Questions about UTI

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our neighbor's cat had a serious UTI a couple weeks ago and was hospitalized for the entire week. He visits us a lot (we live in the same building and the cats play "musical apartments"). The neighbors said that we should avoid letting him eat our cats' food since he's on a special diet. Two questions:

1. Is there any non-Rx food that's safe for a UTI cat, in case I need to leave something out for Mia (she's a grazer) and he gets into it? Or should I heed them and not let him eat anything at all? (he also seems really skinny all of a sudden, so my instinct is to try to fatten him up, though I know that's not my place..)
2. How good is the prescription UTI food? Could they get something better/cheaper at a Pet store?

We feed our cats mainly avoderm canned, and wellness core.
Thank you in advance for help!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do NOT let the cat eat anything if that's what the owners have asked. Even eating a little bit of something that's not prescribed has the potential to create problems for the cat.

He's probably skinny because of the illness. Most cats' appetites decrease when they don't feel well. He'll probably fatten back up in no time.

Stephanie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They don't sell prescription UTI food in pet stores. You have to get it through your vet. A cat with UTI type issues needs to avoid anything with fish in it. Wellness Core (dry) is Chicken and Salmon. I agree to ask the owners on whether or not he would be allowed to nibble food at your place, but pull anything that has fish in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK thank you guys for your answers. I think to avoid the problem, I will just keep my door closed and not let him come in. That way I don't have to worry about making him sicker. He seems better recently and is putting on some weight again.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

They don't sell prescription UTI food in pet stores. You have to get it through your vet. A cat with UTI type issues needs to avoid anything with fish in it. Wellness Core (dry) is Chicken and Salmon. I agree to ask the owners on whether or not he would be allowed to nibble food at your place, but pull anything that has fish in it.
That's what I've been "preaching", too - "no fish for cats" - the only fish two of my three cats MIGHT get is what is insignificantly listed on the label - I never buy anything that is specifically labeled as a FISH something, salmon or otherwise.

I have one cat on the prescription - the other two on a "regular" diet - which is another whole story that most here know too well trying to keep the one from eating the other two's food - especially when all of them prefer "grazing".

I once was feeding them wonderful flavors - tuna, salmon, blah, blah - until the older one started showing he was stressed when using the litter pan - but never again - so that, hopefully, the other two won't fall into the same problem as my older one.

The thing is, and I find real curious - I just bought a case of the prescription food from my Vet - and the ingredients have changed - they now have FISH OIL listed as the 7th ingredient! The other ingredients before that ingredient seem to be somewhat better than the previous/older canned food - instead of "meat by-broducts, and chicken by-products as the second and third ingredient, we now have Chcken, Chicken Liver, Pork Liver, Pork by-products - corn flour, then fish oil along with some other ingredient balancing act.

I'll be talking to my vet - bet he doesn't know they've changed the ingredients. Surely they have a good reason for changing the ingredients - but it isn't listed anywhere on the website - they don't even say they've changed ? perhaps for marketing reasons.