Weird question, re: waxing (ladies)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter who will be 13 in July, will be needing some maintenence in the bikini area.... I would like to take her to be waxed.... but I'm curious if shops have an age where they will or will not bikini wax? Has anyone here ever taken their young daughter for a wax? (my daughters has had her eyebrows waxed, and has no issue with being waxed)

Yes I know I can call, but I'm more looking for personal experiences on this topic.

If we can't get waxed, then she will shave what needs to be shaved...but I worry about the dreaded razor bumps as I get them no matter how I shave.... plus I know with some people, if you start waxing at an early age (any area) sometimes the hair will quit growing...(friend of mine was like that....waxed regularly as a teen, by the time she was in her 30's, she did not need to wax again.... which would be great)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say for sure but I suspect it wouldn't be a problem if your with her. Heck, the lady I was getting waxed by was willing to let my hubby come in with me. Oh, but I will say that having you eyebrows waxed and having your bikini waxed are two totally different beasts!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*shivers* ugh no advice to give on this but I will be watching this thread! I'm debating on going before the beach this year, but I'm a chicken...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I can't say for sure but I suspect it wouldn't be a problem if your with her. Heck, the lady I was getting waxed by was willing to let my hubby come in with me. Oh, but I will say that having you eyebrows waxed and having your bikini waxed are two totally different beasts!
Yup, I have warned her about that
She's well aware that it may hurt. (she didn't think the eyebrows hurt at all)

I would prefer the waxing over shaving...you don't have to do it near as often, and since she's young and lighter haired than I am, if she starts waxing now I can see her potentially not having to deal with it later on.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

*shivers* ugh no advice to give on this but I will be watching this thread! I'm debating on going before the beach this year, but I'm a chicken...
Actually its not bad.... just ask around (friends) to recommend a place... some places are barbaric, and that makes it awful
May I ask how old you are? ( a teen?)

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find she can't do the waxing for any reason....my dd who is almost 12 has been shaving those hairs ever since they made an appearance. She's never had bumps or breakouts from it, which amazes me as her skin is ultra sensitive. She never liked the "look" of the hairs, and since she's a competitive swimmer, it's fine with me, especially since she has had so few problems with shaving.

By the way, there is a new home laser recently approved by the FDA for permanent hair removal called the Tria Laser. It's supposed to work really well. The price tag is a little steep--around $800 but still less than clinic done laser treatments and over time would be less that salon waxing.

Another option is home waxing, or sugaring. I've recently begun sugaring my brows to save $$$$ and find it works really well and less messy than wax. I know Natalie from Canada has posted about it and would consider her our "resident sugaring expert."

Hope you find a good solution. Girls are so high maintenance!

C

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Actually its not bad.... just ask around (friends) to recommend a place... some places are barbaric, and that makes it awful
May I ask how old you are? ( a teen?)
hehe 22. I just shave normally but I went from a full size tub/shower to an itty bitty shower and its proving very hard to shave!!!

Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Another option is home waxing, or sugaring. I've recently begun sugaring my brows to save $$$$ and find it works really well and less messy than wax. I know Natalie from Canada has posted about it and would consider her our "resident sugaring expert."

C
HERE HERE!

I tried making sugar wax once but I burnt it! There are a few people that sell kits of it on etsy.com like this

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the sugaring kit made by Parissa. It contains everything you need for good ol' time!

C

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think my salon that i go to does anyone under the age of 16?!.

I've never seen any girls of that age at the salon, and i've been getting waxed for some years now.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

If you find she can't do the waxing for any reason....my dd who is almost 12 has been shaving those hairs ever since they made an appearance. She's never had bumps or breakouts from it, which amazes me as her skin is ultra sensitive. She never liked the "look" of the hairs, and since she's a competitive swimmer, it's fine with me, especially since she has had so few problems with shaving.

By the way, there is a new home laser recently approved by the FDA for permanent hair removal called the Tria Laser. It's supposed to work really well. The price tag is a little steep--around $800 but still less than clinic done laser treatments and over time would be less that salon waxing.

C
Thx for the tips
I'll prolly get her to shave it and see if she reacts. I just worry that she'll be like me...but if she tries once before swimsuit time then we'll know.

I personally have tried home waxing, and not much success because its hard to get the skin taunt and then pull by yourself.

I don't know about the sugaring....I will have to check into that.

Thx everyone

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only get bumps if I use cheap razors or shave every day. I sure wish I could wax, but just doing my upper lip makes me wanna cry.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see soo many girls that age at the salon..I wouldn't expect any problems at all. I had a friend started getting her bikini area waxed at 11..I think it's absolutely normal for a 13 year old to go to the salon for this treatment. Btw, I've been hearing more and more very young girls are now doing things like laser hair removal and all kinds of special spa treatments- it's like some fad with them...I dunno if anyone else has heard of it.
As far as myself- I could NEVER stand waxing. One time I had my bikini area waxed and there was blood where the hairs got plucked out...It was so terrible. So yea I resort to shaving and I do get razor burns alll the time..So I'm waiting to get some extra cash to get laser hair removal there.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! 13 and already waxing/shaving!!?

I use body sugar. It's less messy, less painful and more gentle to the skin than waxing because wax sticks to the skin, body sugar doesn't. I've been using body sugar since 1996 and the results are fabulous.

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread!

'scuse me, I'm going back to the games section

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you shave, to prevent razor burn, when you finsh, dry the area really well, then use a lotion and rub in really well, then add baby powder and rub it in to the area, but you have to do it immediately after showering and there will never be razor burn/bump.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Möbius

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread!

'scuse me, I'm going back to the games section
Huh???

I assume b/c you're a guy? But why the cringe face? Hey guys wax too.
I always get annoyed when guys pretend like all the girly stuff makes them grossed out or what not..Come on let's be real we all have to put so much work into looking the way we do so why not get some credit for it? Instead guys choose to pretend like they don't want to know ANY PART of how we enhance our beauty
Don't feel like i'm going off on you, I'm just saying in general...I know you may not have even meant it that way.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

If you shave, to prevent razor burn, when you finsh, dry the area really well, then use a lotion and rub in really well, then add baby powder and rub it in to the area, but you have to do it immediately after showering and there will never be razor burn/bump.
That's a really good tip, I'm going to try that!!! Although I will need to run to the store for the baby powder...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question: why would a thirteen year old have to wax their bikini area?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I have a question: why would a thirteen year old have to wax their bikini area?
My thoughts exactly. Kids need to be kids and IMHO there is no reason to be waxing bikini areas or even shaving legs etc. Heck, I wasn't allowed to do any of that until I was 15 years old!

Kids are being forced to grow up way too fast these days!