Does anyone know what book this is??

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a book when I was in school, maybe elementary or middle school, and I keep thinking of it but I can't remember the name of it. I think I borrowed it from the library.

It is about a little girl whose parents moved to this old house, I think next to a cemetery. The little girl starts seeing another little girl's ghost and they become good friends. You end up finding out that the ghost girl drowned in the lake near their house. That's all I remember. Maybe the ghost tries to drown the little girl?? I don't know.

I remember that I loved the book, and thought maybe someone here would recognize it. Thanks!!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It wasn't "Wait till Helen comes," was it?

I read that one around grade 5 or 6 - family moves into a renovated church, I think, and the younger sister starts seeing the ghost of a gilr in the old cemetary - the ghost drowned in the lake, and later tries to drown the younger sister.

Does that sound right? I was reading it while my parents were house-hunting and I remember it added a whole new aspect to looking at old houses. I really did not want to move.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it IS Wait till Helen Comes!! Thank you!!!! I'll have to see if I can find it the next time we're at the book store.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I remember reading a The Doll in the Garden when I was 6 or 7 - but I couldn't remember the name till I looked that book up and seen what else the author had written. I never did read any of her other books, through.

Wow, I just realized that The Doll in the Garden is nearly 20 years old.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The very first book I read was "Dial M for Murder". My grade 5 English teacher had a huge collection of books in his office and he was always reminding students that they could come and borrow any of his books. One day I took him up on the offer and was glad that I did. It was an amazing book, and it was the book that got me interested in reading.

The next books I read were "Through the Looking Glass".

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Geez as soon as I read the description I knew it was Wait till Helen Comes. I loved that book so much. I have it still but its in two pieces from over reading!

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The next books I read were "Through the Looking Glass".
My 14-year-old "drama queen" is playing Alice in "Through the Looking Glass" at Middle school!

This "Helen" book sounds really good - my 4th grader would probably love it. Can you still get it at a library, do you think? Or do I have to look at Amazon?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

My 14-year-old "drama queen" is playing Alice in "Through the Looking Glass" at Middle school!

This "Helen" book sounds really good - my 4th grader would probably love it. Can you still get it at a library, do you think? Or do I have to look at Amazon?
You should still be able to get it at the library. I know it's available at the ones where I live.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

You sure can! After reading about it here, I ordered it from my library and it's on its way!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG I read "Wait Til Helen Comes"!! Crazy book, i used to love reading books that scared the begezzes out of me!!