Anyone tried the new applaws dry food? Compared it to Orijen?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do try to keep up to date with the foods on offer that are the best for my 2.5 year old little boy, problem is, I don't know enough!! I am currently feeding James Wellbeloved dry whilst also feeding high quality wets. I know the James wellbeloved is a good one but for anyone more knowledgable, whats the best dry food- James Wellbeloved, Orijen or the new applaws dry food? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

I do try to keep up to date with the foods on offer that are the best for my 2.5 year old little boy, problem is, I don't know enough!! I am currently feeding James Wellbeloved dry whilst also feeding high quality wets. I know the James wellbeloved is a good one but for anyone more knowledgable, whats the best dry food- James Wellbeloved, Orijen or the new applaws dry food? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!
Applaws seems pretty good, with 80% chicken and 20% vegetables. I can't see the ingredient list, which makes me skeptical. If you have it, can you please post it?

James well beloved: White rice (min 26%), turkey meat meal (min 26%), turkey fat, maize gluten, potato protein (min 9%), poultry gravy, tomato pomace, omega-3 oil supplement, chicory extract, carrot, cranberry extract (min 0.05%), DL methionine, lysine hydrochloride, taurine, threonine, zinc methionate, yucca extract, rosemary oil. - I wish the first ingredient wasn't rice, and that there was no maize gluten.

Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs,deboned turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt. Orijen is a very clean forluma, packed with human grade proteins, and grain free.

IMO the best is Origen, but the three of the are good in quality - again, assuming there are no by-products on the first one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your help!!!
This what I got from the site:

Applaws Dry Cat Food

80% Chicken - 20% Vegetables and Natural extracts.

Cereal Free. Prebiotic - naturally hypoallergenic. Enriched with Mineral DHA EPA. Naturally preserved with Vitamin E and Rosemary oil. Developed with vetenarians. Natural Cranberry extracts - helps maintain urinal tract health.

Ingredients:
Dry chicken meat, dry potato, fresh chicken, poultry oil, poultry gravy, beet pulp, dry whole eggs, brewers dried yeast, salmon oil, cellulose plant fibre, cranberry extract, yucca extract, citrus extract, rosemary oil extract.

Typical Analysis:
Protein 47%, oils and fats 27%, Ash 9.9%, Fibre 2%, Calcium 2.0%, Phosphorous 1.6%, Vitamin A 12,000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1,200 iu/kg, Vitamin E (tocopherol) 600 iu/kg. Copper (cupric Sulphate) 12 mg/kg. Contains Tocopherol rich extracts of original origin. <15% Carbohydrates. No added artificial colourants, flavorings or preservatives.

What do you think?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Hi, thanks for your help!!!
This what I got from the site:

Applaws Dry Cat Food

80% Chicken - 20% Vegetables and Natural extracts.

Cereal Free. Prebiotic - naturally hypoallergenic. Enriched with Mineral DHA EPA. Naturally preserved with Vitamin E and Rosemary oil. Developed with vetenarians. Natural Cranberry extracts - helps maintain urinal tract health.

Ingredients:
Dry chicken meat= chicken meal here, dry potatoLOTS of starch/ carbs ie more than some rices , fresh chicken, poultry oil, poultry gravy?? to anyone in the UK who knows what this is , beet pulpcommon allergen but a good prebiotic, dry whole eggs, brewers dried yeast, salmon oil, cellulose plant fibre, cranberry extract, yucca extract, citrus extract, rosemary oil extract.

Typical Analysis:
Protein 47%, oils and fats 27%, Ash 9.9%I prefer to see lower , Fibre 2%, Calcium 2.0%, Phosphorous 1.6%, Vitamin A 12,000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1,200 iu/kg, Vitamin E (tocopherol) 600 iu/kg. Copper (cupric Sulphate) 12 mg/kg. Contains Tocopherol rich extracts of original origin. <15% Carbohydrates. No added artificial colourants, flavorings or preservatives.

