table scraps

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I was just wondering what everyone thought about feeding table scraps. Not exclusivly and oviously not chicken bones, onion, choc. and other harmful things... When I brought Autumn home from the shelter she was sooo skinny, when she started eating she ate so fast like she would never be fed again and I was trying to get her weight up so I started giving her scraps as well. Now she is at a healthy weight, but I still give her little tastes of my food, just wondering if you all do this as well...or totally against it?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to, but honestly now that the boys eat raw meat I feel bad giving them cooked meat knowing that raw is so much better for them.

I do let Jack drink the tiny bit of milk in the bottom of my glass in the mornings and they both get to lick my spoon if I eat vanilla ice cream.

Leslie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As in all things, moderation IMO is a good thing.

We give Bijou a tiny bit of whatever meat we are having for dinner. In fact he gets his own plate when we set the table each evening. When we sit down to eat Bijou sits beside hubby's chair and waits for my hubby to cut his meat and place his plate on the floor. As long as his total diet isn't table scraps and he is just getting a taste of your human dinner I personally don't see a problem with it.

Most cats (but not all) have a lactose intolerance so it's not a good idea to give them dairy products such as milk or ice cream or you could be dealing with a diarrhea issue.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once in a while I let Dharma have a little chicken (without salt or spices) because she loves it so - but normally I don't let them have people food. I would think as long as she's at a healthy weight, and the treats are a very small part of her total diet, not to worry.

But sometimes treats are just what you need to perk their interest up in eating.

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm guilty of it, and it seems pretty harmless as long as it's in moderation, safe for cats, and doesn't spoil their "dinner"
Bilo LOVES yogurt and it doesn't bother his tummy so I share with him sometimes

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the only food besides raw meat once in awhile would be ice cream(not purposely)He climbs in my sink and licks anything that had ice cream in it.
My mother inlaw is a whole different story and it really ticks me off she gives the cats and dogs everything and anything...I hate it.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only feed my cat his own food, he never has any of our food at all. I don't think that little bits here and there are bad for them but I just feel that his food is especially for him to be healthy and well that I don't want to mess up the balance. He definately gets all the nutrients and vits from his own food so we never give him anything else! He must think we are greedy! Hehehehe.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zephyer78

Hi,
I was just wondering what everyone thought about feeding table scraps. Not exclusivly and oviously not chicken bones, onion, choc. and other harmful things... When I brought Autumn home from the shelter she was sooo skinny, when she started eating she ate so fast like she would never be fed again and I was trying to get her weight up so I started giving her scraps as well. Now she is at a healthy weight, but I still give her little tastes of my food, just wondering if you all do this as well...or totally against it?
Alley has no interest in any snacks or treats but Persi eats just about everything that I know is OK for him to eat. His weight is holding steady and he is a very healthy cat so I do not worry about it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spoil my cats (and the dog). They always get a little sample of what we have for dinner mixed in with their normal food. I feel as long as the cats are getting their cat food and not having stomach/allergy problems with table food, then a little will not hurt them.

If your cat is refusing to eat cat food or gaining too much weight, then you have to be mean and not give them the extra treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cool...glad to know I'm not alone in feeding her people food! I was kinda suprised how many people feed raw meat though..I always thought there might be a parasite issue with that. Honestly though..if I had the time and $ I would like to feed just meat with some rice and veggies mixed in.. I don't entirly trust commercial pet food.....but thats another thread...

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

its kind of hard suprising your cats with a lovely bunch of flowers, a glossy magazine or a little present

Mine are 15, so toys aren't always that exciting anymore, besides- they go out and the garden is way more exciting then a da bird

So yes- every now and then they do get people food- mostly though food that we like and have bought because we know its OK for them to eat as well
... go figure.

Best treats of all though are raw meat. So I wouldn't buy spiced meat so they can get their share while I spice up ours. Butter's a favourite. One cat use to like half a fish finger without the coating.

christine

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am ok with a little treat now and then. if you feed a high quality cat food diet where they get their proper nutrition (whether its store bought or raw, etc.) and they get a little taste of something once in a while, what is the big deal?

My boyfriends RB cat Cato liked cantaloupe, Doritos, chicken..... very very small amounts on occasion.