Twilight - The Movie

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rented it on VOD because of all the hype when it was released in the theaters, and I love movies about vampires.

Here are my thoughts.

The acting was terrible! Everyone was so dark and brooding, even Alice who in the book gave me the impression of a perky, high energy very petite girl. She was none of that in the movie.

The makeup for the vampires was awful! In some scenes such as the one in the hospital near the end, you could see clear lines of demarcation where they didn't apply the white makeup. And in many scenes the ears were completely neglected too.

I understand the premise of the story being in a rainy/over cast setting, but it made for a very dreary movie. The wilderness scenery should have been spectacular, but the rain, cloud and haze made it bleak and "ho hum."

There were a few interesting scenes, one being in the ballet studio and the fight between Edward and James, and the one with them cooking was comical, but over all the movie was very slow paced and quite lack luster.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alice is my favorite character...I thought she was awesome in the movie though..The movie was very very different from the way I imagined it. None of the actors matched the characters IMO..I liked Alice in the movie but she was not the Alice I imagined...

tabbycalicogurl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I loved the movie
IMO never go to a movie thinking it is going to be like the book,as good as the book,or the people looking like you see them as said in the book.

I thought the acting was good.At first it seemed like there were feeling out the charactors they were playing but after about a half-hour they seemed to become more comfortable playing those charactors.I also loved the music.
But that's just me.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Olympic Penninsula of the Washington coast is, in real life, very bleak, dreary and ho-hum.
It is a rainforest afterall.

The movie was nothing like the book.
But it was great all things considered, I went in, knowong not to expect it to be like the book, and I was very entertained.
Toby didn't read the books and he thought it was pretty darned good for a 'chick flick'.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never read the books or seen the movie.Never had an interest and because it became so popular,that made me avoid it even more.Thanks to your post,I am definatly not wasting my time now!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The movie was COMPLETELY different from the way I read it in the book....

HOWEVER I loved it and bought it the day it came out and am totally looking forward to New Moon coming out in theaters in Novemeber

Sam, I completely agree about the baseball scene! LOVED it! I have the song fromt that scene as my ringtone on my phone!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

I never read the books or seen the movie.Never had an interest and because it became so popular,that made me avoid it even more.Thanks to your post,I am definatly not wasting my time now!
I had that attitude for a while...but then gave in and we rented it this past weekend. It was good. There is a reason why it has a cult following.

My FH didn't think he liked it...then the next morning he says, I liked Twilight. It kind of haunts you after the fact. Its pretty cool.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister read the books and loved them but she hated the movie. I don't usually avoid things because they're popular...there's just something about Twilight though, that just brings out my stubborn side.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

Originally Posted by kscatlady

My sister read the books and loved them but she hated the movie. I don't usually avoid things because they're popular...there's just something about Twilight though, that just brings out my stubborn side.
It's definitely not for everyone.

My daughter got me to read the books and just this past week she brought over the movie for us to watch. I loved the books (but I love reading pretty much anything anyways), like the movie. I don't like the guy they chose to play Edward but otherwise it was fun. It's just one of those things not to take too seriously and it can be fun.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I don't avoid everything that is popular...I just really had no interest in Twilight and the fact that everyone is obsessed with it has kinda turned me off.I had no interest in the POTC movies either for the same reason,but finally gave in and loved them! So who knows.

I do prefer to make my own opinions on movies and books,but I don't see myself going out and buying the Twilight books or movies.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rented it this weekend, and I think I've watched it about 10 times since Friday night. lol I LOVED it!! I also went in thinking that I wouldn't, and that it would be nothing like the book, but I think that helped me like it more. I think they stuck to the book pretty close, as much as they can for a movie made from a very long book. I agree, the characters (minus Edward b/c I knew who played his character) were nothing how I pictured them in my head. Especially Emmett and Jasper. I never noticed any bad makeup, but then again I didn't go in to critique the movie or pick out every flaw. I just enjoyed it for what it was...a movie. As someone mentioned, that part of the country is normally dreary about 90% of the time, if not more, and vampires are supposed to be pale. I didn't particularly like the lighting and how everyone was some shade of blue/green in some scenes but normal colored in others, but I still enjoyed it.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually it didn't interest me just from the commercials. I'm glad I didn't waste my money in the theatre or by renting it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love vampires but I never read the books. I don't read young adult books but prefer "adult" books

However, I may see the movie since I have nothing to compare it to. Otherwise, I never watch a movie based on a book I like. Its always a disappointment.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I love vampires but I never read the books. I don't read young adult books but prefer "adult" books

However, I may see the movie since I have nothing to compare it to. Otherwise, I never watch a movie based on a book I like. Its always a disappointment.
Well, I guess this 62 year old has been told!

Or, could it be that I'm entering my second childhood? I missed much of the first one so that's probably a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I never noticed any bad makeup, but then again I didn't go in to critique the movie or pick out every flaw.
I didn't either. But it's hard to miss streaky clown white makeup, or the fact that parts of their body (IE: ears) were completely neglected. It was something that jumped right out at me, I wasn't looking for it either.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I didn't either. But it's hard to miss streaky clown white makeup, or the fact that parts of their body (IE: ears) were completely neglected. It was something that jumped right out at me, I wasn't looking for it either.
I must be oblivious then, b/c I've watched it many times in the past few days and I missed it. Even so, I wouldn't completely write off a movie b/c of "bad" makeup.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Well, I guess this 62 year old has been told!

Or, could it be that I'm entering my second childhood? I missed much of the first one so that's probably a good thing.
I agree. The books may have been targeted at teenagers, but I didn't find it childish. I'm 31 and I completely enjoyed the books, and I know MANY adults that have read them and also loved them. So by your reasoning, young adults can never read "adult" books?? I read "adult" books all the time when I was a teenager.