I need your opinions regarding shots...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Jake is indoor only, coming into contact with no other cats. According to the clinic's protocol, indoor kittens like this need one distemper combo shots, a booster 3-4 weeks later, and then nothing until 1, when they get another booster. After 1, never again...
This was my plan. But, I'll be going on vacation with my family next week, leaving Jake with a sitter- my boyfriend lol. He has a 4 year old cat and 2 dogs. The dogs almost always stay outside though. I'm thinking since he will come into contact with my boyfriend's cat, maybe I need to give him another booster?? Because the outdoor/multiple cat protocol is three series of kitten shots, while he's only had 2. He is now 5 months old and will be 6 months old by then...Is it too late for boosters?? I'm confused ...I didn't think about this when I decided to stick to the two series of shots protocol...The main thing is whether it's okay to give him a booster now that he is 5 months old..

I'm honestly TERRIFIED of leaving Jake. I'd rather cancel the vacation. I feel like he will receive so much less attention...I know my boyfriend loves him but he works 8 hours a day, Jake will be alone..And no matter how much attention my bf can give him, I still feel like it won't be the same... But I can't cancel because we are going to Bulgaria to visit grandparents and other family..They would be gravely disappointed if they knew I choose to stay with my cat rather than visit them since i haven't seen them in about a year..

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If Jake is healthy and your boyfriend's cat is indoor with a completely clean bill of health, I don't see any reason why they can't atleast be in the same environment? Despite the protocol, they very well might take into consideration your situation and not have a problem with it. My vet was very flexible with certain things knowing that I was responsible, and by the way you communicate, I know for a fact that you are very responsible when it comes to your sweet Jake!

It takes awhile for most cats to get to the point of tolerating each other anyway. Have they met before? Do you guys have a plan when it comes to the introduction, like if they don't get along? Maybe a separate room?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He shouldn't need the booster. The "outdoor cat" protocol they use is only to protect the kitten between boosters, extra boosters do nothing to extend the immunity. You should call your vet to ask for advice on this situation, though.

Your vet sounds awesome! I wish I oculd find one with such progressive vaccine protocols.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone
I guess I'm a little paranoid about leaving him. I will make an appointment with my vet soon because he needs a prescription for Revolution and still hasn't had his first rabies shot...so I will ask then....
But yea he will be in a separate room to avoid any fights with Tom, my boyfriend's cat.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

He is now 5 months old and will be 6 months old by then...Is it too late for boosters?? I'm confused ...I didn't think about this when I decided to stick to the two series of shots protocol...The main thing is whether it's okay to give him a booster now that he is 5 months old..
I can answer that question.

Kizzy is going to be 9mos old In April and has only had the first shots, no boosters. He's been sick, so everytime we go for the shots, we can't do them since he's is sick.

So if Jake needs another booster, ever (I don't think he would need anything now), he is not too old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I can answer that question.

Kizzy is going to be 9mos old In April and has only had the first shots, no boosters. He's been sick, so everytime we go for the shots, we can't do them since he's is sick.

So if Jake needs another booster, ever (I don't think he would need anything now), he is not too old.
Do you plan on eventually giving Kizzy that booster when he healthy enough? What I was concerned with was, if I do another booster now, won't that screw up the timing for the booster that he's supposed to receive at 1? Because I know a booster at 1 is very important, since the immune system is fully developed..And, if I do a booster at 6 months, won't it be too soon for another one when he turns 1? I'm probably thinking a bit ahead of myself..

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Do you plan on eventually giving Kizzy that booster when he healthy enough? What I was concerned with was, if I do another booster now, won't that screw up the timing for the booster that he's supposed to receive at 1? Because I know a booster at 1 is very important, since the immune system is fully developed..And, if I do a booster at 6 months, won't it be too soon for another one when he turns 1? I'm probably thinking a bit ahead of myself..
Yes, I plan on doing the initial set of shots as soon as he is healthy enough to do them. He had the first set + rabies, then was supposed to have boosters 4wks after, then again 4wks after that, for 3 sets in total..... I think there may be some issues arising because of the length of time between shots.... we vaguely talked about that last time I was in but didn't spend much time on the topic as right now we're focused on getting him healthy to get neutered.

He came to me at almost 5mos old with no shots.... couldn't get them the first check cuz of URI. Finally got the first shots in Jan. and that's all we've been able to do.

I would call your vet and ask them about it....they should be able to just tell you over the phone about the timing and such.