What do you think?
reasonable ... Orijen IMHO is better... Wellbeloved is = IMHO

James well beloved: White rice (min 26%), turkey meat meal (min 26%), turkey fatYes I would prefer the rice not be first but realize it is= to the meat so the meat and the fat out weigh the grain
, maize glutengood for UTI health in a dry food with poultry , potato protein (min 9%)WHY that is a lot of plant protein , poultry gravy, tomato pomace, omega-3 oil supplement, chicory extract, carrot, cranberry extract (min 0.05%), DL methionine, lysine hydrochloride, taurine, threonine, zinc methionate, yucca extract, rosemary oil

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh! I thought I had found a good one there! Orijen is definately the next one to go for, I will just have to order it online. Is it a bad food then, the applaws dry? Should I not feed it to him at all? Or would it be okay to feed him the bag and then change? I don't want to fill him full of rubbish you see. Is it still a high quality food or not? I wish I knew as much as you guys about this stuff!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rubbish NO... the best out there not likely...I would say what is the cost...?? ie I can get kirkland ( moderate grain and meat like James Wellbeloved for 16 USD for 25 lbs( 12ish kilos) , grain free taste ( simliar to applaws for 24-29USD for 15lbs ( 7 ish kilos) or Orijen 16lbs is 38USD... I am using the first two just cause of cost ... all 5 are healthy and since I added a touch of grain in wet food NO UTI or PH issues

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The 2kg/4.4lbs bag of Applaws dry is about 14 gbp/20 usd and the James Wellbeloved 2kg/4.4lbs bag is 12.50gbp/17.90 usd. The Orijen which i think is the best? That is 16.95 for 2.5kg so thats 24.20usd for 5.5lbs.
I just have the one cat so I am lucky in the way that I can feed him the best I can get, problem that I am finding is what the best food is! At the moment he is on Applaws wet, natures harvest and purely wet, I have lots because he gets bored of his food really quickly
and he is a little bit spoilt

http://harlequin.eboxcms.co.uk/natur..._chicken.shtml

http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/applaws...ection=applaws

http://www.petsathome.com/find/categ...-is-20594#tabs

and he now has a bag of the applaws dry!

Do you think that the Orijen dry is best? What wet is a high quality food? I am confused. Do you think its would be okay to feed him the bag of applaws dry that I have or is it not good for him? Thanks for all your advise!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Applaws is a good food , Yes IMHO Orijen is better ... so yes it is fine to feed

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it! I am sure my lovely little cat does too

leannehammer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trying to find a good quality dry food for my babies! I was feeding them Wellness salmon, which they hated. So, I switched them to Go! grain-free trout. They liked the Go!, but Istra developed stomach issues (diarrhea/soft stool). I then switched them to Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Kitten and her diarrhea cleared up. But, reading online reports made me really nervous of the Nutro (it was one of the recalled foods, there have been lots of complaints about it). So, I switched them to Innova EVO. And Istra has developed loose stool again. It's not as bad as with the Go! food . . . and they've only been on the Innova for about a week, so it may just be adjusting to a new food.

babymaybe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been sent a bag of Applaws and my cat really loved it and I see from the web site that show champions have been fed exclusively on the new Applaws dry. I was however concerned that they were using dry potato as the previous comment was that potatoes are high in starch but on the Applaws pack it has less than 15% carbohydrates which is lower than any kitten food I know of. I was also concerned about the cellulose plant fibre so I phoned then (0800 083 0599) to ask what it was there for. The person I spoke to was very helpful and she explained that the natural plant fibre was there to help reduce fur balls. I also asked them if they were using chicken meal. They informed me that the chicken used was 100% British chicken and they only use the best bits and all the other bits such as feathers & beaks etc were all removed and unlike some brands they refused to use any battery hens. They actually use more chicken compared to any other dry food in the world with 80% pure chicken? I have also found out that the ash content is actually lower than the Orijen product. I have tried the Orijen product but my cat would not go any where near it but she loves the Applaws dry food and she looks so healthy on it.