Elijah Has An Abcessed Tooth

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Elijah Blue-eyes! This weekend I realized that one of his upper canine teeth was hanging lower than the opposite one. It looked pretty weird and so I held him in my lap so I could get a better look. The tooth looked bad, really bad and was loose. His face has never looked swollen and he has been eating.

This morning, first thing, I ran him (and Anna, she needed her rabies vac.) to the vet. The tooth has abcessed and will need to be pulled. So Anna is home with me and Eli stayed at the vet for dental work. They are going to pull the bad tooth and clean the others. Hopefully, that will be the only extraction he needs. I asked them to do a mini-blood panel before the dental. He's eleven years old and needs his kidney function tested anyway. I go to pick him up after three-thirty this afternoon.

I feel guilty knowing he had to have been in pain from the bad tooth. The vet said he has been eating out of the other side of his mouth and with no swelling or loss of appetite there wasn't anyway to tell something was wrong.

So Eli and I could use some wonderful TCS vibes that the dental goes well and his blood work is normal. Also, good vibes for a quick recovery from having the tooth pulled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He's home now and a little wobbly still from the anesthesia. His blood panel was all in the normal range. He only lost the one tooth. Right now, Anna is staying with him. She seems worried about him. If he lays down, she tries to clean his ears.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Thank you. He's home now and a little wobbly still from the anesthesia. His blood panel was all in the normal range. He only lost the one tooth. Right now, Anna is staying with him. She seems worried about him. If he lays down, she tries to clean his ears.
Awww, what a sweet girl!
Billy had to have one of his uppers removed as well & it was no biggie at all. His bottom tooth does catch on his upper lip now, though, like a bulldog (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9r3sVxs1ee...0/IM005026.JPG)
, so the first two weeks he had a little sore on his lip we kept an eye on until his skin got used to it. Just another reason among many to baby our babies!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw poor baby. Glad he's home and better and that his sister is taking care of cleaning his ears too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's sleeping on my bed at the moment. Most of the wobblies seem to be gone. Anna has decided he no longer needs nursing care and has gone to dump/play in the water bowl in the bathtub.

Funny thing, he smells lightly of perfume, like the ones the groomers use. He, also, looks like someone took the time to brush him. (He has a wonderful, silky coat that doesn't mat.) Maybe one of the vet techs thought it would comfort him while he woke up?