Buying Revolution

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The thread about buying Frontline reminded me that I need to buy Ally and Ollie more Revolution by April 18.

What US based website has the best price on Revolution products?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy it from here:
http://www.petproductsontheweb.com/
The site is Australian based, but sells American Revolution and Advantage (the others might be from the US as well, but these are the only ones I use). They are legitimate; the product comes sealed in the original package, and it is exactly the same one I used to buy from the vet. It is only $29 for a 3-pack, and there is no shipping charges. I have been buying it from there for a while now, and I am completely satisfied.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to check pretty often, but now I just use Drs. Foster & Smith for my Revolution. Every once in a while you might find it a little cheaper somewhere else (in that case Drs. Foster & Smith will actually meet their price), but I don't even bother to check anymore, because in the last couple of years they have always been the cheapest or within a few dollars or less than the others.

When Sugar Ray was taking so much heart medication, they were the best place to order it also.

Anne

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may save a couple $ buying online, but always remember what you are buying may not be the same as what you would get from a vet. Even though the product is packaged to look the same doesn't mean it is the same. It may be a different strength than what the vet sells or it could be the same. You have no way of knowing unless you get it tested at a lab.

Factor in the cost of product, shipping, credit card charges and you may find that buying from your vet is not much more expensive, if at all, and you know you are getting a genuine product.

But then, I'm one of those folks that wouldn't buy any medication online whether it's for me or my pets. I just don't feel it is safe.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet has told me it is the same medications as from there. If you check it out (& I have), it is pretty much exactly the same price as the vet charges, minus the vet's dispensing fee, which is added in to the cost of the medicine from them. My vet charges approximately a $20.00 dispensing fee on medicine, even if it is just 1 or 2 pills.

People pharmacies do the same thing. That is why if you have half the prescription filled ,it is not half the cost.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution protects from all bugs, including heartworms right?? Cuz since your cats are indoors the only thing you need worry about is heartworms. I need to get some of that stuff for Jake too...He's never been on anything like that before..

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You may save a couple $ buying online, but always remember what you are buying may not be the same as what you would get from a vet. Even though the product is packaged to look the same doesn't mean it is the same. It may be a different strength than what the vet sells or it could be the same. You have no way of knowing unless you get it tested at a lab.

Factor in the cost of product, shipping, credit card charges and you may find that buying from your vet is not much more expensive, if at all, and you know you are getting a genuine product.

But then, I'm one of those folks that wouldn't buy any medication online whether it's for me or my pets. I just don't feel it is safe.
Doesn't it get regulated by the FDA? Wow that sounds so scary...Like, even if it's the same brand, and has all the ingredients listed, it could still be different?? I know all OTC and prescription drugs you get at drugstores have to be tested by the FDA while supplements like vitamins are not, that's why I rarely use any unless a dr. prescibes it..But what you said got me a little freaked out lol

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Revolution online is the same product you would be buying from your vet. BUT, they do not back ANY of there meds. So if it were defective, or for example if you religiously used it and your kitty still comes up heartworm positive, they aren't going to do anything about it. Also, you aren't getting that much of a price cut. And a lot of vets have a policy if you buy a six pack you get one dose free...so it really does evens out when you factor in piece of mind! Just something to think about.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Revolution online is the same product you would be buying from your vet. BUT, they do not back ANY of there meds. So if it were defective, or for example if you religiously used it and your kitty still comes up heartworm positive, they aren't going to do anything about it. Also, you aren't getting that much of a price cut. And a lot of vets have a policy if you buy a six pack you get one dose free...so it really does evens out when you factor in piece of mind! Just something to think about.
I agree with you except that not all online products are the same as you get from the vet. Some are a weaker dosage - depending on where you get it and won't work as well and sometimes not at all. Just as some OTC products do not work and some are dangerous.

As with everything, some sources are better than others for just about anything. Peace of mind is exactly why I prefer buying from a vet that I know than an online site I do not know. I'm also very hesitant to just give out my Visa numbers to any old website out there.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Doesn't it get regulated by the FDA? Wow that sounds so scary...Like, even if it's the same brand, and has all the ingredients listed, it could still be different?? I know all OTC and prescription drugs you get at drugstores have to be tested by the FDA while supplements like vitamins are not, that's why I rarely use any unless a dr. prescibes it..But what you said got me a little freaked out lol
I would assume that US products would be regulated by the FDA, but I believe someone mentioned buying products from a website that was in Australia so do you really know where those products are coming from? Those products could be coming from China. Or, other sites could be selling stuff from anywhere. I would assume though that a site like Dr. Fosters & Smith (?) would be reputable.

As for your comment re the same brand and ingredients list, there have been many instances of "knock-offs" being sold to unsuspecting people that "look and feel" like the real thing but are not so it's not always safe to "assume" they are the same.

As for being freaked out, anything you buy online, sight unseen, should be viewed as being possibly suspicious. Generally if something seems too good to be true, it really is too good to be true.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet practice I go to is very particular and they would not call in the prescription if they had any concerns about the medication being dispensed. I have always asked them about this. From their reaction I have every faith in the Drs. Foster & Smith, and the 1800 petmeds sites.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kody's Mom

The vet practice I go to is very particular and they would not call in the prescription if they had any concerns about the medication being dispensed. I have always asked them about this. From their reaction I have every faith in the Drs. Foster & Smith, and the 1800 petmeds sites.
If your vet has directed you to a location and in fact has called in a prescription for you, that would be a very good indication of a reliable source as I would assume they have thoroughly checked them out. There is a big difference between just ordering meds online and getting meds that were prescribed and ordered by your vet on an online service.

Just use your head and don't take everything you hear as gospel. Check it out with reliable sources, i.e., your vet or cat rescue people who have knowledge of these things.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Is there such a thing as Revolution spray? I've only ever heard of Frontline spray.
Ahhh - haven't had kittens in many years and maybe it was Frontline spray I used to use on them. You might be right.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I would assume that US products would be regulated by the FDA, but I believe someone mentioned buying products from a website that was in Australia so do you really know where those products are coming from? Those products could be coming from China. Or, other sites could be selling stuff from anywhere. I would assume though that a site like Dr. Fosters & Smith (?) would be reputable.
The products I buy from that website I gave come from the US - I have taken them to the vet, and they are legit. It comes sealed, in the American Package, with a valid Batch number. As I said, I can not speak for all the products in that site, as I don't buy them - the only ones I buy are Revolution and Advantage - both legit.

ETA: Correction: I checked, and I only buy Revolution from that site - I buy Advantage from another site.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest everyone buying Revolution open the box and the foil packs as soon as you get it, because I bought a box of three recently, everything sealed, and one of the tubes was empty. By the looks of it, there was a manufacturing defect and the liquid leaked out of the ampule while it was in the sealed foil pack. Not a big deal; they'll be replaced. But annoying if you have three cats and want to dose them all at the same time.