Poor babies

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were following me arround all morning wondering why I wasn't feeding them. Then at 7am I (rather unceremoniously) pour them into their carriers... neither of them were cooperating either. I pack them into the car and drive them 20 minutes to the vet. They are both having their teeth cleaned. Frankie is having (at least) one tooth pulled and a Sr. panel run. Wickett is having a small lump on his tail/bum checked out too. I feel so bad leaving them there and I hope everything goes well. Fortunately, the tech said they'd probably be ready to come home at noon and DH is going to go pick them up so they don't have to stay longer than necessary... but I still feel bad for them!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will forgive and forget - but, in my experience, you're due for a few hours of walking like a drunken sailor and perhaps some hissing, and with my guy, I couldn't provide food or water for 12 hours post-cleaning. But, by morning, all was well and lovey-dovey. I'm glad you were able to schedule them both at the same time. With me, I had to have my girl fast overnight as well, since my boy no doubt would have broken the door down if I'd tried to feed only her!

Good luck for quick and successful procedures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to check with the vet for post care. Frankie had hers cleaned last year too and she was ok when I picked her up but a bit grumpy. The tech actually had me come into the back to get her into her carrier. But if I remember right I was able to feed her that night? I'll have to double check when they call this afternoon.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow... so wasn't expecting that! The vet just called and there's NO way they'll be done before the end of the day. They are still working on Frankie and haven't even looked at Wickett. They wanted to x-ray 3 parts of her mouth and potentially pull those 3 teeth.... at a cost to me of 600-800 for Frankie ALONE! After much debate and heartache I told them to skip the blood panel and x-ray and just pull the teeth. This means that out the door for both (IF Wickett is ok) is 600-800. Still WAY more than we can afford with a baby coming in 2 months but what am I to do?! Then I call DH and he goes off about how it's not necessary and the vet is just trying to make a buck. So, here I am, standing in a mop closet at work just sobbing because I'm stuck between this rock and hard place. I'm under control now but this just sucks!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meaghan
I'm sorry about the money, I know it's bad timing with the baby coming. Joey just had 4 teeth pulled on Monday and it was just under $300, they checked his blood the week before and that was like $89 just for that
Everything will work out

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Meaghan
I'm sorry about the money, I know it's bad timing with the baby coming. Joey just had 4 teeth pulled on Monday and it was just under $300, they checked his blood the week before and that was like $89 just for that
Everything will work out
At this point I would LOVE a $300 bill. I don't get why it's costing so much... I've had my 5 wisdom teeth pulled for less that what this is going to cost me.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the grand total is $713.04! They said all three teeth would have needed pulled anyway. Wickett got a clean bill of health. The Dr. thinks the lump I found a few weeks ago is probably just scar tissue and told me to keep an eye on it for any changes. I'm going to leave work in about an hour and DH and I are going to pick them up together so I can ride in back with them. It's still more than double what I was expecting but less than my tax return so it's ok.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my vet is just very conservative - and my boy was definitely an unhappy camper when he woke up. They put him back into his nice big sherpa bag, but he was hissing at everyone when I came to pick him up.

But I felt so bad - my vet said not to feed him til the next morning for some reason, and he got so hungry around 2:00 am I felt horrible. I got up and fed him tiny bits of food and watched with him to make sure he didn't gag.

Hope all is well as your house.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Well, the grand total is $713.04! They said all three teeth would have needed pulled anyway. Wickett got a clean bill of health. The Dr. thinks the lump I found a few weeks ago is probably just scar tissue and told me to keep an eye on it for any changes. I'm going to leave work in about an hour and DH and I are going to pick them up together so I can ride in back with them. It's still more than double what I was expecting but less than my tax return so it's ok.
I think my Vet is a bit cheaper than yours
That's great news about Wickett's lump

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I think my Vet is a bit cheaper than yours
That's great news about Wickett's lump
Ya, that was for 2 cleanings and 3 extractions. I'd love to find a cheaper vet but my family has been using this one for 30+ years and I guess I'm willing to pay a little more for that trust. Just like finding a personal Dr. finding a good vet is hard work so I'm reluctant to change.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, it's almost like those MC commercials - it's truly priceless when you have someone you can trust. No one wants to be taken advantage of, but sometimes a few dollars here or there don't make that much difference in the long run.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! That's a lot of money! I'm so glad my boys haven't needed any teeth work yet. So far Riley has perfect teeth without even a hint of tartar. Xander is getting tarter though and will probably have to get a cleaning in a couple years.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after this clean check-up I'm going to start brushing Wickett's teeth weekly if I can. He's pretty tolerant of grooming routine so adding teeth shouldn't be too hard.

Meanwhile, I think the Amoxicillian they gave me for Frankie isn't agreeing with her. We only gave her a few bites of wet food last night and this morning because we didn't want her to get sick. Well, I pilled her for the first time this morning after giving her a little more wet food and she's been throwing up since about noonish. It's mostly clear and foamy now and the last was about 30 minutes ago but she's back to no food or pills until her tummy settles down some.