Q-Tip Addiction

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Johnboy has a SEVERE Q-Tip addiction and will do anything to get his fix.
Seriously though, I could hide them under the house without his knowing and he'd probably dig his way down to retrieve them. At one point I put them in a bag on a shelf high above the toilet when he was fast asleep in the opposite side of the house, but a few hours later I rushed to the bathroom after hearing a crash, only to find it had snowed Q-Tips!

He loves them so much, I don't keep them from him anymore. I do pull off the swabs at the ends, though, to keep him from eating them. It's actually become a great tool for constructive and challenging play by leaving them in the box for him to strategically dig out.. kind of like a treat ball, I guess, but much cheaper!

Any other cats here with the same addiction? It's OK.. we're all the same here..

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We ended up getting trashcans with lids in the bathrooms because Lucy is obsessed with them. She always knew one was there and would go digging for them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby loves Q-Tips, especially used ones. I allow her 1 or 2 supervised Q-Tips per week. I hold the Q-Tip and she licks and bites off little bits of the cotton ends and eats them. I asked the vet about it and he didn't seem concerned. So she's been eating the occasional Q-tip for over 10 years
And she's just as excited about them now as she was the first time she found one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

And she's just as excited about them now as she was the first time she found one.
That's the best part about it!
Who needs a bunch of balls and mice, etc., when a single Q-Tip (or a handful!) makes them go absolutely bonkers?!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could let Jordan play with q-tips. The problem is he likes to eat them, stick & all! One day I was holding one while watching TV, waiting for a commercial to throw it away. Out of the blue Jordan runs up, bites it in half & takes off. I know he ate it because in about 2 days I saw part of it in the litter box. I used to not be able to give him milk rings for the same reason, now I've found as long as none of the other cats try to steal them he's fine. As soon as one of the other cats tries to play with it he will eat it. Silly Jordan, you can't play with it anymore if you've eaten it.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both of my boys love them. Recently Harvey climbed up onto the bathroom counter, opened the medicine cabinet, and found the Q-Tip box. I walk into the bathroom and he's batting down paw fulls to Luke. He has seen me get them down from the medicine cabinet, but never would I have thought he would be so sneaky to get them himself! They now have been moved into a little tupperware container. Wonder how long until the figure out that one....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Both of my boys love them. Recently Harvey climbed up onto the bathroom counter, opened the medicine cabinet, and found the Q-Tip box. I walk into the bathroom and he's batting down paw fulls to Luke. He has seen me get them down from the medicine cabinet, but never would I have thought he would be so sneaky to get them himself! They now have been moved into a little tupperware container. Wonder how long until the figure out that one....
LOL.. how cute! What smart little boogers.
I'll be waiting for the coming day you post a thread all about how they figured the Tupperware out!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just about to make a new thread about how Wickett now begs quite insistenatly for Q-tips in the mornings! We have our morning routine which used to consist of him laying against the tub while I shower then getting a good scratch once I was out and dry. Once he'd had enough scratches he'd go sit by the closet door and patiently wait for me to get out the Q-tips. Once or twice a week I give him one to play with while I get ready then it goes into the trash before I leave. It's the cotton on the end he's after... he once destroyed a piece of art that my friend's 2yo son made for us just because it had cotton balls on it. Anyway, because of the baby we've taken the door of the closet and moved their litter box into the bottom. The trash and Q-tips are now on higher shelves and instead of patiently waiting for his cotton treat he sits in front of the closet and whines constantly until I either give him one or leave the bathroom. It's so bad that he tries to grab my hand when I go to throw them out! While I'm swabbing my ears he "yells" at me as if lectureing me for not giving him one too!