TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Handheld Vacuum advice ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Handheld Vacuum advice ....

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I love my Dyson and use it a lot, but sometimes I dont feel like dragging it all over for something minor, so I am looking to get a handheld.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a handheld, it could be cordless or not, but something that is well made with a strong suction?

Has anyone tried the Dyson handheld? Did you like it?

Thanks guys if you have any info.
post #2 of 22
I'll be interested to hear this seeing as my stairs are the only part of the house that's carpeted
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
I'll be interested to hear this seeing as my stairs are the only part of the house that's carpeted
I have inlaid carpet on my stairs, too and the rest of the house is hardwood, but I do use my Dyson on my hardwood floors, lamps, cat trees, everything really.
But sometimes I dont want to do it all, just do some light stuff and save some for later.
post #4 of 22
I know what you mean. I use the swiffer to get the cat hairs up, then go over with the vacuum, but usually it doesn't need it
post #5 of 22
I've read mixed reviews about the Dyson handheld. It was a little out of my price range anyway.

I ordered this Eureka handheld last fall and have been very impressed with it. Works great on the furniture and cat tree. No carpet on my steps, so I can't speak for how well it would do there, but it's a powerful little machine, great suction and reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-71B-Han...owViewpoints=1
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Susan, do you really know what I mean? We know on Thursdays that you get it all done. I cannot imagine you saving anything to clean for later
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
I looked at that on Amazon, Eileen, but some of the negative comments made me keep looking. It might be something I come back to though.

I thought I heard someone mention using the Shark Handheld but I cant find where I read it now ........
post #8 of 22
I inherited a hand held vacuum about a year ago. Her name is Izzy. You can have her if you want! She cleans up anything, pencils, paper, lint, cat food, you name it - she sucks it right up!

I've heard good things about the Shark....I've looked at the steam mop they have, but can't tell you much about the handheld.
post #9 of 22
Considering how many reviews that Eureka has, that's actually pretty good. There will always be problems with vacuum cleaners, especially anything bagless (as they take extra care). And there'll always be people who complain.

I don't know about the Shark handhelds, but their regular vacs have very very bad reviews - such that there's none if any good reviews. The general theme on those is cheap motor, poor suction, wear out early.

If Eileen's Eureka is still going strong from last fall with no loss of suction, it may be worth checking into.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I've heard good things about the Shark....I've looked at the steam mop they have, but can't tell you much about the handheld.
I have the Shark Steam Mop and I LOVE it. Its one of the best purchases I have bought. I just spray vinegar on the floor and steam away. I was telling Susan and Gaye about them, too, I love it!!

LOLOL @ Izzy. Snowb tries to do it here, but I mean and wont let him LOL
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post

If Eileen's Eureka is still going strong from last fall with no loss of suction, it may be worth checking into.
Im definitely leaning towards that. I wish I could find one that had as many fans as the Dyson with little to no problems.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Susan, do you really know what I mean? We know on Thursdays that you get it all done. I cannot imagine you saving anything to clean for later


Pam I have the handheld Dyson, not what I expected, I do not recommend it, I think a dustbuster is better
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post


Pam I have the handheld Dyson, not what I expected, I do not recommend it, I think a dustbuster is better
I was shocked to read any negative feedback on the Dyson handheld. Someone said the battery life was only 6 minutes. I would have thought they would have made it better.

Do you have a dustbuster?
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I thought I heard someone mention using the Shark Handheld but I cant find where I read it now ........
That would be Lei and I.

I have this model and like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Retracta.../dp/B000F3Q9E8

I don't use it as often as I used to because my large vac has a similar turbo brush.

My mother got one of these for Christmas and loves it.
post #15 of 22
we have one of these for small stuff and just to quickly vacuum
http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-083.../dp/B00063L3PC
It changes into just a handheld and its bagless. Its very easy to use and great to just do a quick clean up!
oh and I think it was $25 at walmart. And ours is blue, not that it matters though!
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I was shocked to read any negative feedback on the Dyson handheld. Someone said the battery life was only 6 minutes. I would have thought they would have made it better.

Do you have a dustbuster?
Yes I have a dustbuster I think the battery lasts longer than that on the Dyson
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
That would be Lei and I.

I have this model and like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Retracta.../dp/B000F3Q9E8

I don't use it as often as I used to because my large vac has a similar turbo brush.

My mother got one of these for Christmas and loves it.
I knew I had heard someone talk about that. Does it have a strong suction? I want to be able to use it around the litter boxes and of course for HAIR.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Yes I have a dustbuster I think the battery lasts longer than that on the Dyson
Thats just what someone put in the comment section, maybe she only charged 6 minutes worth of charge on the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_jordi View Post
we have one of these for small stuff and just to quickly vacuum
http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-083.../dp/B00063L3PC
It changes into just a handheld and its bagless. Its very easy to use and great to just do a quick clean up!
oh and I think it was $25 at walmart. And ours is blue, not that it matters though!
I will definitely check that one out, too. Thank you.
post #18 of 22
I have a Shark SV736 and it has the motorized turbo head that is good at picking up hair. I have had it for almost a year and when I got it it had something on the box about being for pets. That was why I bought it. It was cheap enough to be an impulse buy and it works really well. I had a Shark handheld years ago and didn't like it, I threw it out when I moved. This one works really well.
post #19 of 22
We also need a handheld one so I will be keeping an eye on this thread!
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
I keep going back and forth between the Eureka and the Shark. I think Im leaning towards a corded one. Im not sure yet. I think Im going to do a little more research.
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
I ended up going with the Eureka because it was corded and I didnt want to have to stop cleaning to recharge.

For those that were interested in one, I highly recommend this one. I have used it several times now. Its very powerful, I was actually shocked with how powerful it was. It has a brush on the front, with a window that covers it, that you can slide the window up or down, to clean either horizontal or vertical spaces.

It has an attachment for small crevices like on cat trees and furniture.
I love it so far.


http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-71B-Han...9651035&sr=8-1
post #22 of 22
I have a cheapo Dust Buster that I bought several years ago. It's more than paid for itself (all $15-$20 I paid for it). It didn't have spectacular reviews, but it's good enough for quick pickups and when Lola kicks litter out right after I've cleaned the box. I can clean it up with the Dust Buster, then dump it right back in the box.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Handheld Vacuum advice ....