or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Timeline of a URI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Timeline of a URI - Page 2

post #31 of 34
I would just wait, unless she sneezes continually. Just watch for the normal sick indicators, loss of appetite, lack of playing, change in behavior, etc. If you think she's going downhill, then call for an earlier appt, but otherwise, keep an eye on her.
post #32 of 34
Thread Starter 
No blood today, I have the cool mister going full time, it has been unusually dry here. Even I had a bit of blood when I did my nasal washing this morning.

They are both doing well except for the sneezing and discharge. I have a followup visit with the vet this Saturday anxious that the sneezing is going on 3 weeks. They are finishing up Baytril in a couple of days.
post #33 of 34
Thread Starter 
I sound like a broken record here. I don't want to start a new thread so interested posters will have the whole story.

Well, I went back to the vet and told him the girls were doing well but still sneezing. He recommended another 7 days of baytril which would make it about a month on antibiotics. Again the girls did fine and the last day of antibiotics was on Friday and guess what, the girls are still sneezing. One of them is still getting eye discharge, though it's not too gunky.

And I've noticed that though they are still eating, the energy level has been decreasing and tonight they've been really low energy. They're not even fighting anymore. I was supposed to see the vet on Saturday but called to move up to Thursday.

What's going on? Can the URI still be around? Why is it so stubborn? I'm feeding them a combo of dry Evo/Science Diet and wet Evo/Authority. I give them lysine in both the wet and dry foods. And a liquid cranberry probiotic to boot.
post #34 of 34
It's possible that there is a secondary infection to the URI and the current medication isn't treating the infection. It initially helps with the symptoms, but then it's effectiveness wears off. I would ask the vet to do a culture and sensitivity test of the nasal passage or throat (or eye), wherever there's discharge. This will tell the vet exactly what type of infection you're dealing with and the sensitivity test will show exactly what med will treat it.

With my girl who's very prone to URI due to herpes, we've found that drops in the nasal cavity helps clear up the linger infection causing the sneezes. The last time she had medication, we were giving her Zenequin (antibiotic) and nasal drops. We continued the drops until the bottle was empty and I think it helped clear up her bacterial infection to just a trace, which is excellent and she's been sneeze-free, with no snot slinging or sniffling for about 2 months.

Have they been tested for herpes using the Idexx Real PCR URD test? That could be something else to figure into the equation. If they do have herpes, that suppresses the immune system and it makes recovery time a bit longer than normal. Also, if they have herpes, there's no cure for it, but it can be managed very well. Switching to a grain free diet will help as well as adding lysine to their diet.

If your vet isn't willing to dig further to find out why this is continuing, I'd look around for a different vet and get a second opinion. Or, you may need to do your research here and other places online and ask for certain tests and treatment options. I'd highly recommend finding a cat only doctor if there's one in your area and getting a second opinion.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Timeline of a URI