My Son is Joining the Marines!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be a while, since he's still a junior in high school, but he's getting his physical and taking his test (can't remember the name, but it's like a vocational test) this week!

Semper Fi!!!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ASVAB is the name of the test if I remember correctly, it's been a long time.

Congrats, you must be proud of him. One of best friends will be able to retire from the USMC in a year or so. He is shipping out in two weeks for a six month deployment (give or take) to Afghanistan. He volunteered for it. I'm jealous because I want to go with him!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations to your son. It can be a great career if he wants to make it one. My niece joined the Marines right out of high school. That was almost three years ago and I think she's in for life.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

It will be a while, since he's still a junior in high school, but he's getting his physical and taking his test (can't remember the name, but it's like a vocational test) this week!

Semper Fi!!!
Congrats! I served ten years in the USN and despite what you may have heard marines and sailors have a very friendly rivalry.

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good for him! I tutor the ASVAB so if you or your son have any questions feel free to PM me. You can't use a calculator for the math part, which is the worst in my opinion (since if I remember correctly, high school lets you use a calculator for everything!).. he'll need to brush up on long division and fractions if it's been a while since he's done that stuff. Best wishes to him!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Semper Fi? Best of luck to your son
"Semper Fi" is the motto of the USMC.

"Semper Fidelis is Latin for "Always Faithful". Well known in the USA as the motto of the United States Marine Corps, this phrase, often shortened to Semper Fi (/ˌsɛmpər ˈfаɪ/) in Marine contexts, has served as a slogan for many families and entities, in many countries, dating at least as far back as the 14th century."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semper_fidelis

Congrats to your son! You must be so proud!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... congratulations! Are you excited for him?

Originally Posted by MiaMaria

Good for him! I tutor the ASVAB so if you or your son have any questions feel free to PM me. You can't use a calculator for the math part, which is the worst in my opinion (since if I remember correctly, high school lets you use a calculator for everything!).. he'll need to brush up on long division and fractions if it's been a while since he's done that stuff. Best wishes to him!
Can I borrow your knowledge if necessary? I have a nephew who's failing out of school at 13 and thinks that he can quit school and the military will still take him. He hasn't mentioned it recently but it would be good if I had some first hand info to pass on to him.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats!
My oldest is in the Navy as a corpmen. He is suppose to ship out with the Marines as their medic to Afghanistan in December.

It's so scary being the mother/wife of a military person.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! What an honorable thing to do.

I will be keeping him and your family in my prayers.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nephew and cousin both joined the Marines. We attended the graduation ceremonies when nephew completed basic at Parris Island. Since you are in Colorado I presume your son may end up in California?

Devil Dogs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Wow... congratulations! Are you excited for him?

Can I borrow your knowledge if necessary? I have a nephew who's failing out of school at 13 and thinks that he can quit school and the military will still take him. He hasn't mentioned it recently but it would be good if I had some first hand info to pass on to him.
The military (or at least the Marines for sure) will not take kids without a diploma. That's one thing that's actually brought his grades up!

And thanks everyone, he's very excited, so I'm excited for him. We now have a flagpole in front of the house that sports the US and Marine flags.

My dad was a Marine, as is my brother in law, and my sister was in the Navy.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

The military (or at least the Marines for sure) will not take kids without a diploma. That's one thing that's actually brought his grades up!
That's what got my niece through high school, or at least kept her in long enough to get her diploma. Nothing wrong with her brain (she scored 92 on the ASVAB test), she just hated doing homework.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, he got a 69 on his test. Sorry, I can never remember the name of it, LOL. His recruiter thought that was pretty good. He can't be a cryptologist, though.