Am I preparing myself for real kids?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just have to wonder... with all the time and care that I'm putting into taking care of Ally and Ollie's health issues as they present themselves - is this somewhat of a training ground for having real kids? Like... human kids lite? Am I going to come out of this more prepared for the real deal one day?

Just curious.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I feel like this too...But I can't help but think, if I am this paranoid about my cat, I can't imagine how scary it is to have kids. I'd go crazy with worry over the smallest things lol ..I'm thinking I'd better stick to cats to save myself the trouble lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But I can't help but think, if I am this paranoid about my cat, I can't imagine how scary it is to have kids.
I know... seriously.... right? It has to be terrifying.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can prepare you for long lasting happy human relationships too.
I was attracted to my husband by watching the great way he was taking care of his pet! It was a huge plus!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Caring for a pet and caring for a child are miles apart. The responsibility is, of course, the same, but the care is totally different.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Sometimes I feel like this too...But I can't help but think, if I am this paranoid about my cat, I can't imagine how scary it is to have kids. I'd go crazy with worry over the smallest things lol ..I'm thinking I'd better stick to cats to save myself the trouble lol
I know! I told my friend at work that I was having second thoughts about having kids. If worry this much about Cammy, I don't think I can handle all the worry having kids would involve.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO as a parent of a human child, I believe that caring for dogs is much closer to caring for human children than caring for cats is.

Dogs can't be left alone the same way cats can, they require much more attention, walks, they need you more emotionally than the cats do.

I'm not discounting the responsibility we have to our cats AT ALL, just saying that dog owners, again, IMO, have a much higher level of responsibility and hands on, involved care than do we cat owners.

I'd rather have 25 cats to take care of than one more human child, LOL. And the only reason I don't have a dog is because I don't want that level of responsibility.

I like my kitties.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

IMO as a parent of a human child, I believe that caring for dogs is much closer to caring for human children than caring for cats is.

Dogs can't be left alone the same way cats can, they require much more attention, walks, they need you more emotionally than the cats do.

I'm not discounting the responsibility we have to our cats AT ALL, just saying that dog owners, again, IMO, have a much higher level of responsibility and hands on, involved care than do we cat owners.

I'd rather have 25 cats to take care of than one more human child, LOL. And the only reason I don't have a dog is because I don't want that level of responsibility.

I like my kitties.
I think so too, with all the potty training and meals at the exact same time, taking the puppy out at the precise time to avoid accident, etc...I think that in itself is a full time job! And the bathing. Thankfully it only goes on for a few months, unlike a human baby whose entire first 7 years are more or less crazy....Cats are so much more independent and take care of themselves..

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I think so too, with all the potty training and meals at the exact same time, taking the puppy out at the precise time to avoid accident, etc...I think that in itself is a full time job! And the bathing. Thankfully it only goes on for a few months, unlike a human baby whose entire first 7 years are more or less crazy....Cats are so much more independent and take care of themselves..
My son is 10 and still pretty dependent. Even at 18 children are dependent on us for some things. As parents you never stop taking care of your children.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what's crazy? I was looking at some of your threads last night, thinking "gosh, he is so paranoid over his kitties - what's going to happen when he eventually has his own children?".

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do you know what's crazy? I was looking at some of your threads last night, thinking "gosh, he is so paranoid over his kitties - what's going to happen when he eventually has his own children?".
lol he is a very 'perfectionist' kitty daddy for lack of a better word...I was that way too when I first got Jake...slowly though I'm learning to be a little more relaxed for my own sake and health

browneyes106

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think pets can sort of prepare you for parenthood because you learn patience and learn to adapt any problems that arise and also learn how to manage time and space.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by browneyes106

I think pets can sort of prepare you for parenthood because you learn patience and learn to adapt any problems that arise and also learn how to manage time and space.
You make it sound so easy

My FH swears I will be a good mother to our children because of my maternal instinct with Trout. I tell him he is crazy, and I honestly believe that maternal instinct for my furbaby is alot different than it will be with a baby. I am terrified of not having the instinct with a real child.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are easy to care for compared to children who have a will of their own and demand to do their own thing and defy you at every chance they get AND love to give you silver hairs!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. Not everyone who has pets have children. I've always loved animals and I knew from a very young age that I didn't want to have kids. At 47 I still don't want any kids, but I would take on my cats if I were able to.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think having pets (especially the young of any species) is a sort of preparation for parenthood - for a lot of us, it's the first time we learn to put someone else's care and happiness before our own - even if it's just a matter of not going out to a bar or movie right after work because we need to get home and check and feed our babies, or to rework the budget so that they get better food, toys, and medical attention. And, yes, reacting to things that don't go as planned, and the unexpected - whether it's stepping into a hairball or racing to the ER vet.

I do think how you care for pets is a great sign of a person's character. And, honestly, a little paranoia when you first become a parent, pet or human, is a good thing, I think (of course, I was the same way!)