I got a wind/snow burn!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just like a sunburn, only there wasn't any sun out. Oh this stinks.

We got a BAD snowstorm/blizzard today. First real big snow of the season, which we desperately needed, so that was good. But when I went to work this morning, there ground wasn't even covered & it was barely snowing. Then it really started snowing around 9:15-9:30. My co-worker's daughter was at work because school was called off on a snow day. They left around 11:00 - it was snowing pretty good, and we had about 5" by then (yes, in 2 hours) but wasn't too bad. I had to wait until the delivery service picked up a package that had to be delivered today. She called it in at 10:00, with a 3 hour pickup window. By the time the guy showed up at noon, it was a full-on blizzard with white outs and everything. That's what I had to go out in and wipe off my car.

Finally got out of the office at 12:30. There was between 10-12" on the car. I helped a guy get up the little hill in our parking lot after he spun out for about 5 minutes. In that time that I was out there, my face - but mainly the left side - got totally wind/snow burned. It's BRIGHT RED and hurts. Slathering on the lotion and aloe now, that I have to find in the summer stuff.
Oh yeah...should have just stayed home and slept in!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh my gosh, Heidi. I'm so sorry you had to go out in this mess. (And can you believe we finally got snow this season?)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Must be sending that snow this way....it's supposed to snow here tomorrow!
Make sure to keep yourself bundled up when you go out, and hopefully your face heals quickly.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much snow did you finally get? I was chatting with our friends from your area and they said the snow was coming down so hard that he couldn't see the house across the street.

We're a bit nervous, cause that storm is supposed to arrive here in about 24 hours. The weather guys around here are predicting anywhere from 3 to 12 inches depending on where you live. I've lived here for 16 years and have only had 1 snow that deep in all that time. I've got to go out and cover all the flowers that have started to sprout. We're going to lose all the flowers that are covering the trees in the area.

Stay warm and safe and give the kitties more scritches.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We've gotten about 14 inches in Louisville (5 minutes east of Boulder) and it has started again with another 2-4 inches expected. The big problem with the storm is the wind as Heidi unfortunately experienced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we've got about 16" right now in Lakewood, we're right up close to the mountains, and another 1-3" predicted for the overnight. And yes, Amy, your friend's assessment was all too true. When I was at work, it would blow so hard with the heavy snow that I couldn't hardly see the trees on the other side of our parking lot - row of parking facing the building, driveway, row of parking on the other side, trees. So maybe 50' total? It was BAD. Of course, I managed to go out in the worst of it too.
Just my luck!

Hopefully it will lose some of the moisture with it by the time it gets to you! And don't go out if it's predicted for tomorrow for you!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Hopefully it will lose some of the moisture with it by the time it gets to you! And don't go out if it's predicted for tomorrow for you!
My DH told me that he wants to light the burn pile this weekend if it snows (we make sure the ground is good and wet when we burn). I reminded him about the wind that is coming along with the storm and he goes "oops". (and yes, we live in the country and burn the fallen tree limbs cause its just too much wood to use up in a fireplace) If he doesn't listen, I'll share the story of your wind burn.

The storm is supposed to hit here late afternoon / early evening. I'm going to work in the morning and am planning on leaving early to shop on the way home. I'm down to 2 cans of cat food and won't make it thru the weekend. The only redeeming thing about these storms is that you can get a good long snuggle in with the kids.

Maybe send some no snow vibes towards the east for all of us Oklahoma / Kansas / Missouri / Tennessee folks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Maybe send some no snow vibes towards the east for all of us Oklahoma / Kansas / Missouri / Tennessee folks?
Judging from the storm that hit us, and the fact that the southeastern part of Colorado is predicted to be getting 10-20" today, I think it's too late for "no snow" vibes. But I will DEFINITELY be sending "manageable snow" vibes!!!

Be strong at the grocery store Amy! If it's anything like here, whenever they say "snow" in the forecast, people act like they won't be able to get out for weeks!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Be strong at the grocery store Amy! If it's anything like here, whenever they say "snow" in the forecast, people act like they won't be able to get out for weeks!

You are absolutely right! I got to the grocery store about 1PM and the parking lot was more full than most Saturday's. I bought my normal 2 bags worth of groceries and others had their carts overflowing. And the only reason I went today is because they don't manage snow removal very well in this area and I doubt that I can get out tomorrow. And I was out of bread.

The predicted forecast is all over the board right now. Some are saying 3 inches and others are calling for 20 inches. The record snowfall for this area is 25" over a 2 day period in 1912. The second was 14" in 1993 (the year I moved here). We don't get the snow like you do. My dogs will be very happy - they love to romp in the snow.

And to think last weekend I was looking down at the pool from our deck and wondering if we should take off the cover. My bathing suite was already out. I wore my down coat to work this morning.