Helicopters...arrrghhhhh

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why must the Army fly their helicopters over my neighborhood at all hours of the day and night. Im not talking about one or two, but 5 or 6 or even more at a time. sometimes so low you can see the pilots. It shakes the house and Diva gets scared everytime...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's never really bothered me.
I love seeing the chinooks fly over. I remember seeing a lot of jets fly over back during the gulf war - that was neat.

What's a little unnerving is seeing a helicopter dropping down large sandbags in the field right next to you.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I love seeing the chinooks fly over. I remember seeing a lot of jets fly over back during the gulf war - that was neat.

What's a little unnerving is seeing a helicopter dropping down large sandbags in the field right next to you.
That's strange. Did any of that bad weather hit you guys?

I hate that sound & feeling when they fly down so low.. might as well be landing on the house!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had snow, but that wasn't what the helicopter was for. This happened last summer. Because this area has a lot of natural gas drilling, there's a lot of geological surveying done. Between that and a bunch of sink holes lately they did a very thorough survey of the area, including impact tests with those huge sand bags.

It was neat to watch from a distance, but 30 or so yards was too close for my comfort. They actually dropped it down in one person's backyard (very big backyard). Imagine looking out the window and seeing that!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That wouldn't bother me much. I'm afraid of heights- try rappelling or fast roping out of a Blackhawk instead. I was always fine once I was on the way down.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You think that is bad?? Try listening to artillery firing off all the way out in the boonies of an army base and it still rattles your dishes in your cabinet!
And as a bonus...we get the helicopters, plus the local airport noise!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

You think that is bad?? Try listening to artillery firing off all the way out in the boonies of an army base and it still rattles your dishes in your cabinet!
And as a bonus...we get the helicopters, plus the local airport noise!
Reminds me of Fort Devens...we lived there right before they closed it down, it was a training center for special forces

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ft Devens? Really?

My wife essentially grew up there. In fact, the Budweiser building there is built on what was the mobile home park when she lived there. Then they moved to Pepperell.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our previous house was beside a hospital - quiet right? Wrong! We were the distance of 4 houses from the emergency helicopter pad.
Fortunately there weren't many medical helicopter emergencies. One time we went out to our driveway and they had police, the guy was handcuffed to the gurney, the whole 9 yards. It was rather interesting and we wondered what kind of bad guy he was to warrant all the police etc.