Big Cat Rescue on Extrene home makover!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's on right now, they are re-doing a home that is a rescue for big cats! It's awesome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ugggh not for the weak of heart. Already had tears brought to my eyes twice! They've rescued big cats that were declawed
ost of the claws grow back in and the cats need reconstructive surgery so they can walk

peope are so so sick

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They built a new house for the family and redid the cage areas as well as an education/visitors center.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched that program, they had Jeff Corwin come in with his crew and take over the care of the animals while the family was sent away during the construction.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was wonderful. I am so glad they explained, that declawing a cat is cutting their toes off. I am hopeful that people will finally get it.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost lost it when I was watching this.

Big cats are my most absolute favorite animals (especially Tigers), and I had not heard before that people actually tried declawing them.
I know all cats need their claws.. but especially a wild animal like that.. that is so incredibly inhumane.

I was glad they made the enclosures bigger and added things for them to do. At the beginning you could see the tigers pacing, which is a sign of boredom.

An amazing place. So glad these people got this makeover. They can help even more broken souls.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time they would talk about how much this family loved their animals & how much the community loved these people I would totally start crying.

I was horrified by the damage done to those magnificiant animals by people trying to declaw them.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I remembered discussions here previously that declawing big cats was a whole different ball game from declawing domestics.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho....php?p=2470267

From the personal experience of our resident big cat owner:

All my domestics have their claws. However, my Bobcats are declawed on the front and our cougar on all 4. The main reason is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
with Big cat s it is a true Human Safety issue ...

There is also the issue of vet care and their safety, that is the #1 reason why I did, not for my safety. I could handle my cougar with his claws and same with my bobcats, but if a vet would refuse to care for them, what do you do? Our vet uses laser and I should note, none of my cats have ever showed any signs of distress. The only time Carmelo did, was when I accidentally stepped on his front paw We were playing when this happened. He shook his paw, licked the toes for a bit, then we continued playing. I will be getting Bobcat #4 soon, a rescue and she is not declawed. I am not sure if I will declaw her though. I believe she is around 6 months of age and her claws are getting a bit large.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

I thought I remembered discussions here previously that declawing big cats was a whole different ball game from declawing domestics.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho....php?p=2470267

From the personal experience of our resident big cat owner:

All my domestics have their claws. However, my Bobcats are declawed on the front and our cougar on all 4. The main reason is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
with Big cat s it is a true Human Safety issue ...

There is also the issue of vet care and their safety, that is the #1 reason why I did, not for my safety. I could handle my cougar with his claws and same with my bobcats, but if a vet would refuse to care for them, what do you do? Our vet uses laser and I should note, none of my cats have ever showed any signs of distress. The only time Carmelo did, was when I accidentally stepped on his front paw We were playing when this happened. He shook his paw, licked the toes for a bit, then we continued playing. I will be getting Bobcat #4 soon, a rescue and she is not declawed. I am not sure if I will declaw her though. I believe she is around 6 months of age and her claws are getting a bit large.
hmm I don't know what to say. I'm against it no matter what. I've made peace with the fact at the shelter I can't talk people out of two paw declaw....but any animals with 4 PAW declaw just seems so so so wrong to me...... they can't even scratch themselves.... it's such an innate thing for them to be able to do...for them to not be able to seems sort of cruel......

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never watch that show but I did catch it last night when I saw what the family was doing for the big cats. I cried my eyes out watching it, I'm so glad this family was picked to get a new home and new grounds for the cats. It was really a sight to see.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read that thread about big cat declaw. After what I saw last night I'm still totally on the fence, they had several tigers where it went horribly and they needed surgery. so sad.

As for the 4 paw declaw, I just can't agree with it, no matter what you provide them to scratch themselves on it just isn't the same.....

lilmonkeykeeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe that if you need to deprive an animal of its natural defense and behaviors and need to cut off body parts in order to make it more "manageable" then you have no right owning that animal. Zoos and sanctuaries have no problems finding vets to care for their cats.

I don't agree with big cat ownership or exotic animal ownership. very few people can do it right and so many animals end up exploited, abused and dying before their natural life span. Most people have these animals for the wrong reasons and end up getting hurt or dumping their animals. There are not enough good sanctuaries to pick up the slack. if you want to care for big cats and exotic animals, volunteer at a zoo or sanctuary they always need help and you can make a difference in some animals lives.

It's very sad what people do to their animals. It's nice that this program was able to try and help some people who want to make a difference.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lilmonkeykeeper

I believe that if you need to deprive an animal of its natural defense and behaviors and need to cut off body parts in order to make it more "manageable" then you have no right owning that animal. Zoos and sanctuaries have no problems finding vets to care for their cats.

I don't agree with big cat ownership or exotic animal ownership. very few people can do it right and so many animals end up exploited, abused and dying before their natural life span. Most people have these animals for the wrong reasons and end up getting hurt or dumping their animals. There are not enough good sanctuaries to pick up the slack. if you want to care for big cats and exotic animals, volunteer at a zoo or sanctuary they always need help and you can make a difference in some animals lives.

It's very sad what people do to their animals. It's nice that this program was able to try and help some people who want to make a difference.
THANK YOU. I agree exactly.

Mutilating an animal for any reason (except for their OWN health) is incredibly stupid. IMO.