Bengals! Another funny trait...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a funny trait of Max's, anyway.

He has this really weird habit of standing up on his hind paws, barking up at the ceiling in certain spots in the house: up on top of his cat tree in the living room, barking up at the ceiling over the window; up on top of his cat tree in my bedroom, barking up at the ceiling above him and over the nearby closet doorway; and on top of my sewing machine cabinet that sits behind my computer desk, again, he stands up on his back paws, reaches as high up on the wall as he can with his front paws, and barks up at the ceiling above it.

And when I say bark, I mean BARK! It's practically a WOOF!
Completely different than the chittering/chattering noises that he and the other cats make when they are watching the birds and squirrels and spiders and ladybugs.

There appears to be no reason for it, but it's done with VERVE! And there's never anything there!

Do you think he's yelling at Ceiling Cat?

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he's barking at ceiling cat, does he get an answer?

I think you're probably ok as long as Max doesn't decide he's really basement cat.

Or he's trying to tell you there are squirrels in the attic or bats or .......maybe he sees dead people ???

Have a nice night!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Maybe he's "chuffing?"
No, I've seen him chuff when he's attacking Da Bird, this is a real, honest to goodness bark! Sort of a "Rah! RrrAH!" Really hard to describe, but it makes me laugh every time he does it!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Lucy will do a "woof" "woof" sometimes if I'm holding her and she sees something she doesn't like. Neither of the other cats make any sound like it.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bengal doesn't bark but she has a weird things she does. Her favorite is to get in the bathtub and sing opera. That cat has formed some serious notes and wild noises!!!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats hilarious!
Perhaps he was a pomeranian in a past life?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fiona likes to "spit" at everything. She has a very active imaginary life.
I can only imagine what she must think she sees!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Betsy, you know Max has his history that may influence his behavior. He crossed over and came back.
Maybe he met a nice dog he likes to communicate with?

Seriously though, bengals do some weird stuff and I wouldn't have it any other way. After 11 years of breeding and living with these characters, they still make us laugh nearly everyday.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Siamese cat used to spit and raise the roof at seemingly nothing. Maybe our houses are haunted...lol?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Well Betsy, you know Max has his history that may influence his behavior. He crossed over and came back.
Maybe he met a nice dog he likes to communicate with?
So maybe he's communicating with Ceiling DOG as opposed to Ceiling Cat.
That might make sense...

Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Seriously though, bengals do some weird stuff and I wouldn't have it any other way. After 11 years of breeding and living with these characters, they still make us laugh nearly everyday.
Honestly, my life has been more enriched by these cats than I ever would have expected. That includes all of them, but none make me laugh the way Max does.

Well...ok, except maybe Bonnie, but that's because she's a 6 month old domestic tabby kitten that THINKS she's a "bengul."