available in your area as far as shopping or whether you're willing to buy online.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My walmart just restocked but uped to price to 50 instead of 40...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an infinity vacuum. It's really good and it's not too expernsive...

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't buy a Dirt Devil. I bought 2 to clean up spilled litter clay from the litter box (Ally likes to make a mess).

They're horrible.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't remember what year my vac is, but I have a Eureka Boss 4D, it is bagless, but I do believe they make a bag version.
It rated 3 spots higher than the Dyson the year I bought it.
It's an upright, but the powerpaw attachment kicks major butt on the furniture and stairs.

I paid $179, but I've seen it as low as $120

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Eureka The Boss Smartvac 4870. It's about $150 usually. I love it, had it since '04.
Originally we had carpet, but now I use it on hard floors. So I can say it does both really well. I bought mine from Wal-Mart online, but now they carry it in the store. Bags/belts/filters are pretty easy to find and inexpensive. Consumer Reports loves this vacuum.

Hope that helps!

Edit: They now have a pet version of the 4870 that I've seen at Sears.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I have a Eureka The Boss Smartvac 4870. It's about $150 usually. I love it, had it since '04.
Originally we had carpet, but now I use it on hard floors. So I can say it does both really well. I bought mine from Wal-Mart online, but now they carry it in the store. Bags/belts/filters are pretty easy to find and inexpensive. Consumer Reports loves this vacuum.

Hope that helps!

Edit: They now have a pet version of the 4870 that I've seen at Sears.
That's the bagged version of the 4D, I just couldn't think of the name

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, you guys are big spenders! I've had a bagless Eureka Maxima that I got for $40 at K-Mart, and it's been great. Then again, as a guy, I think it's against The Code to spend too much for a vacuum. Hell, it might be against The Code to buy a vacuum at all!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

Wow, you guys are big spenders! I've had a bagless Eureka Maxima that I got for $40 at K-Mart, and it's been great. Then again, as a guy, I think it's against The Code to spend too much for a vacuum. Hell, it might be against The Code to buy a vacuum at all!
Wait, you bought a vacuum?
I think you might have to forfeit your mancard for that!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of the Kenmore beltless & bagless models and love it - it was about $250 two years, I think. It was the one that got a great Consumer Reports review (they don't seem to like Dyson all that much, do they?). I used to have a cheapy Hoover which I thought was ok, but boy, the difference! Cheapy is still in the garage, waiting for emergency use.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Kenmore Progressive whispertone,with the bag.. Thats my favorite... I also have a Dyson bagless and prefer not to use that one.. I spend too much time emptying cat hair with that one