Those darn squirrels!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually it's just one black one who would be so adorable if he WASN'T EATING MY FRESH SPRING GROWTH!!!!!! Little bugger isn't scared of me at all! The joke of it all is I live in NYC! They are fat, well fed little buggers! Why does he have to go for my plants??!!! I made a homemade spray, garlic, cayenne pepper, and paprika, hopefully it works! The Blood meal barely keeps him from digging!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squirrels are so destructive. They've been on my "poop list" ever since one chewed up a $100 hammock just MINUTES after I hung it in the backyard!!! I've also seen them kill nests of newly hatched songbirds---just for meanness.

I have a friend who is a wildlife rehabber and she's offered to loan me traps to put in my yard. She'd then take the squirrels for "raptor food." I've not yet resorted to that as I now have cats who keep them mostly on the run.

First vomit from above and now squirrels--when will it end for you???!!!

C

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

First vomit from above and now squirrels--when will it end for you???!!!

C
SO your familiar with my battles! That girl moved out, thank god! Now it's a darn squirrel battle!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Call the vomiter...tell her she forgot her squirrel!!!!
Thank you for that!!!!!! I needed it!

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd loan you my greyhound but you live a little far away. So far here, it's Lacey 6, squirrels 0. The tree rats now know to run when they hear the backdoor open. If they wait till they see the dog.......it's too late!

I'm pretty much a live-and-let-live type person, but the squirrels can be so destructive that I don't feel too bad if she gets one. Digging up my container gardens, chewing up the bird feeders, destroying bird nests and once they got into my attic.

You have my sincere sympathy. By the way southern-fried squirrel is pretty tasty.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

I'd loan you my greyhound but you live a little far away. So far here, it's Lacey 6, squirrels 0. The tree rats now know to run when they hear the backdoor open. If they wait till they see the dog.......it's too late!
I never once had a squirrel in my backyard when I had 2 greyhounds. Hmmmm......

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I never once had a squirrel in my backyard when I had 2 greyhounds. Hmmmm......
Thats what Grey hounds love to do, run down prey!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, lucky you!
Squirrels can be so annoying and destructive! I've tried a number of things to get rid of squirrels from sprinkling peppercorns, ground white or black pepper and even laying out small pieces of ammonia soaked rags. Although, I have had good luck with mixing 4 Tbsp of hot sauce, like habanera, w/ 1qt white vinegar and spraying it around the perimeter of the plants. Maybe try spraying peppermint? But, with all these you have to constantly repeat the process because the rain will wash it away. The last alternatives are chicken wire, using squirrel traps or calling animal control.
Good luck!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Oh, lucky you!
Squirrels can be so annoying and destructive! I've tried a number of things to get rid of squirrels from sprinkling peppercorns, ground white or black pepper and even laying out small pieces of ammonia soaked rags. Although, I have had good luck with mixing 4 Tbsp of hot sauce, like habanera, w/ 1qt white vinegar and spraying it around the perimeter of the plants. Maybe try spraying peppermint? But, with all these you have to constantly repeat the process because the rain will wash it away. The last alternatives are chicken wire, using squirrel traps or calling animal control.
Good luck!!
I made a garlic, cayenne pepper and paprika spray, It should work! These NYC squirrels are much more daring, I think it's a new breed, like the Jackelope!!!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My greyhound never caught a squirrel but she did leap up and pluck a poor dove out of the air one time.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That pesky bugger! Now all I can smell is garlic when I open a window! He may have one tonight, but it's not over, oh no, it's not over.......
I shall be victorious!
eventually........

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

That pesky bugger! Now all I can smell is garlic when I open a window! He may have one tonight, but it's not over, oh no, it's not over.......
I shall be victorious!
eventually........
Sorry you have an annoying squirrel but at least with all that garlic you won't have any vampires ....or unwanted solicitors!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put mothballs in my garden. The old fashioned ones - not the crystals. They make my garden smell awful, but they seem to do well at keeping bunnies and squirrels out of my garden - not to mention the neighborhood cats don't like them either and they stay out of my flowerbeds.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I put mothballs in my garden. The old fashioned ones - not the crystals. They make my garden smell awful, but they seem to do well at keeping bunnies and squirrels out of my garden - not to mention the neighborhood cats don't like them either and they stay out of my flowerbeds.
Now THERE'S an option I never would have thought of! I'll try moth balls in my garden! Thanks!

Oh noes! Attack of the fillet-o-fish!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That was my first thought too. Great minds think alike
. They actually keep a lot of things out of gardens, including deer (but you probably don't have to worry about them in Manhattan...but who knows?)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mothballs are poisonous. They not only cause soil damage and effect plant growth, but lethal to wildlife and pets....Crushed garlic cloves work just as well and environmentally friendly