canned food suggestions?

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when i bought the cat's food the other day i was told that the price of wellness canned food is going up again soon. i am already paying $33 for 12 12 oz cans. this feeds my kitties for 12 days. i pay more to feed these 2 guys than i pay to feed my dog and my ferrets! i feed the dog raw and the ferrets evo! i need a suggestion of what i can feed my kitties. i was told that the pet store is going to get nature's variety homestyle canned food in to kind of take the price range that wellness is going out of. the problem with this food is that the calories are too low. i need something that will give my cat's 220-250 cal/day. the 12 oz can of wellness is perfect for them, it has just the right amount of calories for them to split a can a day. i tried feeding them felidae but that did not work out at all! i was feeding them wellness one day and then felidae the next and they stopped eating any canned. they really didn't like the felidae. i was able to return the felidae, thank goodness. i had to feed them kibble for about a week before i could get them eating enough canned again.

i really don't want to go back to kibble with them. frodo was losing weight so well on canned and he seemed to have so much more energy. blue prefers the canned anyway. i don't know what i will do when the price goes up again if i can't find something to replace it.

can you suggest anything that is about 220-250 cal/5.5 oz can that is a reasonable price and is not felidae? i was paying $23 for 12 12oz cans for the felidae. i can't afford to buy 3 or 4 cans of food a day to get the calories needed since most cans are at least $1.70 each! i really can't afford that. i also don't think that my cats would eat that volume of food. that is a lot of food for a 7 lb kitty to eat! i can't have her losing any weight!

thanks for any suggestions that you might have

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so, i just called my vet (who sells evo) and they have 13.2 oz cans of evo for $2.09! waaahooo! now, i just have to hope that my guys will eat it. it is the evo cat and kitten canned food. it is just $2 more than 12 cans of felidae. i should have checked it out earlier. i just assumed that evo would be so expensive.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

Why not feeds the cats raw?

Leslie
Not all cats will eat raw and not all cat owners are into preparing raw. I know that I personally would never do raw. We had one long-term member here who had some serious problems feeding her cats raw so I tend to stay away from that option.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was asking because she currently feeds her dog raw.

Another member throwing around the "we had one member who has serious problems with raw" I wish someone would talk about this in detail or quit bringing up, because its not helpful if we dont' know details.

Leslie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I was asking because she currently feeds her dog raw.

Another member throwing around the "we had one member who has serious problems with raw" I wish someone would talk about this in detail or quit bringing up, because its not helpful if we dont' know details.

Leslie
Do a search. I don't have time to do it for you right now but will try later unless you've already found it by then.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have tried raw over and over and they will not touch it. they are almost 12 and 7 1/2 and very set in their ways. believe me i would much rather feed everyone raw, cats, ferrets, and dog - it would be way cheaper - but they won't touch it.

i remember reading something about evo being "dryer" in consistency than other canned foods. i can't seem to find that thread now. i will do a better search. the felidae was very dry and dense in texture, i don't know if that is what they didn't like about it. does anyone have experience with the evo cat and kitten? is it "wetter" than the 95% meat formulas? i got prices for the chicken/turkey, beef, and venison 95% meat formulas and they are all in my price range. the duck and rabbit ones are too expensive. have any of you tried these flavours? i like to be able to rotate through different protein sources.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you.

i still couldn't find that thread where someone said that the 95% meat cans were much dryer than the other evo...maybe i dreamed it??

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so, i fed the evo canned tonight and it seemed a lot like the wellness chicken formula. frodo ate it right away and blue ate a little off my finger. i don't know if she just wasn't hungry. i will find out in a bit i guess if she likes it! i hope that it goes well...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of OT, but I didn't know Wellness had 12 oz. cans...does anyone know if they do have those here in the States?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Sort of OT, but I didn't know Wellness had 12 oz. cans...does anyone know if they do have those here in the States?
I get them ordered monthly

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Petco supposedly has it...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Petco supposedly has it...
MOST do not ... they have the 3oz and 5.5 oz cans ... you can order online the bigger ones

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

Is anyone familiar with Weruva wet food? http://www.weruva.com/
If so, what do you think about it? I was planning on trying either Wellness or Weruva.
very good but also very $$$ for what it is .. ie reminds me of meow mix wet... the cats did like it but at 99 cents for a 3 oz and 1.35-1.50 for 6oz it is pricey

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have not seen weruva around here. i don't really like the look of it. i don't know if i would pay all that money for peas and carrots for my cats. i know that most canned foods have veggies, but not that much.

update: the cats are not really liking the evo
they are eating it but not all of what they need to. can i wait them out as long as they are eating some? i really need to find something affordable. i think that wellness is going to be going up to somewhere close to the $40 range for 12 12.5 oz cans! i can't afford $40 for 12 days! argh!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

Is anyone familiar with Weruva wet food? http://www.weruva.com/
If so, what do you think about it? I was planning on trying either Wellness or Weruva.
I feed Weruva, and my cats love it, especially the "Paw Lickin Chicken." Not all flavors have vegetables, but Sharky is right - this is an expensive brand.

To the OP: I feel your pain. I've noticed price increases in various pet foods in the past year. Unfortunately, my guys are really picky, so my options are limited!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed EVO canned for $21/case for 13oz cans. I order it whenever petfooddirect emails a 22% coupon and that eliminates the shipping costs.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
California Natural also offers larger cans, at a more affordable price than some of the other brands. It isn't grain-free, though, if that's one of your criteria.